Speedometer Battle - BMW M235i VS Mercedes CLA45 AMG

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by mark0006, Apr 27, 2014.

1. mark0006

mark0006 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    190e
    [YOUTUBE]VqUnik7ozvs[/YOUTUBE]

I thought the CLA45 would be faster. Surprised with the results of this test considering the Mercedes has more horsepower than the BMW.

Specs and details in the article

1 person likes this.
  2. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
  3. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    A difficult choice to have to make, erring on the side of the BM being candid. Then again, as an all rounder the M-B, I reckon it has the M235i well and truly licked - 4 doors, 4x4 but at a cost.

4. Peter DLM

Peter DLM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    17 reg E220d AMG Estate, 17 reg Smart Prime, Caterham Levante and E92 M3.
    That the CLA is so close to a BMW in type of comparison is a win IMHO. BMW tends town most of the driving enjoyment and performance tests.

5. moff

moff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    Saw a CLA45 in the flesh in the motorway and was very unimpressed. It looked terrible. It's a shame as I was considering one next.

So for me the M235i wins - RWD, much nicer interior, 3 litre noise, LSD optional the list goes on...

6. moff

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    Oh and the gearbox is a massive fail in the CLA. A dreadful attempt at dual clutch (I drove the A45). The 8 speed ZF in the BMW is so much nicer.

7. OP
    OP
    mark0006

Car:
    190e

I agree, I saw one dealership and it looks like a regular CLA sport package. Mercedes should've added some Fender flares.

8. BenzedUP

BenzedUP Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    NA
    Why? what was so dreaful about it? I quite like the DCT in the A45 & CLA45?

better than the normal 7G Auto MB offer in their cars.

9. rsk21

rsk21 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German and British
    Have to say I agree with the above.

Had 35 mins in one at Brooklands and the gearbox didn't bother me unduly. It wasn't Ferrari or Porsche quick but it seemed at least as good as the 7 speed mct.

10. OP
    OP
    mark0006

Car:
    190e

How does the gearbox feel starting from a standstill is a jerky?

11. rsk21

Car:
    German and British
    It didn't feel unduly so to me. We did various quick starts and straight runs both in auto and manual and all felt fine to me.

12. moff

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    It's slow for a DCT and it doesn't like changing down when you are driving quickly.

Frustrated the hell out of me. Up shifts are ok but still not of VAG's DSG standards.

I had it manual the whole time and didn't use C or S (no S+ setting either).

Was happy to get back to my 7G+ MCT.

I know this is MB's first really attempt but it's unacceptable for a car of this cost.

Just go and read or watch the reviews on YouTube too.

Wanted to love the A45 and apart from the cheap interior and gearbox I did.

13. BenzedUP

BenzedUP Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    NA

I think a software upgrade might fix or make it a little sharper, that's all it needs, imo.

I don't always listen to reviews, I personally liked it when I dove the A45, thought it's a better option than the 7G auto box.

It's no Porsche PDK but it's quick.

I much prefer it over the 7G box in my SLK55, which is slow even with the AMG Speedshift.

Think the DCT in the SLS is MB's 'proper' dual-clutch gearbox, I think ferrari use it in some of their cars.

14. rsk21

Car:
    German and British
    Agree with the above - I think the Rebellion chaps are working on a TCU map.

SLS box is indeed the real deal :)

1 person likes this.
  15. MarriedBlonde

MarriedBlonde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe/ML350 Cdi Sport/69 vw Bus
    I am quite liking the new 2 series, not enough to buy one at the moment. Been to my local bm dealer and I like the way it looks but I am just not sure about the interior.

I did have my reservations about the 45 series of AMGs but they are growning on me, I wouldn't choose the CLA though as I dont think the car is big enough for the shape.

But I am looking forward to driving the new C63 replacement when it comes out.

16. Vazza

Vazza Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A45 AMG, E350 Coupe
    It looks better with the Hamana bodykit (don't like how low it is) but still think the proportions of the car are weird.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. moff

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    Its the rear of the CLA I really don't like...

On the gearbox, I would strongly advise driving it hard and downshifting from high revs on braking. IIRC there is no software update for the gearbox. Its unacceptable for a new car and is a well known common issue.

I wanted to like the CLA as it was the likely replacement for my C63 until the new C63 has been out for 12-18 months and the high PCP / Lease costs reduce.

I am looking to drive a M235i very soon as I really like it too. Add to it the BMW Performance Exhaust and JB4+ plug-in and you have a really weapon (380-400bhp) and 200-300kg lighter than the C63.

I really like the interior, the disappointment for me is that the the 19" wheel option is just shy of £4k as you have to buy a new set of wheels/tyres which is a joke.

I really like the new S3 saloon too, but would prefer the RS3 saloon if they do it as would prefer not to have a 4 pot.

Having said that the new Golf R400 looks mental with 397bhp as stock and a 0-62 of 3.7 secs :D

18. MarriedBlonde

Car:
    I really like the Golf R, the r400 will just be amazing if they make it. I just can't get my head round spending £40k+ on a golf with a few options, I would want DSG, leather and Nav will be options etc.

J.

19. moff

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    I think from what I have read alcantara will be standard as will DSG which just leaves sat nav and upgraded audio for me.

The R400 will be a limited run so high sale price will be offset by excellent residuals (in my opinion).

I will buy one in a flash!

20. MarriedBlonde

Car:
    Time will tell. Not convinced myself. But lets face it we are never going to make money on these cars we buy so I guess there is no real problem

J.