Speed limit and tail-gating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The A47 hopefully,
I don't use that one. :smiley face: cool face with Ray Banns on: thumbs up.
To be fair, I mainly use the A447 at the moment. Good guess though......

Reactions: m80
I think that I stated that I was an HGV class ONE that is I was Licenced to drive a 40-ton artic, and yes I have done it all in the past so please feel free to comment if you have been there when hours of driving were 12 hours stretch NO TACO just a logbook, and yes I pity HGV drivers with what they have to contend with The Ministry. Police. Haulage Companys wanting you to drive all the hours to pay for a vehicle that cost a fortune, so please don't tell me how or what speed I have to drive at I've have seen more death on the road than most will see in a lifetime and the reason SPEED
I’ve just returned from Coventry to Leicester on the M69. I purposely traveled at 50 mph for a few miles, I found it fairly difficult to maintain such a low speed as RPM was just above 1200 revs. I soon noticed a group of cars vans and a HGV forming behind my dreary pace, most vehicles then decided to move out to the middle lane, causing other overtaking cars into the 3rd lane, This may have repeated itself for the entire journey until I accelerated to 60 mph, a much better pace without causing any annoyance to anyone or making other drivers move into faster lanes.
I continued the rest of the journey at 65mph keeping rough pace with the traffic.
Then everyone was happy again.

I’ve just returned from Coventry to Leicester on the M69. I purposely traveled at 50 mph for a few miles, I found it fairly difficult to maintain such a low speed as RPM was just above 1200 revs. I soon noticed a group of cars vans and a HGV forming behind my dreary pace, most vehicles then decided to move out to the middle lane, causing other overtaking cars into the 3rd lane, This may have repeated itself for the entire journey until I accelerated to 60 mph, a much better pace without causing any annoyance to anyone or making other drivers move into faster lanes.
I continued the rest of the journey at 65mph keeping rough pace with the traffic.
Then everyone was happy again.
One reason I've opted for 58 as my favoured cruising speed, but not the only reason.
Now and again I've to over take a wagon, and will push a bit faster for that.

Any faster and I've to use the outer lanes more, and that then requires me to accelerate to hold less folk up, brake for the occasional slower motor in the middle lane, and generally become a bit more frustrated by the less relaxed style.

I admit it might take me another 1/2 hour to return from London, but I'm less stressed and tired because.

I'm happy for others to do it their way, but if they're going to get in my way they must've done summat dumb or be Miss Marple.

I don't use motorways so much now but if on a long journey I drive as fast as possible, it might mean being home or at my destination an hour earlier.

Who wouldn't want that?

Anything less than 80 on a motorway is ridiculous.

Not sure I see the relevance.
While I've taught it's nearly as important to understand what's behind as in front, if those behind drive well the need is near irrelevant.
It's the one's that can't / don't drive sensibly that need to be watched in the rear view.
What don’t you understand?

What is the relevance of your statement?

The conversation was about safe distances from vehicles ahead. People generally do not drive well and tend to be too close to the vehicle ahead.

Any defensive driving course teaches one to constantly monitor mirrors and to have a safe box (space) around the car to give yourself space to manoeuvre / take evasive action if needed - if you are driving up the @r$e of the vehicle ahead you have eliminated one option.

An idiot tail-gated me while I was trying to overtake a few cars. I had to get out of the way just so he wouldn't bump me in case of slowing down.
Funny thing was, as soon as I got out of the way, he didn't overtake me as he was trying to stay within the speed limit.

Why tail-gate when you can't go any faster?? So annoying!

I don't understand why some drivers just have no common sense of driving intelligence. Why couldn't he just leave a safe gap while I overtook the cars in the middle lane?
Future suggestion,
1. slow down calmly, pull over, get out of the vehicle and ask that lunatic this very question. You'll have our answer.
2. capture the license plate, record the incident on a rear traffic cam (buy one), go to the nearest Police Station and file a reckless driving, endangerment to others lives, halting public way, disturbing the peace in general (you're afraid he may ram his vehicle into the rear bumper of your car), and under torts file for Intentional misconduct in relation to/but not limited by distracted driving (if you spot them looking away from the road or using a gadget).

My humble advise don't let them get away. Get them fined and charged, let the magistrate decide the rest, you just frame and case and enjoy the movie of his/her law breaking action's consequences.

Future suggestion,
1. slow down calmly, pull over, get out of the vehicle and ask that lunatic this very question. You'll have our answer.
2. capture the license plate, record the incident on a rear traffic cam (buy one), go to the nearest Police Station and file a reckless driving, endangerment to others lives, halting public way, disturbing the peace in general (you're afraid he may ram his vehicle into the rear bumper of your car), and under torts file for Intentional misconduct in relation to/but not limited by distracted driving (if you spot them looking away from the road or using a gadget).

My humble advise don't let them get away. Get them fined and charged, let the magistrate decide the rest, you just frame and case and enjoy the movie of his/her law breaking action's consequences.
Very good advice, helpful suggestions.

Future suggestion,

You're doing it again....:wallbash:

If you knew anything at all about the UK legal system, or driving on UK motorways, or how the police actually do their job here, you would know how ludicrous your post is.

Last edited:
Future suggestion,

Meh.

Screech to half, drag him out and fill him in.

Job done.

Good idea- my rule of thumb is that if you cannot see both their side mirrors you are too close (and they do not know that you are there).
Spot on. It never ceases to amaze me when I see vehicles (cars, lorries or motorbikes) closely following something they can't see through. It must make driving so much harder because it's impossible to do any forward planning so they're relying entirely on the movements of the vehicle in front. But then perhaps these idiots don't bother with thinking ahead, so it's perfectly normal for them.

I don't use motorways so much now but if on a long journey I drive as fast as possible, it might mean being home or at my destination an hour earlier.

Who wouldn't want that?

Anything less than 80 on a motorway is ridiculous.
Junk theory by limited minded. There is no legislation for minimum speed.
I don't comprehend whom you are trying to impress with these ideas. Anyway, they'll like your comments and collect tickets with their reckless driving. You don't use the law to your benefit when it exists and rather resort to barbaric methods and tag posts and replies between 2 separate entities where it has nothing to do with you.

Junk theory by limited minded. There is no legislation for minimum speed.
I don't comprehend whom you are trying to impress with these ideas. Anyway, they'll like your comments and collect tickets with their reckless driving. You don't use the law to your benefit when it exists and rather resort to barbaric methods and tag posts and replies between 2 separate entities where it has nothing to do with you.
What are you on about?

Sorry, I'm a bit late into the discussion about choosing to drive at a lower speed on motorways - I've been unwillingly absent. If someone wants to drive slowly on a quiet motorway then that's entirely up to them. But when the motorway is busy and the rest of the traffic is wanting to travel at >60mph, the 50mph driver is a mobile hazard. Interestingly, the member who earlier declared that he drove at 50 because it was his choice, didn't explain WHY he drove at 50. I got the impression that he regarded it as his duty to control the speed of the rest of the motorway traffic, but I could be totally wrong. :dk:

Anyway, very many years ago when life was so much better @Happytalk73 ;) I had to regularly drive home on the M3 from Southampton where I was working to West London where I lived. It was always early in the morning, around sunrise, and the motorway was relatively quiet. To break the boredom of this daily commute I set myself a challenge of not driving above 50 for the whole journey, and doing so without the luxury of cruise control. I couldn't do it for a whole week - it was far too difficult with everyone else travelling so much faster. Lorry radiators filling my mirrors was the worst. Never again, it's far too stressful.

Last edited:
A matter of time it seems.
And cronos is infinite. Not a valid point of measurement. The fact multiple members have enough time on their hands to spend after a single user deems you useless, not the person of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom