Speed limit and tail-gating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

My humble advise don't let them get away. Get them fined and charged, let the magistrate decide the rest, you just frame and case and enjoy the movie of his/her law breaking action's consequences.
......and waste hours of your time going to and from court because you have to be a witness.:confused:

Then be a victim as you described. As are all unsuccessful beings.
On this forum, we do not miss quote people or add words to what they have said. Have some respect.

I didn’t say I am a victim, nor am I unsuccessful (and don’t need a whole list of cars in my profile to prove it).. You added “I am a victim" to my quote. Do you think you are being clever?

Last edited by a moderator:
On this forum, we do not miss quote people or add words to what they have said. Have some respect.

I didn’t say I am a victim, nor am I unsuccessful (and don’t need a whole list of cars in my profile to prove it).. You added “I am a victim" to my quote. Do you think you are being clever?
I Don't have time to engage in fruitless debates about for weeks. A few days was engaging, now it's become evident these are secondary issues you are using the forum as a medium to vent out. Leave me out of your issues. You tag my post, which by the way I never included you in, and don't expect me to respond back? When I do, you get offended, when you are putting another person's ideas down its alright, but when the other person defends his ideas you get on the offensive and start calling others to your rescue. It's a vicious cycle and I'm not a part of an unsuccessful venture. So please walk this off.

I Don't have time to engage in fruitless debates about for weeks. A few days was engaging, now it's become evident these are secondary issues you are using the forum as a medium to vent out. Leave me out of your issues. You tag my post, which by the way I never included you in, and don't expect me to respond back? When I do, you get offended, when you are putting another person's ideas down its alright, but when the other person defends his ideas you get on the offensive and start calling others to your rescue. It's a vicious cycle and I'm not a part of an unsuccessful venture. So please walk this off.
Genuine question.

Why do you keep coming back to the forum, you clearly despise us, it's a UK forum and you are overseas and you are unnecessarily insulting to anyone who engages with you?

We enjoy a troll but, if that's your MO, just be honest about it.

I've been on this forum for eight years, and as far as I can recall we've never had a resident clown before. I'm not sure we need one now, but I'm not blocking him; I'm interested to see what he'll do next...

but I'm not blocking him; I'm interested to see what he'll do next...
Definitely. I hope he stays. He’s fairly entertaining.

Hi , keep up the good work

Tailgating is difficult to enforce. It's one of those offences where you're only likely to get convicted (or fined) if you end-up involved in a crash.

In the nineties I was working with a company that developed a roadside tailgating safety camera system, but in spite of successful trials they failed to sell it to police forces due to lack of interest.

You can still be caught and fined, but it isn't common, especially when there's a difficulty in establishing impartial metrics without a system that can measure and record them.

Rear facing dash camera, like the one I put in the back window of the Kuga driven by SWMBO would certainly help.

Don’t know what’s happening where I live but surrounded by police with speed guns and vans parked in bush’s , 30 mph signs moved up the road 1/2 ml at least onto the country side no houses near , now I have to go over top of hill and start braking down from 40 straight away to 30 after spending yrs and yrs of knowing where the 30 sign was , it’s mental bookings by the dozen , fair enough should not speed / :oops::wallbash::wallbash:but they are mostly in the mid to high 30s.
Give us a break.

Rear facing dash camera, like the one I put in the back window of the Kuga driven by SWMBO would certainly help.

True, though what I meant to say is that it is difficult for the authorities to enforce safe distance via some sort of automated system such as average speed cameras etc.

The reality is that the vast majority of prosecutions occur after someone is being rear-ended, with the crash itself serving as (almost) indisputable proof that the vehicle behind was at fault, but it is not very common for a driver to be prosecuted for not maintaining safe distance when no crash occurred (it does happen, but very rarely compared to the number of tailgating we see on the roads every day).

True, though what I meant to say is that it is difficult for the authorities to enforce safe distance via some sort of automated system such as average speed cameras etc.
Pretty sure imaging technology nowadays could easily determine the distance between cars, along with speed and anpr.

Pretty sure imaging technology nowadays could easily determine the distance between cars, along with speed and anpr.

Yes, the tech exists, but I am not aware of any such system in operating in the UK.

I remember the "Keep 2 chevrons apart" signs and markings on the motorways.
Pointless though don't ya think? As far as I see distances on all 3 lanes are the same.
They can't take into account the differing speed, ie faster and the distance should be greater.

Maybe the authorities don't put effort into us all keeping a safe distance is because revenue from speeding fines is more fruitful.

An overhead sign saying 'keep a safe distance' is too easy for the over confident to believe that they already are.

2 cheverons apart was ok in the 60's the stopping distance with today's cars is alot less, you could leave 10ft gap and there will always be a pilock that will squeeze in between I was on the A1 yesterday in a 50mph stretch and was stood over an hour because 5 cars had shunted each other it's an all to common sight these days the driving standards have gone way down imo to many distractions

Maybe the authorities don't put effort into us all keeping a safe distance is because revenue from speeding fines is more fruitful.
You could always put in the effort yourself to keep a safe distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom