Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philc57

Car
C200 estate 4 matic.,,, zrx1200s, Ducati diavel
Just received a "notice of prosecution " from the Kent constabulary for a braking of the speed limit on the A20 in Maidstone 36mph in a 30 zone .
It's only the second time ever I've been caught (if that's the right word) ,the first time was many years ago while out on the bike.
I'm hoping I'll be able to take the speed awareness course that's mentioned 🙏

.......(if that's the right word).......... it's actually breaking not braking but I can understand the confusion. My guess is a course.

Maidstone area, and the M20 J9 to J8 is well known for unmarked cop cars - I live 7 miles from J9 so use the M20 London bound quite frequently, and am rather careful there as a result!

.......(if that's the right word).......... it's actually breaking not braking but I can understand the confusion. My guess is a course.
Correct I'm tired

You should get away with a Speed awareness course if you haven't been caught this last year. You're safely in the Band A zone for the penalty. (Just 3 points and probably 50% of weekly income if they go with the fine. It all varies from area to area.)

It's a pan-European thing. The regulators are focussing on getting speeds down.

Screenshot 2022-03-26 at 03.00.47.png

Last edited:
To be honest check your insurance premiums before doing the boredom course. Mine would have gone up 3quid a year if I had just taken the points.

My Mate Dave was done for 93 in a 70 just over three years ago, and they were still using the fixed penalties - £90 and 3 points.

Cash Cow...

It wouldn't be if people didn't speed, it's speeders that enable it. If you're going to speed then you need to be prepared for the consequences of breaking the law, I was caught a few months ago and it was a fair cop, took it on the chin. I never understand why people slate speed cameras - they wouldn't be there if people didn't speed.

You should get away with a Speed awareness course if you haven't been caught this last year. You're safely in the Band A zone for the penalty. (Just 3 points and probably 50% of weekly income if they go with the fine. It all varies from area to area.)

It's a pan-European thing. The regulators are focussing on getting speeds down.
I believe this chart only applies if you get taken to court. If they decide to deal with it as a fixed penalty it's 3 points and a £100 fine, or a course if you're eligible.

I think you will get the chance of the course,but all the money charged for the course goes to the people running it and the police and speed camera people so financing their lives,many insurance companies do not take any notice of that sort of speeding,but then we get the driver saying but I don't want the points on my licence,so it is up to the driver,pay the government the fine or the speed camera people and sit through a boring 4 hours on a Saturday,with a failed driving instructor and a aged police officer,but on the bright side you do get custard cream biscuits with the tea provided.
I went on one of these courses only after being asked by friends who wanted to know what went on,so I did and as above a waste of a Saturday,this was about 6 years ago,if I got a speeding fine now I would take the points

Reactions: m80
Correct.....my workshop manager just took the points and fixed fine. Made no difference on his or the company insurance....not until he gets 6 points....even the insurance companies know how easy it is to wonder above the limit and how easy it is to be caught these days! The course is about the same cost as the fine and since he did a SAC many years ago he said that be would rather take the points than "be spoken to like a naughty school boy by some condescending ****" who had probably done a couple of mph over the limit driving to the course just like everyone else! He was doing 36 in a 30 on and empty country lane.....
As for those "holier than thou" types saying about "don't speed and you won't get caught"....well we all WITHOUT exception speed.....I don't mean silly three figures speeding or even 40 past the school at closing....I mean little bits here and there so any of you could be nicked at some point. No one gets down to sub 30 EVERY time before the 30 limit sign and no one does not start pushing the throttle down a bit before the 30 limit ends once in a while.....NO ONE!
Oh....and for clarity I have been lucky.....last (and only time) I was nicked for speeding was 1989....I.was 22!.....41 in a 30 on my GSX600F!

It wouldn't be if people didn't speed, it's speeders that enable it. If you're going to speed then you need to be prepared for the consequences of breaking the law, I was caught a few months ago and it was a fair cop, took it on the chin. I never understand why people slate speed cameras - they wouldn't be there if people didn't speed.
A decade or so ago Speed cameras used to be only in locations where a fatal or serious collision had taken place.

Does anyone know if that's still the case?

The course would be good if it could educate.
Wait till you watch the video, you will be watching for the kid with the ball or girlie with pushchair on the pavement, the car door about to open.
"What time of year was it?" eh.
We were all terrible drivers because we didn't see xmas lights at the top of the lamp posts, that weren't illuminated during the day.

Another wanted to ascertain who was to blame in an accident when some one had pulled out in front of a not speeding car.
The greater blame was apportioned to the steady driver that should have slowed down in case the fum duck was going to pull out.

I nearly failed the course. I stated that aim is to slow every one down. This I can understand but suggested that re training of many who had no cause to consider their highway code knowledge or driving style since passing a test multi moons ago would do oodles for improving road safety.
In sarcasm I said that if the roads are so dangerous the Gov't had a responsibility to close 'em. Slowing inept drivers doesn't improve their driving. Retraining would, or remove 'em from the roads.

The course is for revenue, nowt else.

Reactions: JHS
As for those "holier than thou" types saying about "don't speed and you won't get caught"....well we all WITHOUT exception speed.....I don't mean silly three figures speeding or even 40 past the school at closing....I mean little bits here and there so any of you could be nicked at some point. No one gets down to sub 30 EVERY time before the 30 limit sign and no one does not start pushing the throttle down a bit before the 30 limit ends once in a while.....NO ONE!

Actually in any limit 40 or under I do, in fact I generally make sure I'm slightly under. If you speed 'a little bit' then you still won't get a ticket, drifting a few mph over the limit won't trigger any camera - 10% + 2 is the general allowance. So to be issued a ticket you need to be doing 36 in a 30 (unlucky OP!), 47 in a 40, etc.

I think I've done seven courses now over the last 20 years. Ealing, Bicester, Poole and somewhere in Sarf London.

But I suspect that's because they didn't use to have a central database of fines, so each Police Authority operated independently.

Excellent way of not getting points, which I haven't had for a couple of decades now.

For elimination of doubt - always for being slightly over the speed limit in dry, daytime conditions with perfect visibility and no-one else on the road.

The only change I've noticed is that the last two have emphasised driving AT the speed limit, not BELOW. Which irritates me no end.

They were clearly pushing nervous old and young ladies (sorry girls, but they were) to drive faster than they would have otherwise chosen to.

drifting a few mph over the limit won't trigger any camera
Well I've been done for 33 in a 30.
Meliden near Prestatyn.
And then there is the van that sits at the end of a long straight stretch.
That's the coast road into Prestatyn after passing Nant Hall. The limit drops to 30, for no good reason.
This summer plod will be scaring away many much needed tourists from the area, again.

Well I've been done for 33 in a 30.
Meliden near Prestatyn.
And then there is the van that sits at the end of a long straight stretch.
That's the coast road into Prestatyn after passing Nant Hall. The limit drops to 30, for no good reason.
This summer plod will be scaring away many much needed tourists from the area, again.
33 in a 30 - that's very unlucky. Below 10% + 2 I would argue the case based on calibration of your speedo and the camera and margin for error - which is the reason for the 10% +2. I've done so and been successful in the past. As for the van - well you know it's there so there's not really any excuse not to slow down for it. There has to be justification for speed limits, and it's not the police who set them as far as I'm aware (could be wrong) but the councils and relevant safety boards.

At the end of the day whether you agree with the limits or not, the choice is stick to them or exceed them and be prepared for the consequences.

A decade or so ago Speed cameras used to be only in locations where a fatal or serious collision had taken place.
That was a popular misconception, promoted by those responsible for collecting the revenue raised. ISTR that the criteria were something like "within a mile of" such a location.
Does anyone know if that's still the case?
It never was, and isn't now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom