Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

N7OGP

Car
Viano 2011
Do there work in the dark?

Hi All
Just seen some new big yellow SPECS average speed cameras on a small new yellow gantry at the side of the road being fitted on the M25 Between the A3 and Dorking turn offs.. they are not currently active.. but appear ready to be switched on at any time.. they work by recording your number plate and measuring your time between the different sets of cameras, the computer then works out the minimum time you could of taken at 70MPH and if you are quicker it calculates your speed then automatically issues you a ticket... WATCH OUT GUY AND GALS!!! these ones dont flash!! and take the picture from the front..

Just wait for the new ASSET cameras... rumour has it that they will be able to fine you for several infractions, including:
- speeding
- tailgating
- not wearing seatbelts
- insurance (not having)
- road tax (not displaying a valid one)

and a few others... I've heard they are also doing research on emissions tests and tread-wear...

Soon they'll wear hard hats and totally replace the police...
M.

EDIT: To answer the OP, yes - speed cameras work at night as well. Some have flashes, some use infra-red light (which you can't see with the naked eye)... but they all work at night.

Last edited:
Not to mention reading your VIN and comparing your wheels' size to the MB Datacard and the insurance database to see if you notified your insurer...

Permanent average speed cams on the M25 have been mentioned for ages, but it was stated on the Radio this week that they were being commissioned now.

I didn't know this,

"Gatso speed cameras can also identify between cars/vans and HGVs separately. For example, if the speed limit was 60mph for cars/vans and 40mph for HGVs the camera will enforce the two separate limits."

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Gatso.htm

I didn't know this,

"Gatso speed cameras can also identify between cars/vans and HGVs separately. For example, if the speed limit was 60mph for cars/vans and 40mph for HGVs the camera will enforce the two separate limits."

Gatso speed cameras explained, UK Gatso traffic cameras

All down to the doppler effect and the amplitude of radar return. The return can be used to differentiate between cars and lorries as the return off a lorry is so much greater and if it is above a pre determined threshold then the lower speed limit is applied

I should imagine road works are on the way.

Is it something to do with a new services that are being built on that stretch of the M25?

EDIT: To answer the OP, yes - speed cameras work at night as well. Some have flashes, some use infra-red light (which you can't see with the naked eye)... but they all work at night.

Not if they're wrapped in clingfilm :)

:ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom