Speed Trap Detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 estate
Does anyone have any opinions on what is the best speed trap detector on the market at the moment.
Is a GPS based one better or a laser type:confused:
And are they still legal to use in this country:confused:

Any help will be most appreciated as always:D

This is NOT off topic!

GPS. Other than that when I tried looking for a more current device recently I couldn't make my mind up, so looking forward to replies.

I had an Origin B2 in mind, but was put off as this fantastic device seems to have gone end of life (although still available). I didn't really like the look of Origin's new product lineup.

Talex came out one of the best in nearly all reviews......Its cheap and very good, hence the reason why I use one and can recommend it.

Subscription cost is also very reasonable.

TomTom has speed camera alerts built into it, but keeping it up to date incurs a subscription charge.

I also have a Beltronics 990, which is essentially a Euro 550. This picks up all radar and laser emmissions, but isn't infallible. The radar detector element picks up a lot of rogue signals, and the laser bit requires very fast responses from the driver, as it will only alert if a beam is on you, ie, your car is being targetted by a hair dryer laser gun device with a policeman on the other end.

Devices that block/jam laser beams are illegal, as technically you can be seen as perverting the course of justice, but no doubt some devices are harder to detect than others. I understand some alert you to let you know you've been targetted and that the laser beam has been jammed, allowing you to slow down, by which time its deactivated, so when the puzzled officer tries again he gets a reading of your speed, albeit once you have decelerated.

There were moves afoot to ban radar detectors, but I'm fairly sure there wasn't time to put this through parliament, and now the government are too busy nationalising banks and failing to eliminate bovine TB to think about it.

By the way, every thread like this on this forum will invariably feature some people recommending, pointing out and opining...
The Mk I Eyeball.
Never exeeding a speed limit, ever.
Only idiots travel over the speed limit.

Good luck with whatever device(s) you choose!

I use a Roadpilot micro with GPS database and laser detection. Its just been swapped from my old car to my W210 and looks great, very discreet. I update the camera database every week online and that cost's £90 for 3 years. They say they have people checking out reported camera locations, so no false alarms. funnily enough last night it kept giving me laser alarms and I assumed it was some sort of radio signal skip given the conditions with thick fog as its supposed to only pick up lasers within 1km. Just about to turn it off to stop the alarm when I came across a very small speed camera on a tripod and parked nearby was a police vehicle. Wasn't speeding but the car coming the other way was, stupid given the fog, and it was flashed. Overall I am very happy with it.

I got a Snooper Syrius S2000 Proline and provides advanced warning of the following:

Gatso & Truvelo Cameras
Watchman
MCS (Multi Camera System) “The Daddy”
Speedcurb
SPECs average speed
Roadwork cameras
DS 2
Accident Hotspots
High Risk Zones
Mobile Laser
Mobile Safety Vans
Temporary Gatso
Truvelo Cameras
Congestion Charge Cameras
Digital Cameras

According to the blurb on the Syrius website;

"Syrius uses Snooper's Enigma database ensuring that you have the most up to date speed camera data available. Whilst many ordinary sat-nav systems 'with cameras' provide you updates every 3 or 4 months, our dedicated camera data collection team update Enigma daily so the second a camera is added you can download it. "

However as far as Laser detection goes, the blurb seems to be miss leading, as you require, as far as I am aware, some form of Laser optic to detect Laser technology, which my product certainly doesn't have. What Syrius are saying is that they have provided latest data via their daily download, of where last known positions reported where Mobile Laser Detection vans have operated, which isn’t the same thing at all as having Laser detection technology built in.
Kinda like telling you after the event.:crazy: really helpful :rolleyes:

Otherwise it's not a bad unit despite all the lash up I had when I first ordered it.

Last edited:
I'm using Wayviewer's POI Alert in my Nokia N73. It gives audible warnings so just stays in my pocket, the free camera database (at http://www.scdb.info/en/ ) is up-to-date and I don't have any messy leads and chargers to botther with.

As I use the SAP cradle my phone is also connected at the same time.

At €20 for POI Alert and £20 for a GPS receiver it is a bargain.

P.S Laser Detectors are illegal and, as they only alert you when in range, worse than useless anyway.

Last edited:
There was some question over Snoopers database previously rather than their devices.

anyone got photos of their installation? Always nice to see the aesthetics as well as the performance...

Laser detectors are basically useless, that's why Snooper don't incorporate them into their detectors anymore. :crazy:

Hence, a GPS based unit for fixed camera and mobile sites.

I personally use the original Snooper Sirius.

The more subtle answer to lasers, is to invest in "Garage Door" opening technology. Well that's the commercial line.

An example is here. ;)

Alternatively, don't speed! :)

Lets be perfectly clear on this, the use of a laser / Radar detector is NOT illegal, although, there is talk of a bill going through parliament that may make them illegal in the future. GPS devices will not be made illegal as that would make it look like the authorities are only trying to make money and not slow people down, that would be an incorrect assumption, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: I will try to post a pic of my installation of the Roadpilot.

I use a TomTom, but with the pocketgps speed camera database instead of TomToms own. It is updated more frequently and is more accurate, can also be used with other SatNavs, i.e. Garmin etc.
Mine is configured to warn you of the camera position and speed limit for the road the camera is on. Also includes known mobile camera sites.

Russ

As mentioned, Laser is highly directional so you will only get a warning when your car is being lit up - normally too late by then as your speed has already been read. RADAR is more detectable but it's only really used for fixed cameras now, and a GPS system will tell you of those.

Actual detectors (which a GPS system isn't) were due to be outlawed in the UK, however this seems to have been dropped. But they ARE illegal in much of Europe ... in many countries it's an offence to have one in your car, even switched off.

I use the TomTom safety camera stuff ... the subscription isn't much, and most importantly it covers all of Europe. We drive to the South of Germany and back fairly often, and with motorway speed limits varying from one country to the next it would be quite easy to get caught out. The fixed camera database is updated monthly but you also receive the latest mobile camera sites via your mobile phone as you drive along.

Laser jammers are a neat idea but if you get stopped they may well send someone round to look at your garage doors ;) There are others that double as front parking sensors ... possibly justifiable if you don't have Parktronic fitted.

This is a picture of my roadpilot, http://www.pbase.com/llotse/image/93167605 , i decided to fit it where the previous owner left his mobile phone kit and it covers an unsightly mess. The laser / radar detector is fitted to the winscreen, but will be moved behind the grill, and is hard wired into the small unit in the picture. The unit can be removed from the cradle quickly and easily to avoid theft. My understanding is that the laser does not have to be fired at my car only within 1km of my car. Laser jammers are illegal and you can be charged with perverting the course of justice, I would rather take 3 points and 60 quid.

My understanding is that the laser does not have to be fired at my car only within 1km of my car.

Unlikely. Laser is a narrow beam of light; a detector can only give the alarm if it falls on it (in direct line of sight).

RADAR is different ... it uses radio waves that spread out and pass through things (to some extent).

Unlikely. Laser is a narrow beam of light; a detector can only give the alarm if it falls on it (in direct line of sight).

RADAR is different ... it uses radio waves that spread out and pass through things (to some extent).

I see what you mean about laser I expect it should be a very narrow beam but the Roadpilot website shows it being detected at 1km. Could be due to scatter or could be marketing hype. Mine picked up the portable unit at about 5km last night and kept warning me intermittently, so much so I nearly turned it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom