Speeding fines getting tougher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like a fair system to me that punishes reckless speeding appropriately. You have to be doing approx. 30% above the posted limit before the harsher penalties apply. Anyone speeding to that extent deserves what they get.

Band C fines carry an absolute minimum fine of 150 per cent of the offender’s weekly income.

That's ace, for us that are not on payroll 150% of zero is zero - fab!

I don't like the idea of the fines being capped though. For me, being fined a minimum one and a half weeks wages is going to hurt. A footballer on £200,000 a week is just going to laugh at a capped fine of say, £5000.

I don't like the idea of the fines being capped though. For me, being fined a minimum one and a half weeks wages is going to hurt. A footballer on £200,000 a week is just going to laugh at a capped fine of say, £5000.

He won't laugh at six points though , leaving him only one more fail before losing his licence .

Filling some pot holes in the roads too along with the above maybe a good idea to enhance road safety.

Nearly had a head-on collision with a driver swerving late to try and avoid a water filled tank-trap, sorry pot-hole...

God forbid I get caught speeding and fined, and they work out my income like the child maintenance service does their working out... would mean some ridiculous made up high amount :rollseyes:

They've been doing something similar in Switzerland for years now and the result is that you don't get caught speeding there. At the higher level of offence, they will take your car. Others can be on-the-spot.

Ernie

I see what you're saying, but also punishment has to be proportionate to the crime. 91 mph on a motorway is not something that should attract a fine of 200k, when compared to other offences. It would make it (in terms of fines) the biggest offence in the country, which it isn't.

Filling some pot holes in the roads too along with the above maybe a good idea to enhance road safety.
Good point !!! its scandalous the state of our roads.. I have seen many near prangs due pot hole avoidance.. signage on road ..never mind the actual damage bad roads are doing to tyres and wheels..its a disgrace !!!!...so who cares ?? obv the Govt don't !!! foxy52

At the other end of the scale, the A scale, taking half a weeks pay for potentially going a tick or two over the limit feels disproportionate to me.

How exactly are they going to determine the 'wages' of a company director who pays himself minimum wage, runs his company 'at a loss' and pays himself dividends ?

Oh that's right, he on minimum wage so his class C fine when caught doing 101mph in his £200000.00 car will be tiny.

Or he could take the 7 day ban instead of the 6 points and have a week off or pay someone to drive him to work.

Another dopey scheme. Stop this stupid fixation on speeding (except for the real idiots) and concentrate on getting bad/selfish/drug/drunk/no tax/ no MOT/no licence/ drivers off the roads first. And fix the bloody pot holes while you are at it. :mad:

I don't agree that punishment is linked to how rich or poor anyone is. For the same crime the same punishment should apply.

I don't agree that punishment is linked to how rich or poor anyone is. For the same crime the same punishment should apply.

Great in theory but would a £200 fine be the same 'punishment' to somebody that earns £200k as someone on £2k?

The punishment needs to impact that person's life in a meaningful manner and when it comes to money, some form of means testing needs to be adopted.

Mind you the same could be said for a custodial sentence. Would a homeless person find a 2month sentence as 'punishing' as a self-employed father of 3?

The punishment has to be tailored to the person to some degree

Great in theory but would a £200 fine be the same 'punishment' to somebody that earns £200k as someone on £2k?

The punishment needs to impact that person's life in a meaningful manner and when it comes to money, some form of means testing needs to be adopted.

Mind you the same could be said for a custodial sentence. Would a homeless person find a 2month sentence as 'punishing' as a self-employed father of 3?

The punishment has to be tailored to the person to some degree

Exactly the same could be said regarding custodial sentences or anything. It is not changing the offense that was committed.

As my grand mother said you can't plug feather of a bold chicken. There are lots of people who just don't care in society. This won't make any difference.

I recall having to pay £1000 for a speeding offense a long time ago. The chap before me had his third speeding offense. The first two were being paid off at some ridiculous low amount. The next was being added to it. He was let off as he just couldn't pay it. Now he will go out and just do it again.

This whole system can be simplified. Same crime same punishment.

I've always said you can fine someone as much as you like but it'll make no difference to their thinking, other than fining them something life changing

Bailiffs banging the door down would soon make people pull their socks up, people need to actually regret what they've done rather than pay a little bit and no doubt commit the crime again

in my view the only way to stamp this out is to confiscate the phone. First offence you lose it for a month and each offence thereafter the confiscation period doubles.

Some will just go out and buy another cheap phone to see them through but i suspect as the majority of people whom have 'their life' in their phone, i bet they'd think twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom