Speedometer display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gklau

Car
C180K Avantagarde SE
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to change the digital speedometer display from kph to mph on a c-class W203?

I have tried to adjust the settings in the menu to display mph, but it only affects the trip display.

On my CL I can only change it at a standstill, by navigating through the menu and using the up and down keys on the steering wheel. I have the engine running but the car in 'P'.

Hope this helps!

:( Tried, but it still doesn't work! :(

I tried to change it from the 'settings' menu and the 'instrument cluster' submenu. I changed the 'display values in' miles, but it still shows my current speed in km/h in the bottom left hand corner

Help!:confused:

Is there a country setting somewhere in there? The menu on your's is different to the menu on mine - think we need input from fellow C-Class owners!

Mine too , its annoying , but i think we are stuck with it.

The dash display menu's were changed on the 52 facelift of the W203.

I had two older W203's to drive about in and where the K/ph is on there was the temp display instead of messing about going into sub menus as it is on mine.

Im at the Dealer AGAIN !! :rolleyes: tomorrow , ill check when im in getting my windscreen fixed tomorrow :rolleyes:

Hey Jason,

I was reading on mbworld.org that it depends on the regional setting of the car's computer and it can be changed by a service technician.

So.... if your at the dealer tomorrow, see what they about changing the regional settings...although they may have no clue what you're talking about!

Gary

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but my CLK has a digital speedo on it's own where the speed is shown in large digits in the centre in either mph or kph and a small digital display in kph in small digits at the bottom of other displays. If it is the latter, I believe it is a requirement of UK cars that they display both mph and kph and as the main analogue display only shows mph (unlike most other makes where both scales are present) then this small display is required to read in kph. On euro versions of the car, according to my manual, you can substitute an OT reading for this small speed display but this is not poss on a UK car for the above reason.

If I'm completely wrong and talking about something different then I'll get my coat :D

Cheers
Andy

Argh!!

Just reading my c-class manual and it states that you can change the speedometer reading the left corner into temperature, except in the UK, where the speed is always displayed in km/h.

I guess I answered my own question...

Jason,

Any update on changing the speedo to mph?

No, sorry dude , i didnt see a technician and spent most of the time there talking to the one of dads friends and drinking espresso. Im going back next week to get my seal fitted , will ask then.

Originally posted by gklau
Jason,

Any update on changing the speedo to mph?

Mine works with Centigrade,Farenheight,MPH or KPH.
This is how I set mine:
1.Got to Settings using Up/Down arrows on left side of steering wheel.
2.Highlight "Instrument Cluster"
3.Press up arrow until "Display Values" is hightlighted
4.Use +/- buttons to highlight Miles or Kilometers
5.Press Up arrow until "Select Display" appears
6.Use +/- buttons to highlight "Speed Display" or "Outside Temp"
Thats it.
:) :)
Hope it works for you.

I don't think that is the display he was talking about, changing that one is easy but changing the small km/h display on UK speedos is not possible for the reasons I outlined above

Cheers
Andy

Hey mw_C32,

I assume you own a c32 AMG. Are you really allowed to change the display from outside temperature to speedo? I don't have that 'select display' option.

All I have is 'instrument cluster' 'lighting' and 'vehicle' options on my settings screen

After the 'display values' screen, it displays a 'language select' option!

Thanks anyways...

Gary.
Yes I have a C32 and can change outside temp to speedo option. Strange that, as I thought all C-Class have the same instrument cluster although I have AMG written across the middle on mine. I'll have a quick look.

Ok checked it out. Look up to page 135 on owners manual and you will see (if your manual is the same as mine) that in item 9 "Select Display" refers to note 3 at bottom of page and all will be clear. So Aswall is correct in that you cant change this setting, however I have this option on mine.
Regards M.

Are you sure you don't mean the display where you have the digital display in large digits in the centre which can be exchanged with OT by pressing the arrow buttons on the steering wheel? Both my CLK and my next door neighbours C class are changeable for mph/kph or cent/fahr no problem, but not the other digital speedo which wasn't. I spoke to an ex-Merc technician who still does freelance work for them who told me that the small km/h display that is visible when the other displays are shown should be fixed and unchangeable on any UK car

If you've found you can change this then I'm baffled

Andy

Aswall,
Yes I do mean the small display which is visible when the other displays are shown. I can change it to show mph/kph or cent/fahr no problem. In actual fact my missus wants it set to centigrade so she can see how warm it is outside (Obsesed by the weather she is) whilst the main display shows trip computer.
Nice looking CLK by the way, always fancied one ended up getting a C70 T5 due to cost but now happy with C32 due to family and my choice. (C70 wasn't).

M.

Last edited:
Wonder if they use an international cluster for the AMG models.

Off topic -
Yes I like the CLK, especially with all the sunshine we've had. Not very practical admittedly but I'm divorced with one daughter who stays part the week with me. Tried to justify a 2 seater but although I could get away it for taking girlfriend and making other people take their cars if bigger groups, I need to be a teenager taxi as well.

Miss having a bit of oomph though, it's a bit s-l-o-w, not a problem you have I imagine :D

Cheers
Andy

I wanted to change the small display on mine from km/h to temp, and the hand book read as though you can but I couldn't find a way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom