Speed Figures. Surprised if true answer is known

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
When the 0-60mph figures are compiled how do they do it?

The thing that puzzles me is:
If an auto car has sport mode, do they use the sport mode when testing the 0-60 or not.

My other car is a Vauxhall Omega 3.0V6 with sport mode box.

I think the car reaches 0-60 quicker than the figures quotated in the likes of What Car? magazine, so therefor I think the sport button is not used when testing the 0-60mph.

If the sport button is not used on the test, you will look at the figures and think the car is not as quick as it actually is.

Speed is one of the considerations of those buying 3, litre motors!

I don't know how anyone (except a tester) can solve this one:cool:

There are two types of figures: those published by the manufacturer and those published as a result of an objective test.

Most magazines use manufacturer figures. The Autocar Road Test is the best source of objective test data IMHO, but even they publish manufacturer figures on cars they've not road tested.

Tests will almost certainly use any aids to maximise acceleration when testing, afterall the purpose of the test is to measure the cars acceleration!!

Manufacturers will publish what best suits them. For example, some believe that the manufacturer figures for the C32 AMG were significantly slower than reality, in order that it didn't tread on the toes of more expensive models.

There are two types of figures: those published by the manufacturer and those published as a result of an objective test.

Most magazines use manufacturer figures. The Autocar Road Test is the best source of objective test data IMHO, but even they publish manufacturer figures on cars they've not road tested.

Tests will almost certainly use any aids to maximise acceleration when testing, afterall the purpose of the test is to measure the cars acceleration!!

Manufacturers will publish what best suits them. For example, some believe that the manufacturer figures for the C32 AMG were significantly slower than reality, in order that it didn't tread on the toes of more expensive models.

I remember What Car? magazine used to display the 0-60 figures in normal text, but when they had tested the car themselves the figures were shown in bold print.

Interesting point about the "slower figures" for the C32 AMG and true too I should think.
You never really now the whole story with anything these days...;)

My S60 didn't quite do 60 in second gear, but it would if you ran it to the limiter ignoring the redline. Most magazine times have two persons in , one driving one operating the timing gear, manufacturers may have one. Magazines may go all out to get the best time, manufacturers may show some mechanical sympathy.

Speed is one of the considerations of those buying 3, litre motors!

It is? A 3L diesel is all about torque not speed surely? I would buy a 3L engine on the premise of comfort, torque and cruising ability not speed!

Most magazine times have two persons in , one driving one operating the timing gear, manufacturers may have one. Magazines may go all out to get the best time, manufacturers may show some mechanical sympathy.

I don't think any magazine tests with 2 on board, they use automatic timing gear. In addition two people cost more than one.

You are correct about the lack of sympathy when testing, they just push the car as hard as possible to get the best run.
This includes holding autos on the brakes with traction off, manual changes with no clutch and full throttle.
You aren't going to beat a magazine 0-62 run.

Of course 0-62 is a completely worthless figure anyway as the intial traction provides the greatest influence and that is very variable depending on surface, tyres, driver.

In gear times are much more relevant and consistant.

When the 0-60mph figures are compiled how do they do it?

The thing that puzzles me is:
If an auto car has sport mode, do they use the sport mode when testing the 0-60 or not.

My other car is a Vauxhall Omega 3.0V6 with sport mode box.

I think the car reaches 0-60 quicker than the figures quotated in the likes of What Car? magazine, so therefor I think the sport button is not used when testing the 0-60mph.

Have you actually tried it.? Do five runs using both directions and take the average.
Make sure your speedo is calibrated first though as it will over-read reducing the apparent time.

Just checking figures for the Omega says that the Omega A (otherwise known as hte Carlton) had a 177 BHp 3.0 engine and dragged 0-60 in 8.8 secs.
This was then upgraded to the 24v with 204bhp and 0-60 in 7.6sec.

The omega B had a 212 Bhp engine so should give similar 0-60 times.

I siuspect the figures in the mag you are reading are misprints.

Looking at Parkers shows the older, less powerful engines were quicker. that's possible if they had a greater spread of torque. Also the Elite is noticably slower, and auto loses 1 second.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=985

Last edited:
5th gear did some tests on various cars trying to achieve manufacturers figures, i seem to remember the expert they talked to said they hooked the cars up hub mounted rollers on a dyno and did 0-60 testing in a lab against fake loads so you have no grip or environmental issues.

Just checking figures for the Omega says that the Omega A (otherwise known as hte Carlton) had a 177 BHp 3.0 engine and dragged 0-60 in 8.8 secs.
This was then upgraded to the 24v with 204bhp and 0-60 in 7.6sec.

The omega B had a 212 Bhp engine so should give similar 0-60 times.

I siuspect the figures in the mag you are reading are misprints.

Mine is 3.0V6 24V Auto 99 T reg.
Do you think my 320cdi should have the legs of the Omega?

I'm still finding my way around the site.
I think this should be in ENGINE or GENERAL DISCUSSION.
Does anyone know how to move this into another category, or should I leave it here? :D

5th gear did some tests on various cars trying to achieve manufacturers figures, i seem to remember the expert they talked to said they hooked the cars up hub mounted rollers on a dyno and did 0-60 testing in a lab against fake loads so you have no grip or environmental issues.

I can believe it, like manufacturer's fuel consumption figures which are always a load of ********.

It is? A 3L diesel is all about torque not speed surely? I would buy a 3L engine on the premise of comfort, torque and cruising ability not speed!

Yep, those are other considerations of course, not just the speed. That's why I don't have any small motors, I like the whole package. :)

Mags and manufacturers do test on the track/roads for 0-62 times.

I reckon they should be pretty even, but that the E class is probably better in terms of CDA and mechanical drag (just a guess) so will go to a higher VMax. Omega probably quicker to 100 though.

I reckon they should be pretty even, but that the E class is probably better in terms of CDA and mechanical drag (just a guess) so will go to a higher VMax. Omega probably quicker to 100 though.

Cheers.
What is CDA & VMax?:eek:

Vmax - max speed, CdA - Coeffecient of Drag x Frontal Area - it's known that the E class was has always been class leading in terms of drag hence the high top speeds from the smaller engines - they don't need as much power to go as fast, also that saves a lot of motorway fuel.

Vmax - max speed, CdA - Coeffecient of Drag x Frontal Area - it's known that the E class was has always been class leading in terms of drag hence the high top speeds from the smaller engines - they don't need as much power to go as fast, also that saves a lot of motorway fuel.

Many Thanks;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom