Speed Figures. Surprised if true answer is known

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ringway, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    I know the Omega time was a 3.2 auto, but that produces more power and torque than the 3.0 and we are talking auto for the o/p's car. :)

In addition that model is slightly lighter in the same body so should be slightly quicker.

2. stumpy1

stumpy1 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Mercs and non Mercs
    60 comes up in about 9.5. I just remember that very lethargic reluctance to rev out feeling. The auto box suffocates what is otherwise a good car.

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    The one on the right jump started so will always be in front.

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    He actually only makes 70mph. (just under 120kmh)

Bloody noisy too..

5. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    No jump start just faster reaction time :)

6. flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171

Sorry,totally agree with you on the above if comparing to the Op car. I was still on the clk Vs Omega MV6 comparison for Petrols.

The MV6 I'm familiar with is the one Vauxhall supplied numerous Police forces, there were some subtle tweaks to the engine, ECU and suspension and from Memory I think they used to put out around 250 bhp

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  7. Uberwagon

Uberwagon Active Member

Car:
    1991 500E
    I would be very very impressed if an Omega could see 108mph at the end of the quarter. Having been in one a hell of a lot I don't think it's an achievable time. Unless my friends is kaput.

As for the engine though, I view it the same as the 3.0 Peugeot/ Renault V6, one of the best 6 cylinder engines about, cracking pieces of kit and with the Omega, a hell of a lot of car for the money.

If the cars are geared correctly then Torque has very little affect in a cars acceleration times.

Dave!

8. timskemp

timskemp MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d

T5 has no problems in retail spec, adding a light bar is probably an issue - do they specify shorter gearing?

225bhp is enough to make an S60 cut through the air at 160mph, it's a very efficient shape. V70s need a bit more, 250bhp will see 155mph, later 265bhp ones a bit more.

9. flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Was an 02 plate the one we had, standard motor, standard box, beefed up suspension and more protection under the car very impressive also had a standard one as my own car on an 03 plate not a lot of difference really cop spec one just a bit tighter and slightly more stable.

So Impressed I have just ordered another one to replace the Subaru as my work wagon but this time I have gone for the V50 T5 230 bhp 0-60 = 6.9 secs, will get it remapped so it approaches the 300 bhp mark same as the Subaru delivery Jan 23rd :bannana:

10. flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Just times straight of the York raceway database but plenty of examples on the net of sub 15 secs and TS of over 100 mph think most of the fastest times are the 3.0 or 3.2 MV6 manual cars

11. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    I'd like to have a go at a 1/4 mile time as this just seems far too slow ..

The W208 CLK 430 has a time of 15.4 at a terminal speed of 89 mph

I'll have a look in the CLK handbook and see what the gearing etc figures are when i get in ...

So you're saying that a car with 85 less horses will run quicker over a quarter mile with the same gearing ( which i think they are ) ?

Would really like to have a drag with a 230 to be honest , as the 430 is just so much quicker , i've been in Wills old c230k and it was fast , but no where near as fast as the 430 ....

Not doubting you really , it's just so so hard to beleive ....

EDIT :- Just been looking online , general concensus of opinion is that the 430 is doing the 1/4 mile in 14.4 ish ....

12. OP
    OP
    ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.
  13. flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    As I was saying to DM times vary, mine came straight from York Raceway but 14.4 ish is good and probably more of what I would expect. I have run my CLK 230k Manual with Brabus K1 tuning kit against my brother in laws CLK 320 auto at York both 1998 models and my 230k beats his by a clear second every time so I can vouch for the CLK 230K and CLK 320 times as most of them are ours. Never been in a CLK 430 so difficult to comment took the 1/4 times straight off York Raceway but from my limited knowledge think they are 279 bhp? My C230k is putting out about 220 bhp but think stock they are 192 bhp. TBH I would expect to struggle against a CLK 430 on a 1/4 mile run but have no doubt I can beat 320's but to be fair I am comparing manual against auto. The reason I never bought a 320 or above was that you could not get them with a manual box.

14. popuptoaster

popuptoaster Active Member

Car:
    2000 E55 AMG Estate
    Gearing plays a massive part in 0-60 times, i been mucking about with sierras for years and the mk2 shape 4x4 v6 versions with the standard MT75 gearbox cant hit 60mph in second gear because of the limiter, raising the diff ratio (hard work cos higher ratio front diffs cost a bazillion pounds if you can find one) or fitting taller profile tyres raises the gearing which should in theory slow them down, but the 0-60 time comes down almost a second due to one less gearchange, you lose out further up the range and in normal driving though, traction isnt a problem with them though unless your running stupid power, but that will also effect things, my 24v Cortina was really fast through the gears but had naff all grip off the line so its 0-60 was rubbish, even my mates fwd 220bhp rover coupe was quicker away from the lights but i used to catch him up once i was moving.

15. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Omegas rock. :rock:

Sorry, that's all I have to say.

That and the fact I miss Mrs D's. I felt like I was the star of Police, Camera, Action every time it kicked down.

1 person likes this.
  16. maddog

maddog Active Member

I dont believe that not for a stock car

Firstly 108mph on a 14.2 pass is a real top end charge which shows a lot of horsepower ie 400hp+ or is typical of a nitrous assisted car

400hp Nissan Skylines run 108 terminal speeds on low 13 second passes and that is with loads of wheel spin thats similar to a E55 AMG

A 14.2 second pass should be in the mid 90's mph and thats what a 1400kg car should run with about 300hp and a decent driver

I reckon my E320 CDi would run in the mid 15's at around 85-90 mph not that i have ever run it at the strip

E55 amg vs Lotus Omega

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VHb8gRncStQ

Note the terminal speed of 110mph (176kmh)

17. flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Wouldn't disagree with you it's a massive top end charge and unfortunately I have no data about the car other than the raceway website quotes it as an Omega 3.0 24v MV6 Manual could be nitro'd could have a massively reworked engine but impressive times. If the engine was reworked and NOS fitted could easily be running 400 bhp but an Omega is a 1700 Kg car !

What I will do is put our 3.2 manual Vectra over the 1/4 mile and see what that does as it will easily outrun a 3.0 Omega I know it will then be FWD Vs RWD but should give us some idea of what ball park we are in.

Still the best I have seen was Andy Forests Subaru Impreza 850 bhp, standing 1/4 9.3 secs at a TS of 146 mph and that is some going:bannana:

18. maddog

maddog Active Member

19. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    I remember they went for a drive in it (round the local streets) on Fifth Gear.

20. flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Awesome would love to see that in the flesh, makes Andy Forest look as though he is running in slo-mo :)