Speeding ticket

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David404, Oct 16, 2016.

1. David404

David404 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E320 Sport
    My Dad has just picked up a speeding ticket (40 in the 30 zone) has the choice go on £80 speed awareness course or fine + 3 points. He currently has a clean licence.

For all sorts of reasons he is tempted to pay fine, take points. Anybody have experience of likely reaction to points from insurance Co at next renewal?

Shopping around at renewal is unlikely, he's 87 and seems insurance companies are not that keen on new customers at that age.

2. steve333

steve333 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 bluetec amg night edition 2016 in polar white.(his),E220 blutec Amg sport coupe in iridium silv
    Hi,I recently got 3 points and a fine for speeding and at renewal my premium was unaffected(my licence had no points before the speeding ticket),I would have taken a safety awareness course over points any day but wasn't an option as speed was too high.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  3. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    It might depend on the insurance. - With Churchill my premiums went up (and continued to be elevated until the points were gone), but Hastings and Andrian Flux didn't seem too bothered by it.

It's the reason I changed from Churchill to Hastings Direct.

4. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Be aware that some companies now require you to disclose speed awareness courses. So there can potentially be an impact even if you don't get points.

5. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    I got the same a few months ago ( 41 in a 30 ) and had a clean licence

Finding it hard to believe because I was sure road was a 40 , I went back and saw several 'new 30 limit in force signs' - perhaps my own poor observation , but road was lined with parked vehicles so some might have been obscured , and it was night when I was clocked .

I decided to take the 3 points and £100 fixed penalty on the chin rather than dispute it ( no option of awareness courses here ) . When I phoned my insurer , it cost me a £15 admin fee and that was it - no hike on renewal ( apparently ) although premium had gone up approx £20 compared to the year before .

6. mat8n

mat8n Banned

Car:
    Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
    This 'should' mean a reduction in your premium as you've now been professionally made aware of the consequences of speeding, thus making you a much safer driver than you previously were.

Obviously that's not how insurance companies see it.

Which is why(I've said this on here before) I've never disclosed my awareness course, as there's no national database to record it, it's individual local authorities, so the insurance companies can't check.

I had an incident within 3 years of my course that I didn't disclose with no problems.

Im no expert but i'd take the course and not disclose(or choose a company that doesn't ask. I'm not aware of the comparison sites asking) every time.

7. 400ixl

400ixl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E250 AMG Sport Convertible
    Insurance companies do FOI checks on each police force which offers Speed Awareness courses, so they collate their own databases.

You do not have to disclose if they do not specifically ask (and most don't) but if they do, then you will be committing insurance fraud if you lie.

Having to declare you have had insurance cancelled in the future due to fraud will make insurance very very expensive in the future. This happens to hundreds of people every year.

1 person likes this.
  8. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Diamond White W212 E63 Biturbo with Night Package / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    ^ People don't realise how important this is. If you are asked a specific question when completing the proposal, then you must give an accurate answer.