Speed Figures. Surprised if true answer is known

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yours is manual right? Doesn't your 2nd gear take you to about 58mph?

I'm thinking if i got mine remapped and extended the redline to about 6k, i can hang in 2nd gear til 62mph and get a much better 0-60 time!

Yours is manual right? Doesn't your 2nd gear take you to about 58mph?

I'm thinking if i got mine remapped and extended the redline to about 6k, i can hang in 2nd gear til 62mph and get a much better 0-60 time!

My 2nd gear takes me just over 62 mph as I have the Brabus K1 tuning kit fitted which runs a smaller supercharger pulley giving more low end grunt and rev limiter is set at 6k. I think these are the main reasons the car is well over a second quicker than book, If you are getting in the 6's with yours already thats pretty impressive as your car is about 65Kg heavier than mine, as mentioned before sure it's not got some mods on it already? As I'm told with the H&S pulley upgrade you can get a CLK 230K running 0 - 60 mph in a fraction over 6 secs.

Last edited:
I dont think 210hp is going to produce a 0-60 in that range in a big heavy car

It can.... my Volvo V70 2.5T with exactly 210 bhp did it (with auto) in 7.3s and a top speed of 143 mph. Heavy and big, but fitted with a turbo. Quicker of line than a T5 but slower at higher speed.

It can.... my Volvo V70 2.5T with exactly 210 bhp did it (with auto) in 7.3s and a top speed of 143 mph. Heavy and big, but fitted with a turbo. Quicker of line than a T5 but slower at higher speed.

T5 has a turbo too doesn't it ? thats what the 'T' stands for ?

T5 has a turbo too doesn't it ? thats what the 'T' stands for ?

It does indeed Turbo 5 cylinder, I have just ordered another one to replace my Subaru Legacy Estate work wagon, Legacy good and 300 bhp awesome but not quite in T5 territory, A remapped T5 is a beast, I guess the Police don't use them for nothing.

Had a little ride in one when i worked for Volvo Twickenham ... ;)

Very quick indeed.

Remember when Volvo were racing the estate T5's in the BTCC ? at one race they had a large alsation cuddly toy ( lifesize ) and cable tied it in the boot while they were raced ... Hilarious...

The MD of Tamplins Twickenham had an all black T5R chipped to just shy of 400 bhp , with black windows , black leather and black Antera 18 inch alloys ( the ones with the valve in the centre of the hub ) ... that was a monster indeed !

Looking forward to taking delivery of mine should be here 23rd of this month, must admit though I thought I was getting near the limit at 300 bhp but to go just short of 400 that must be a right animal, thing that suprised me with the volvo was how agile it was through the bends on b roads for a big estate it is quite a nimble car.

I do remeber when volvo raced them in BTCC although I'm not sure what they were thinking!! I remember the Alsation was cable tied to the rear roll cage cross bars when I saw them at Donnington, racing with an Estate and Cuddly toy !! only in the UK !

Last edited:
Remember when Volvo were racing the estate T5's in the BTCC ? at one race they had a large alsation cuddly toy ( lifesize ) and cable tied it in the boot while they were raced ... Hilarious...

I remember that!

There's a 2.8 Turbo volvo as well... i had a ride in that... cant remember the name of the model but DAMN that thing really had a torquey kick.

Anyway although I was not present the 4 cars were subjected to a limited performance test given the time and the results certainly were a shocker and not what I expected at all. I won't spoil the suprise but will post the data printer printouts this weekend when I get them off my nephew.

I hope your Nephew drove faster on the day than he is driving those timings round to you....

I've gone blue holding my breath...

cant remember the name of the model but DAMN that thing really had a torquey kick.

That just shows it has a poor steering setup. If the steering angle disects the tyre centrally, difficult to achieve with macphereson struts, then there is no torque or brake steer.

I hope your Nephew drove faster on the day than he is driving those timings round to you....

I've gone blue holding my breath...

My fault not his, I'm burried with work at the moment (not complaining) so have not been home, since he dropped the printouts off, should be back Friday evening before going away again Sunday so will scan them and post as soon as I can

cheers

P.S You were sort of correct with your predictions :D

That just shows it has a poor steering setup. If the steering angle disects the tyre centrally, difficult to achieve with macphereson struts, then there is no torque or brake steer.

I think this is the case with most front wheel drives, right?

Finally and the results are ....................

Apologies for the delay in posting these but what with being ill over Christmas and then the work piling up on me I only got home at lunchtime today, so below are the short performance test results carried out on 4 cars on what I'm told was a vey cold Sunday 4th January.

SAVE0004.jpg

Forgot to mention these are the best runs and not the average, but if you average all the runs the cars stay in the same order.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay in posting these but what with being ill over Christmas and then the work piling up on me I only got home at lunchtime today, so below are the short performance test results carried out on 4 cars on what I'm told was a vey cold Sunday 4th January.

SAVE0004.jpg

Forgot to mention these are the best runs and not the average, but if you average all the runs the cars stay in the same order.

Not meaning to be funny here, but how can the BMW 530i have about 33bhp more than the CLK and a 1.2 secs faster to 60, but then be 0.2 secs slower in the 1/4 mile? i know its an ET but how can the bmw have a higher trap speed too?

bit strange!

Last edited:
Not meaning to be funny here, but how can the BMW 530i have about 33bhp more than the CLK and a 1.2 secs faster to 60, but then only be 0.2 secs faster in the 1/4 mile i know its an ET but still!? Also how can the bmw have a higher trap speed but takes it longer to do the 1/4 mile than the clk? weight?

bit strange!

More likely gear ratios.

Russ

I'm quite surprised by these, does the CLK need 3rd gear for 60?

Interesting as well that a 10 year old CLK is putting out more BHP than it was ever meant to have in the first place ( 218 ) ...

You would have thought as the years went by , it would have lost some .

Thanks for putting these up , very interesting. :)

SAVE0004.jpg

Really interesting. Thanks for assembling the 4 cars on the day and for carrying out the tests. Raised eyebrows here and there I suspect.;)

Next GTG at your place I reckon. Would be great fun to do timed runs like that in our own cars!! ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom