Speed limiter how does it work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
I have read the instructions and tried it, but cant make head nor tail of it!

Tried again on way to work and normally do 75mph ish and was thinking bugger me everyones driving fast tonight all flying past me, looked at speedo was doing 60:D whoops.

I thought you got to a speed engaged the limiter and it wouldnt let you go above that speed, handy for roadworks etc in case you forget yourself.

Cruise all works fine

Yours clueless
Lynall

Push the end of the stalk inwards so you can see the yellow light on it and LIM on the dashboard.
Then push the stalk up or down to select the speed.

Last edited:
Push the end of the stalk inwards so you can see the yellow light on it and LIM on the dashboard.
LIM doesn't show until you move stalk up/down to engage initially (after that up/down for +/- 5mph, forward for +1 increments, back to disengage).

Sounds like Lynall is just pushing the stalk in, but not actually engaging limit mode - stalk push just switches between modes.

or pull/push towards away from you to change the speed in 1 mph increments (just like you corrected me last time :D)

or pull/push towards away from you to change the speed in 1 mph increments (just like you corrected me last time :D)
Ahhh... That's a mystery resolved. I couldn't work out how to set the limiter in 1mph increments on the loan B-Class I had earlier this week.

The W204 works slightly differently in that you push the lever up or down to set the limiter at the current roadspeed; then push the lever up or down to increase/decrease the set speed in 1mph increments; or push the lever up or down past the detent point to increase/decrease the set speed in 5mph increments. Pushing the lever away disengages the limiter and pulling it towards you re-engages at the previously set limit (or at the current roadspeed if no limit previously set).

Thanks:) , you are all spot on, i didnt realise you had to lift the lever up or down, finally sussed this morning, and then only got it work in 5mph increment so i now know how to use it after all this time 6mths!

Ta
Lynall

Well just back from Zwolle nl and can confirm it never got used so must be a really useful bit of kit:D.

Lynall

Hi all, I was just wondering how many people use the Lim? I personally use it everytime I drive.

I use it a lot:

Where I know there are speed cameras

On motorways

I find it useful to know for certain that I can't be caught speeding without having to kep looking at the speedo.

Use it quite a lot. Certainly much more often than the cruise control.

Makes it much easier to stick to limits, esp those which are, apparently, set too low when it's very easy to inadvertantly let the speed creep up by a few mph.

Seems to me that CC and speed limiter have different applications.

CC is good when you are in a situation where you can continue without much interruption at the same speed with only the occasional need to slow down or maybe speed up a bit followed by resuming your cruising speed. A quiet motorway for example.

SL is good when you don’t want to exceed a certain speed but may have to speed up and slow down within that limit on a frequent basis. An urban road with parked cars, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc. is an example. CC is practically useless in such a situation.

If I could only have one of them I'd choose the SL as it's quite effective acting as a cruise control as long as you don't mind holding the accelerator down.

i set mine in town and through roadworks etc. I drive a lot with it and cruise, i really missed the limited on my bmw's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom