Speed Cameras Illegal??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's great news for all who have been convicted since 1992.

Could be. It's a test case with no verdict yet.

IIRC paying the ticket = acceptance of the offence whether it's legal or not so best not get your hopes up.

Shouldn't they spend our (your) money to something more useful than this at these hard times? What would be the outcome, lawyers getting paid for this instead of something useful. I don't see it good if those speeding (and getting caught ;) ) get money back while those who follow speed limits have to pay this (mostly).

By the way, I just upgraded my maps application and the new version should support both speed limit info and speed cameras. I guess these are still coming, at least not supported at my place. It is all free (unless you want to pay for navigation voice guidance or traffic info or so).
http://europe.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi/maps-beta

I don't think this will get speed cameras and their fines all made illegal, not because I don't believe that he's not right (don't know, could be), but because I think the judge will decide it would be too much hassle to try and undo the wreckage from all the tickets so far.

it shouldn't work like that, but I reckon it will

dave

I think you will find, if it is found that the cameras are illegal, the government will be legally bound to return the fines imposed at the time.
The judge will have no say on the matter.
Any compensation which may be sought because of loss of jobs etc is an entirely different thing.
Just my opinion.

I think you will find, if it is found that the cameras are illegal, the government will be legally bound to return the fines imposed at the time.

Just last week, a forumite hereabouts got a refund of a fine - originally due to stopping in an illegal box junction.

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Just about everything reported in the press is a "test case" of some description.The reality is that most arguments have been tried before and failed. When a "loophole lawyer" wins a case it is usually due to the fact that our Magistrates' Courts are run by lay magistrates who haven't a clue. Convincing a Crown Court Judge is another ball game.

Can anyone recall any " test case " in the past that has resulted in the refund of hundreds of milions of pounds and hundreds of thousands of convictions quashed ?

Whatever the press writes about this, somehow I dont think HMG will care too much!

Just like everything else.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom