Speed limit and tail-gating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
............... but feel comfortable at around 60 on motorways, less stressed. I am not averse to speeding to overtake, but always slow afterwards and keep as far left as possible with regard to traffic in lanes 2 and 1.
Many drivers that do that, drift off into 'zombie land’ because they are “comfortable and less stressed”.

Many drivers that do that, drift off into 'zombie land’ because they are “comfortable and less stressed”.
Define "many". Sounds anecdotal to me. Never seen "many" less stressed drivers piling into each other.
On the other hand, I have seen a number of high speed stressed drivers do just that.
If I did not want to be comfortable and unstressed when travelling, I would buy a bicycle.

Define "many". Sounds anecdotal to me. Never seen "many" less stressed drivers piling into each other.
On the other hand, I have seen a number of high speed stressed drivers do just that.
Semantics. This is a discussion not a debate.

It is those fools cruising down the outer lanes, at well below the speed limit holding up traffic, that cause the accidents. They are in ‘zombie mode’ and are completely unaware of their surroundings.

If you ever go fast enough (62 mph?) to have to pass another driver - take a quick glance at the person your are passing. You will be surprised at how many are either simply staring at the road ahead in a trance or so engrossed in a conversation or their phone that they have no idea of what is going on around them.

I list those purely out of interest and relevance to others.
I guess that is what the guy that listed all the details of his current car was doing. ;)

Semantics. This is a discussion not a debate.

It is those fools cruising down the outer lanes, at well below the speed limit
holding up traffic, that cause the accidents. They are in ‘zombie mode’ and are completely unaware of their surroundings.

If you ever go fast enough (62 mph?) to have to pass another driver - take a quick glance at the person your are passing. You will be surprised at how many are either simply staring at the road ahead in a trance or so engrossed in a conversation or their phone that they have no idea of what is going on around them.
Semantics? I see a cop out.

I refer you to post #142 and urge you to read the complete post.

I guess that is what the guy that listed all the details of his current car was doing. ;)
True but, its like the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Call out anyone with a remotely nice/fast/out of the ordinary car, as having a massive ego and being some kind of sub-human to him, then go right ahead and highlight the car he drives as being in the same category. Hypocrisy at best.

True but, its like the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Call out anyone with a remotely nice/fast/out of the ordinary car, as having a massive ego and being some kind of sub-human to him, then go right ahead and highlight the car he drives as being in the same category. Hypocrisy at best.
Yep - I was taking your comments out of context and mine were meant to be tongue in cheek. Unfortunately no emoji for tongue in cheek.:)

Semantics? I see a cop out.

I refer you to post #142 and urge you to read the complete post.

Yes you stated you move over - I didn’t say you don’t and my reference to you passing other cars (a stressful and uncomfortable period for you?) was to recommend that you take a look at what other drivers are doing as you seem to be unaware as to how zoned out other (unstressed and comfortable) road users are.

I prefer to be fully alert and focussed on the task at hand - driving a car (again...I’m not saying that you are not....).

Yep - I was taking your comments out of context and mine were meant to be tongue in cheek. Unfortunately no emoji for tongue in cheek.:)
Understood and I thought so but, as always its impossible to gauge what anyone is actually thinking on a forum post :)

It's the village bit that does me. Coming into my village is NSL down to 40,then 30 and eventually 20 when you get to the high street. Always people who will just do 40 in all sections. They see no wrong with doing 40 on the NSL (yes I know that NSL is a guide not a target) but are always the first to get the hump when they are sat 20mm from your chuff because you are only doing 20mph when they still want to be doing 40!

Agree with your sentiment but I thought the HGV speed limit is now 60mph along with several other classes of vehicles so you would have a fair amount of company cruising at 60 mph in lane 1 which makes it not ridiculous at all.
Technically the speed limit on a motorway for an LGV is 60 but limiters have to be set to no more than 56 mph/90 kph but some companies do set them lower to aid fuel consumption (and to p off drivers!!damhikt!). Strange how many Irish registered and foreign registered trucks don't seem to have working limiters....

I was doing about 85 in the middle lane passing slower traffic a little while back (on a private road of course)...when a German registered coach came past in the right lane like I was standing still.....lol!

Last edited:
I was doing about 85 in the middle lane passing slower traffic a little while back (on a private road of course)...when a German registered coach came past in the right lane like I was standing still.....lol!
I’ve only ever done 1 coach trip (against my better judgement) Rome to Naples. Cured me for life.

Not keen on being driven at high speeds in something like a big coach without having confidence in the skills of the driver.

It's the village bit that does me. Coming into my village is NSL down to 40,then 30 and eventually 20 when you get to the high street. Always people who will just do 40 in all sections. They see no wrong with doing 40 on the NSL (yes I know that NSL is a guide not a target) but are always the first to get the hump when they are sat 20mm from your chuff because you are only doing 20mph when they still want to be doing 40!
My Papa was like that

40 mph in a 20
40 mph in a 30
40 mph in a 40
40 mph in a 60

He was good in 40 mph zones 🤣🤣

I’ve only ever done 1 coach trip (against my better judgement) Rome to Naples. Cured me for life.

Not keen on being driven at high speeds in something like a big coach without having confidence in the skills of the driver.
My mum went from Portsmouth to Rome in one....rather her than me!

Yes you stated you move over - I didn’t say you don’t and my reference to you passing other cars (a stressful and uncomfortable period for you?) was to recommend that you take a look at what other drivers are doing as you seem to be unaware as to how zoned out other (unstressed and comfortable) road users are.

I prefer to be fully alert and focussed on the task at hand - driving a car (again...I’m not saying that you are not....).
Not at all. As I am unstressed (and comfortable) I have time and patience to plan and execute the overtake, possibly even accelerating to a suitable speed, without impeding anyone. This could involve moving from lane 1 to lane 2 in order to pass a truck or even from lane 2 to lane 3 to pass a lane 2 moving chicane.
I take very good care that my driving style causes no problem to other road users and I make good progress without charging along in lane 3 in the high 80s from one road block to the next.
Before retiring I travelled around Europe for many years, with on average 50k miles/year in a variety of German cars, as a sales manager. I would suggest that I have seen more examples of good and bad driving than many others.

I'm afraid I'm one of those 'charging from one road block to the next', except that I probably make better progress than you do, and I mostly manage neither to be impeded by, nor to impede, other drivers while doing it. Each to their own, eh?

Reactions: JHS
Not at all. As I am unstressed (and comfortable) I have time and patience to plan and execute the overtake, possibly even accelerating to a suitable speed, without impeding anyone. This could involve moving from lane 1 to lane 2 in order to pass a truck or even from lane 2 to lane 3 to pass a lane 2 moving chicane.
I take very good care that my driving style causes no problem to other road users and I make good progress without charging along in lane 3 in the high 80s from one road block to the next.
Before retiring I travelled around Europe for many years, with on average 50k miles/year in a variety of German cars, as a sales manager. I would suggest that I have seen more examples of good and bad driving than many others.

But you are obviously a driving God, which I do not claim to be.:rolleyes:

I refer you to your remark in post #153 (quoted above for your convenience).

“People who live in glass houses” and all that! :) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom