Speeding ticket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
My Dad has just picked up a speeding ticket (40 in the 30 zone) has the choice go on £80 speed awareness course or fine + 3 points. He currently has a clean licence.

For all sorts of reasons he is tempted to pay fine, take points. Anybody have experience of likely reaction to points from insurance Co at next renewal?

Shopping around at renewal is unlikely, he's 87 and seems insurance companies are not that keen on new customers at that age.

Hi,I recently got 3 points and a fine for speeding and at renewal my premium was unaffected(my licence had no points before the speeding ticket),I would have taken a safety awareness course over points any day but wasn't an option as speed was too high.

Last edited:
It might depend on the insurance. - With Churchill my premiums went up (and continued to be elevated until the points were gone), but Hastings and Andrian Flux didn't seem too bothered by it.

It's the reason I changed from Churchill to Hastings Direct.

Be aware that some companies now require you to disclose speed awareness courses. So there can potentially be an impact even if you don't get points.

My Dad has just picked up a speeding ticket (40 in the 30 zone) has the choice go on £80 speed awareness course or fine + 3 points. He currently has a clean licence.

For all sorts of reasons he is tempted to pay fine, take points. Anybody have experience of likely reaction to points from insurance Co at next renewal?

Shopping around at renewal is unlikely, he's 87 and seems insurance companies are not that keen on new customers at that age.

I got the same a few months ago ( 41 in a 30 ) and had a clean licence

Finding it hard to believe because I was sure road was a 40 , I went back and saw several 'new 30 limit in force signs' - perhaps my own poor observation , but road was lined with parked vehicles so some might have been obscured , and it was night when I was clocked .

I decided to take the 3 points and £100 fixed penalty on the chin rather than dispute it ( no option of awareness courses here ) . When I phoned my insurer , it cost me a £15 admin fee and that was it - no hike on renewal ( apparently ) although premium had gone up approx £20 compared to the year before .

Be aware that some companies now require you to disclose speed awareness courses. So there can potentially be an impact even if you don't get points.

This 'should' mean a reduction in your premium as you've now been professionally made aware of the consequences of speeding, thus making you a much safer driver than you previously were.

Obviously that's not how insurance companies see it.

Which is why(I've said this on here before) I've never disclosed my awareness course, as there's no national database to record it, it's individual local authorities, so the insurance companies can't check.

I had an incident within 3 years of my course that I didn't disclose with no problems.

Im no expert but i'd take the course and not disclose(or choose a company that doesn't ask. I'm not aware of the comparison sites asking) every time.

Insurance companies do FOI checks on each police force which offers Speed Awareness courses, so they collate their own databases.

You do not have to disclose if they do not specifically ask (and most don't) but if they do, then you will be committing insurance fraud if you lie.

Having to declare you have had insurance cancelled in the future due to fraud will make insurance very very expensive in the future. This happens to hundreds of people every year.

You do not have to disclose if they do not specifically ask (and most don't) but if they do, then you will be committing insurance fraud if you lie.
^ People don't realise how important this is. If you are asked a specific question when completing the proposal, then you must give an accurate answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom