Speed Limit assist retrofit help please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smatt

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
Hi All, Just wondering what is involved for this mod, please & part numbers if possible?
-I presume: windscreen camera, possible new loom, ?coding, anything else?
Many thanks in advance
Matt

Assuming you already have a camera there, then its the new camera, data card updates, coding, and then setting the camera up using (which is done with Star and those headlamp alignment tool you see at MOT stations)

R

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply.
So is the camera the only part needed??
Many thanks, Matt

If you already have the headlamp assist camera - then yes.
Hi Richad

Do you know how much would that cost? I have E class with adaptive high beam. Do I need to go to my mercedes dealer for that?

Regards

I havent checked for a while, but I think the camera was about £600. Your mercedes dealer will probably tell you it is not possible !

We can fit it and code the car, and then you go see your Mercedes dealer to re-align it (which they can do easily, as it needs doing after a new windscreen)

R

Hi Richard, sorry to jump in on someone else's thread but do you know the part number for the camera on a 2013 W212 for speed limit assist?

I have it and initially found it a nice feature, now I find it rather annoying as it keeps blanking out the other display messages whenever there is either a speed limit or repeater sign...or a HGV, or a van with angled reflective stripes...etc...

I have it and initially found it a nice feature, now I find it rather annoying as it keeps blanking out the other display messages whenever there is either a speed limit or repeater sign...or a HGV, or a van with angled reflective stripes...etc...

You could just turn it off you know :D

So , does anyone have the part number for the camera?

I have it and initially found it a nice feature, now I find it rather annoying as it keeps blanking out the other display messages whenever there is either a speed limit or repeater sign
My experience exactly. However, I do find it useful when driving to, or in, locations I'm not familiar with. It used to be that you could gauge the speed limit for any given road by looking at the surroundings, but that doesn't seem to apply anymore :(

Although I'd class my observation skills when driving as pretty good, it's useful to have the confirmation on the instrument display just in case I do miss a speed limit sign amongst the plethora of direction and prohibition signs that seem to infest most junctions in semi-urban areas where the limit often changes from 40 to 30 and back again with little obvious reason. I also found it useful when travelling in Germany where it's even smart enough to identify and properly interpret limits that are only applicable in certain conditions or at certain times.

Finally, there's also the option of only displaying it on the COMAND map, and not to have it display on the speedo, which is how I now leave mine set for regular journeys.

My experience exactly. However, I do find it useful when driving to, or in, locations I'm not familiar with. It used to be that you could gauge the speed limit for any given road by looking at the surroundings, but that doesn't seem to apply anymore :(

Although I'd class my observation skills when driving as pretty good, it's useful to have the confirmation on the instrument display just in case I do miss a speed limit sign amongst the plethora of direction and prohibition signs that seem to infest most junctions in semi-urban areas where the limit often changes from 40 to 30 and back again with little obvious reason. I also found it useful when travelling in Germany where it's even smart enough to identify and properly interpret limits that are only applicable in certain conditions or at certain times.

Finally, there's also the option of only displaying it on the COMAND map, and not to have it display on the speedo, which is how I now leave mine set for regular journeys.

Exactly why I want it. I had it on my previous W212 but out of the four E63's I looked at at MSL last weekend none had it. Perhaps they go so quick that the speed doesn't matter!! :bannana:

E63 - WDD2120742A756666 - Doesn't have it
E220CDI - WDD2120022A655350 - did have it

Many thanks Richard

Hi all,

My 2013 E350 doesn't have speed limit assist but does have the driving assistance pack with 2 windscreen cameras.

Do I still require an additional camera?

Cheers

Michael

mickyp2810 said:
Hi all, My 2013 E350 doesn't have speed limit assist but does have the driving assistance pack with 2 windscreen cameras. Do I still require an additional camera? Cheers Michael

One camera is the night vision assist and the other is the multifunction camera. I suspect that as you have lane assist then it is the same camera and you can have speed limit assist added in the software. Contact Comand Online who will be able to advise you more.

Just doing a little research in the parts for the W221, it seems that the multifunction camera is the same one that is required for SLA. So the enabling via the software is possible. I was unaware of the alignment requirement? Additionally, I am still researching why it is not rated to work for US signs, unless it requires the the circle around the number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom