Speeding in France warning! Roll On Brexit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the OP:
...on 1st October 2018 at 16.30pm, on the A75 between Millau & Montpellier, I was caught on a speed camera doing 88kph in an 80kph limit.
(my emphasis)
OK, enough of this nonsense.
Yes, there's a whole lot of nonsense on this thread.

The main nonsense is that the speed limit was reduced from 90km/h to 80km/h last year on single carriageway, undivided, roads, not on Autoroutes or other dual carriageways.

Oh, and BTW, there's been an 80km/h limit on the twisty downhill section of the A75 between exits 50 and 51 for years. Here's the Google Street View evidence from May 2018... Google Maps

From the OP:(my emphasis)Yes, there's a whole lot of nonsense on this thread.

The main nonsense is that the speed limit was reduced from 90km/h to 80km/h last year on single carriageway, undivided, roads, not on Autoroutes or other dual carriageways.

That's a very fair point. I'd forgotten to translate my A-roads into French! The entire 90 to 80 stuff is moot!

To be honest, the thread was meant as a warning to anyone who's been lately or is going to France, nothing more. Some want to nitpick and play the blame game instead.

I got flashed by a camera on that same stretch back in September 2017 - was doing about 93km/h, and thought it was a bit sharp to be snapped at that speed - though to be fair, that stretch is steep and twisty and pretty un-motorway-like. Thankfully, I never heard anything more about it. Do generally stick to the speed limits nowadays though - and French autoroutes are not the racetrack they used to be in the old days.

pop the speed limiter on and no tickets !! just a thought :)

No foreign holidays for us this year, I thought it prudent to wait.

Not a political statement, just fact.

No foreign holidays for us this year, I thought it prudent to wait.

Not a political statement, just fact.
Why prudent? Watch Terminal too many times??

On the contrary we will be away more as prices are really low. Win win for us.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Why prudent? Watch Terminal too many times??

On the contrary we will be away more as prices are really low. Win win for us.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I think the issues surrounding booking a holiday at times of uncertainty are that you do not know if you will need some sort of visa, international drivers license (if driving), special car insurance (if taking the car), etc. Additionally, if the Pound keeps falling any further, the holiday can turn-out to be more expensive than originally planned.

And while none of these issues are insurmountable, the whole point of a holiday is that it is supposed to be fun and relaxing. If it involves stress and anxiety over the unknown, it misses the point.

pop the speed limiter on and no tickets !! just a thought :)

Sounds like an easy solution, but French roads do not have a maximum speed limit like UK roads as such. The speed limit is contantly changing between 130kph, 110kph, 90kph, 80kph etc on the same stretch of road. Any bends on the road, tunnels, slip roads or exits will have a different limit from the 130kph max.

Sounds like an easy solution, but French roads do not have a maximum speed limit like UK roads as such. The speed limit is contantly changing between 130kph, 110kph, 90kph, 80kph etc on the same stretch of road. Any bends on the road, tunnels, slip roads or exits will have a different limit from the 130kph max.

So you change the limit on the car when the limit on the road changes. I do 2k miles in France each year and have done for the last 15 years. Always use the limiter (or Distronic on Autoroutes) and have never had a problem... or a ticket!

I do 2k miles in France each year and have done for the last 15 years. Always use the limiter (or Distronic on Autoroutes) and have never had a problem... or a ticket!

I'll be praying every night that you get one soon, you're a real compassionate guy.

... do not have a maximum speed limit like UK roads as such...

Unless the Motorway has variable speed limit. Or roadworks. Or worse, both. Which is most of the UK Motorways I drive on :(

I'll be praying every night that you get one soon, you're a real compassionate guy.

How completely unwarranted and unpleasant. You made a statement which I disagreed with. If you are so incapable of allowing anyone to have a different point of view to your own, don't post on fora.

If you read back, you will see that my comments have referred on each occasion to your actions. Your retaliations have been personal attacks. Spectators will judge accordingly.

Unless the Motorway has variable speed limit. Or roadworks. Or worse, both. Which is most of the UK Motorways I drive on :(

Still not like French roads, I've seen the speed limit change 5 times in a stretch only 2 miles long. Some of the twisty downhill mountain sections change to 80 for every bend and then go back to 110, then 130 only yards later.
Anyway, this is not what the thread was for, it was to warn anyone who's been in the last 6 months that you may get a surprise in the post.

Ironically, the "yellow jackets" started their protests the weekend we returned to the UK which involved spraying all the speed camera lenses with yellow paint rendering them all useless....

Vive les Gilets Jaunes! Any chance of them starting a UK subsidiary?

Here in London we have been having violent demonstrations by anarchist groups almost every year on 1st May, turning central London into a warzone.

Luckily it's a local phenomenon and the rest of the UK has been spared the wrath of the misfits.

I think it's time the Administrators closed down or removed this thread. Once people start shouting-out to support violent anti-Semitic rioters, looters and arsonists just because someone is upset at getting a speeding ticket, things have gone far too far.

Another MBClub argument :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom