Speed sensor re coding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ffc1971chris

Car
616 sprinter
Hi anyone out there know anything about the speed sensor on a 2003 616 sprinter.
I'm in the process of changing out the crown wheel and pinion for a slightly lower ratio which will in turn reduce the engine rpm.
My concern is possible limp mode triggers at 60 mph my rpm will be reduced by 300 rpm in 5th gear. This is only a small change and this ratio change is a merecades option for this 616.
The 616 comes with these to axle options as standard they are listed as a 46:8 or a 41:8 ratio.

That's what I thought. But it's been pointed out to me on a forum this.

Yes the cluster gets the wheelspeeds from CAN from the ABS controller (if fitted). But it also contains the diff ratio in its coding. I beleive its got something to do with the ESP and traction control systems.

If you change the diff ratio without changing it in the IC coding it will go into limp mode

Is it possible that my 17 year old van doesn't have a transmission ECU.

Ok, I am not sure how manual transmission car has ESP handled, I think ABS speed sensors read directly own wheel speeds so any differential ratio should not matter? Or does this model has only one sensor in rear? That would explain why there is ratio option in ESP. Because car is 2003 model, it should be re-coded easily by SDS (DAS).

I have take 2 pics one is cluster with signals aluminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom