Speed limits and maths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marque

Car
S211 E220 CDI Avantgarde (2006/55)
There has been much comment recently about 'unnecessary' enforcement of traffic regulations 'just to make money' and how the police 'should be solving real crimes'. This has divided forum members broadly into two camps:
  • those who want the police to stop harassing honest motorists and to concentrate on catching criminals
  • and those who think people should take responsibility for their own actions.
Rather than take sides, I would like to look at this from another angle.

Let's start with a basic premise: we need to regulate traffic and how people use the roads. This seems obvious to me, but I will provide some reasons just in case anyone thinks otherwise:
  1. Our roads are very crowded. Traffic must be regulated to prevent chaos and gridlock.
  2. Vehicles and drivers must be licensed because vehicles are lethal weapons. (Even America licenses guns and gun owners.)
I hope everyone would agree that we need to have speed limits in this country. Excessive speed has been proven to be a main factor in accidents, injuries and deaths on our roads.

I'm not trying to say that every speed limit is sensible, but let's presume for a moment that the ones we have are broadly reasonable. The question then becomes how should speed limits be enforced?

Any rule that is not actually enforced is basically 'advisory'. I'm sure that everyone on this forum would agree that effective enforcement of speed limits and other traffic regulations is necessary, otherwise the carnage on our roads would be two or three times worse than it is now.

So, we need traffic regulations and we need them to be enforced. How should this be done? Let's take speed limits as an example.

Almost every driver exceeds the speed limit at some time, often many times a day. (I do and so does everyone I know.) By and large, we don't do it deliberately or unsafely; it's just very difficult to stick exactly to a certain speed and to see or to remember every time the speed limit changes.

Anyway, most people want to get where they are going as soon as possible. Even if you're not bothered, other drivers would get very frustrated if you didn't drive at the speed limit or above. (Learner drivers are taught to drive at the speed limit and can fail their driving test for going too slow.)

Here is the contradiction: how should we as a society enforce a rule that pretty much everyone breaks frequently? Well, what about not enforcing speed limits. This is not an option for the reasons outlined earlier. OK, let's only enforce 'excessive' speeding (10 mph over the limit, say). In this case, you are basically increasing the speed limit, so surely it would be clearer just to put the enforced speed limit on the sign.

Well, it turns out that the most efficient way to enforce speed limits is by random sampling. "What the heck has random sampling got to do with traffic enforcement?" I hear you cry. Let me explain.

There are, say, 10,000,000 speeding violations that occur every day in this country. Speed cameras and police checks catch around 1 in every 1,000 speeding violations, say. That means that around 10,000 speeders are caught each day. [My numbers are for illustration purposes only and have no evidential basis.]

Obviously, all sorts are people are caught speeding in this way: sensible drivers, boy racers, and everything in between. The important point is not whether you are caught speeding (it will probably happen to all but the most careful drivers) it is rather how frequently you are caught. If you are caught four times in three years then the law regards you as an unsafe driver who should be banned from driving. If you are caught only once or twice in three years then you are just a typical driver. If you have not been caught speeding in three years then either you are a careful driver or you don't drive much.

So, if you are caught speeding once, treat it as a warning and be more careful in future. Don't moan, "I was only doing 32 in a 30 zone." Speeding is speeding (and not a crime). It was just your unlucky day. Or think about the other 1,000 times you were not caught speeding!

As for the police, I think they do a pretty good job. In fact, they do many jobs: catching criminals, enforcing traffic regulations, finding lost children, etc. They are needed to catch speeding motorists where there are no cameras because otherwise the sampling rate would be too low and the whole enforcement system would collapse.

The police also use things like speed traps to enforce other motoring laws, including diving licence, vehicle registration, MOT, insurance and roadworthiness. Enforcement of these laws is done by checking everyone who is stopped for any reason. If they didn't do it then many more people would just ignore these laws.

Speed cameras can make money, but the police don't. It costs much more to send some coppers out to enforce traffic laws than any fines collected. (Fines don't go back to the police anyway.)

Of course, not all coppers are as fair as they should be, and various members of this forum have reported unpleasant episodes when police have stopped them. They are just human, and it must test their patience having to deal with the constant abuse and lying from some members of the public. This can make them rather cynical. However, the vast majority are pretty good when faced with polite compliance, in my experience.

Anyone who feels that the traffic enforcement system is wrong in some way should blame the people who make the rules, not those who enforce them. For example, I think that speeding offences should be more graduated (i.e. £40 + 2 points if 0-10 mph over the limit, £60 + 3 points if 11-20 mph over the limit, £100 + 4 points if 21-30 mph over the limit). However, a Government proposal like this seems to have been kicked into the long grass.

All the above is just my personal opinion and not aimed at any member of this forum!

. This has divided forum members broadly into two camps
[*]and those who think people should take responsibility for their own actions!

Sorry.....do we have a camp that says people in this country should not take responsibilty for their own actions?

Or is a camp that suggest people who do, should not be treated as badly as it seem they feel they have?

Its a perception that some people have that they are being treated badly and as such they feel hard done by, come on here, mention it and get an honest adult response to which others assume is unfair.

But I don't know anyone who readily argues they should not take responsiblity for thier own actions. That would be a breakdown in civility really.

So, if you are caught speeding once, treat it as a warning and be more careful in future. Don't moan, "I was only doing 32 in a 30 zone." Speeding is speeding (and not a crime). It was just your unlucky day. Or think about the other 1,000 times you were not caught speeding!
So true.

True, my own camp is treat all criminals/lawbreakers with the same enthusiasm and pursue all crime with the same vigour.
Do not take 3 weeks to come to a burglar scene, but 1 minute to appear at a car that has paid no tax.
do not give a shoplifter a warning and then someone parking on a yellow £80 fine or whatever,
and certainly do not tell people you have no officer to deal with a burglary, when over 20 are manning an ANPR site 200 metres away as happened to a forum member here.

So true 30mph in 30 ,it like going to buying apint , u get a pint no more or less

:

Speed cameras can make money, but the police don't. It costs much more to send some coppers out to enforce traffic laws than any fines collected. (Fines don't go back to the police anyway.)

!

Nice write up, but this is one of the stories i do not believe. Many fines do go back to the police and others go to so called camera partnerships.
Other sly ones like £104 for storage and £4 a day pound storage also adds up.
A recent council stated they will stop the cameras because the money was not coming back to them.
basically they are now fighting over cash from fines, instead of praying that the cash should be smaller.
Much like the so called congestion charge that was to ease congestion then become a tool for saving the planet

basically if you pack on a yellow line in north london and go into a shop, and someone comesin, hits the storekeeper over the head, does a robbery and runs i am certain you will get a bigger punishment than him

I think you have missed the point.

The preconception that speed is a killer has been proven wrong. It is INAPPROPRIATE use of speed that is the problem.

It has been used as a reason to change perfectly good speed limits on many roads to reduce limits for the purpose of generating revenue.

The maths on limits I understand was based on the 80th percentile of motorists speed.

Its now based on whatever generates most revenue. Hence your thought that frequency could dictate punishment - because in many areas speed limits have been unnaturally massaged. To generate revenue.

Put simply, if a limit is correct then it should be sensible and hence adhered to.

For instance 20, 30 and 40 limits are there because of hazards. (or should be)

To exceed 30 the speedometer has to be readiing around 35 mph.(speedo's have to read faster than actual speed.) Thats a speed reading almost 40mph by the time a ticket is given. Thats careless to me. Or a speed limit in the wrong place.

I often follow down unrestricted roads motorists tootling along at 45 mph on my bike. I pass - and when a built up area with a 30 mph speed limit comes up they tailgate me as I slow down to 30 - ignoring limit and trying to keep up 45 mph.

I do agree the enforcement is a different issue - and I believe that we should have a totally seperate Traffic police. The skills of dealing with motorists are very different from catching theives.

And the professional Traffic police would be the best source of advice on speed limits in order to keep the traffic moving. Not the revenue generating local authorites.

How a temporary 30mph limit is enforced through the night even when the workers are not working on it and all their machinery and cones have been cleared is meant to save the lives of the absent workers, is beyond me.
i guess i am just paranoid.

Personally I think that the real issue is that the focus on speed limit compliance in both UK traffic law and law enforcement has raised the perceived importance of those limits far above where they truly sit as an indicator of good or bad driving. Does anyone with a true understanding of the subject really, honestly, believe that travelling at posted limit -1 mph = good, safe driving, while travelling at posted limit +1 mph = dangerous, antisocial behaviour? Of course not. Safe driving is about far more than speed limit compliance, yet that's the message that the anti-speed lobby has tried, and at least partially succeeded, in portraying.

The fact is that people do routinely exceed the posted limit yet do not expose themselves or others to undue risk. The speed limit can be (and should be) an effective proxy that indicates to the driver the sort of behaviour that is expected, but the "slower is safer" school of road safety has resulted in many unncecessarily low limits being introduced. Unfortunately, this diminishes the worth of all speed limits as people routinely encounter these artificially low limits and exceed them with no ill effects (except, perhaps, the risk of points on their licence). It's little wonder then that people feel hard done by when an automated, or otherwise rigid and formulaic, enforcement system detects them breaking a speed limit and they receive a sanction for doing so.

Police officers often talk about the "attitude test" when they stop a driver, and for good reason. Most (perhaps all?) of us who have been driving for many years can probably tell a tale of how we were stopped for speeding by a real life police officer and given a stern talking to and sent on our way. Most of us would admit that a) we deserved to be stopped, and b) we learned that what we were doing wasn't acceptable and that any repetition would be met with some form of sanction. If, however, we adopted the "there was nothing wrong with what I was doing" approach with said officer we would probably have received a ticket. That's not because the officer was on a power trip, it was because they used their judgement to decide whether we'd received the message they were trying to get across or not, and whether or not we would learn from it. Automated "justice" by post can never achieve that, and neither can rigid "it's either black or white" enforcement by a police officer at the roadside.

Properly set, appropriate, speed limits can be a valuable tool to guide safe driving. Couple that with sensible enforcement regimes to deal with those who drive inappropriately and they work very well. However, they cannot ever be the absolute arbiter of safe driving that the current focus upon them makes them out to be. The sooner everyone admits that, the sooner we can move on to more effective road safety policies and look forward to driving on safer roads.

The preconception that speed is a killer has been proven wrong. It is INAPPROPRIATE use of speed that is the problem.
Who is going to define inappropriate speed? The variables are too plentiful to numerate, but include; road condition, car condition, driver skill etc. Clearly speed limits can not be set individually so therefore nominal speed limits are set.

The point at which speed changes from appropriate to inappropriate is far from easy to define. A man travelling along a straight road with no other traffic/pedestrians doing 40mph in a 60mph zone, may consider his speed appropriate. If he completes his journey, he will reinforce his perception that his speed is appropriate. On another (unlucky) day, he drives along the same road, doing the same speed, but a small animal runs out in front of him. He swerves and crashes into a tree. It is clear his injuries will be greater at 60mph than 40mph. It was only at the point when the animal ran out in front of him that his speed became inappropriate. This is an unlikely event I appreciate, but it does show that we as drivers aren't always in full knowledge of our surroundings to make the judgment of what is appropriate speed.

How a temporary 30mph limit is enforced through the night even when the workers are not working on it and all their machinery and cones have been cleared is meant to save the lives of the absent workers, is beyond me.
i guess i am just paranoid.

I wouldn't want to accidentally crash into one of their parked trucks doing 70mph.

I wouldn't want to accidentally crash into one of their parked trucks doing 70mph.

There is nothing to crash into as they and their machinery are gone. Clearly stated in the post

Last edited:
True, my own camp is treat all criminals/lawbreakers with the same enthusiasm and pursue all crime with the same vigour.
Do not take 3 weeks to come to a burglar scene, but 1 minute to appear at a car that has paid no tax.
do not give a shoplifter a warning and then someone parking on a yellow £80 fine or whatever,
and certainly do not tell people you have no officer to deal with a burglary, when over 20 are manning an ANPR site 200 metres away as happened to a forum member here.

I was trying to make the point that the police have to commit a certain number of officer-hours to traffic law enforcement for it to be an effective deterrent, even if they have something 'more important' to do.

Crimes (where one might end up in prison) and fixed penalty motoring offences (where one has to pay a fine) are simply enforced differently.

Who is going to define inappropriate speed? The variables are too plentiful to numerate, but include; road condition, car condition, driver skill etc. Clearly speed limits can not be set individually so therefore nominal speed limits are set.

The point at which speed changes from appropriate to inappropriate is far from easy to define. A man travelling along a straight road with no other traffic/pedestrians doing 40mph in a 60mph zone, may consider his speed appropriate. If he completes his journey, he will reinforce his perception that his speed is appropriate. On another (unlucky) day, he drives along the same road, doing the same speed, but a small animal runs out in front of him. He swerves and crashes into a tree. It is clear his injuries will be greater at 60mph than 40mph. It was only at the point when the animal ran out in front of him that his speed became inappropriate. This is an unlikely event I appreciate, but it does show that we as drivers aren't always in full knowledge of our surroundings to make the judgment of what is appropriate speed.

I think INAPPROPRIATE SPEED is the speed you were travelling at immediately prior to the accident.

Nice write up, but this is one of the stories i do not believe. Many fines do go back to the police and others go to so called camera partnerships.
Other sly ones like £104 for storage and £4 a day pound storage also adds up.
A recent council stated they will stop the cameras because the money was not coming back to them.
basically they are now fighting over cash from fines, instead of praying that the cash should be smaller.
Much like the so called congestion charge that was to ease congestion then become a tool for saving the planet

basically if you pack on a yellow line in north london and go into a shop, and someone comesin, hits the storekeeper over the head, does a robbery and runs i am certain you will get a bigger punishment than him

You're right, speed cameras and parking wardens do make money for councils. (I sort of skipped over this point, for the sake of brevity.) Some people have suggested that traffic cops make money too, but this is nonsense.

INAPPROPRIATE speed is the one that the council/policy makers decide on that road at that time

There is nothing to crash into as they and their machinery are gone. Clearly stated in the post

Point taken, sorry.
Though if road works are still not completed this may also imply that safety barriers are not up and road surfaces are not suitable for cars to use in an emergency.

Some people have suggested that traffic cops make money too, but this is nonsense.

is it?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3509373.stm

they get money back they claim to maintain the upkeep of the cameras.
well who do you believe now.
The treasury has the rest. they call it reinvesting

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/roads/roadsafety/whomanagessafetycamerasonthe6194

either way it is just an arm of the money making part of the govrnment. much like the justice system

Marque, the new Sentencing Guidelines do graduate speeding penalties along the lines you suggest (although they don't match your penalties precisely!). Although only called 'guidelines' there is now a requirement for magistrates to consult them before sentencing (previously there was no such requirement in law) and reasons must be given when sentencing other than in accordance with the guidelines.

Speeding is dealt with on page 131. And another thing.......those who think courts deal more harshly with speeding motorists than burglars; have a look at the guideline on page 35.
http://www.sentencing-guidelines.gov.uk/docs/magistrates_court_sentencing_guidelines_update.pdf
(this is a freely-available document by the way. Nothing odd about posting the link here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom