Spelling, grammar and punctuation

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by flango, Dec 27, 2014.

1. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Just thought I would share this one with you, last night I was relaying my story of getting flamed on here for poor punctuation and grammar to my daughters Psychologist friends. Now its not that I don't know how to use the English language (I have a Degree and Masters). With me its more of a can't be ar*sed thing, it's a forum not a formal business communication so who cares if the English is not perfectly correct? Well it would seem plenty do.

Apparently it is well recognised in psychological circles that people who struggle to put words and sentences into context when they do not have the correct punctuation, bad grammar or incorrect spelling have usually had impaired cognitive development in their early years. The human brain grows to 80% of its size within the first 2 years of your life. Your life in these years determines your cognitive development, so things like poor diet, environmental deprivation and parental attention can impair cognitive development.

Someone who has developed fully cognitively doesn't care if the words are spelt correctly, if the grammar is correct or if there is any punctuation, they can immediately set the words and sentences in context and understand it.

I was pointed to the paragraph below (which you have probably seen before) which is taught in Psychology, if you can read this without faltering, re-reading or stopping to think your cognitive development was good. If you can do this and you still have a problem with grammar and punctuation then you are one of life's moaners who need to get a life :D

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae the rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe aaznmig huh yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! see if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    5 people like this.
  2. Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    You missed out a full stop at the end.

:) :) :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Minz

Minz Active Member

Car:
    S204 C220 AMG Sport Plus Estate
    cuold'nt of put it bettre myslef.

4. Giantvanman

Giantvanman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    Even more amazing (granted, I am easily amazed) than my son being able to read that, so could I!
    A counter argument would be that there are more than sufficient number of people who do not have the cognitive function to be able to do this and it is that is why a long standing, recognised, standard set of rules are useful……………just a shame they don't teach them in schools (I speak for myself- secondary modern/comprehensive with a hint of college).

5. Harrythedog

Harrythedog MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 250 Sport Premium+
    Whilst I know nothing of Psychology I was always taught that it was bad manners to write using incorrect grammar

6. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Each time, I've seen that, the only word I've had to re-read is "aulaclty". Gets me every time - maybe because it looks so much like audacity!!??

7. OP
    OP
    flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    In a formal situation I would agree, but replying to a forum post on a smartphone?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

8. Richiebuoy

Richiebuoy Member

Car:
    MB CLK 350
    We're all good at somethings and bad at others, some maybe great at spelling/grammar/punctuation but couldn't change a brake pad to save their lives, but of course that's hidden on forum. So I think that its those that trash other folks spelling/grammar/punctuation are the ones who have issues.

Of course some people have learning difficulties, dyslexia, deprived child hoods or long term illness as a child and many other things that will and still do hold them back from writing the perfect post on a forum. Its just wrong to berate these people so as far as I'm concerned, the spelling police should hang their heads in shame.

4 people like this.
  9. Harrythedog

Harrythedog MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 250 Sport Premium+
    I see your point entirely but the realms of bad grammar etc have been knocked out of the ball park over the last decade or so to the extent some people think "text speak" is the only form of written communication and couldn't for the life of them be able to write a reasonably literate sentence in English.
    There has been the odd few posts on here where the question is basically unreadable due to this text prose.

By the way this thread is screaming for you-know-who

1 person likes this.
  10. w124nut

w124nut Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes W124 E320 cabriolet
    I don't think that one should trash another's bad grammar or spelling, in my opinion, that is just plain rude. However as written communication on this forum is also a reflection on oneself, perhaps the use of spell-check etc should be employed if there is doubt.

11. Giantvanman

Giantvanman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    Poor or incorrect grammar and spelling during an exchange is entirely different to requiring the people from whom you are seeking help to decipher or discern the question. If someone needs help, they could at least ask for it in a legible fashion and to do otherwise is rude. Such requests should therefor never be in text speak. JMO.

1 person likes this.
  12. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Odd how when I go to a GTG in which ever part of the country they are held. No one tries to correct my "Lanky Dialect" face to face, or tells me off for missing out the odd full stop or comma. Or dropping an "aitch or six. So why should anyone be ****d commenting on my spelling or grammar on the written forum. If I want an edukatshun Ill knob off to a different forum. But I dont so i sharnt.

If you are entitled to wear and carry the shield well done. But put it away I for one dont want to see it.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  13. Minz

Minz Active Member

Car:
    Con tha tell mi wheer a con buy one o them theer shields frum owd lad?

14. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Far to often we see on here people who feel they are losing an argument resort to picking holes in the grammar and or spelling of the person who is clearly gaining the upper hand.

That to me, always feels like a cheap shot. It's rather like attempting to change the subject when confronted with what we do not want to hear.

Regrettably (in my opinion) we also see this when the posters native language is not English. We then see the reaction akin to those who believe to have their native English tongue understood they simply need to repeat in a louder fashion.

15. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Nabutt they're ont tinternet.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    2 people like this.
  16. Jane270ML

Jane270ML Active Member

Car:
    ML 270 Cdi
    There's something very wrong in the above statement - every reference to the human singularity (I) is spelt correctly!

That's todays education system for you - or should there be an apostrophe in the 2nd word!

17. Minz

Minz Active Member

Car:
    Who cares, you're female. Sit back and wait for the dozen replies. Ooops, sorry, wrong thread. :D

18. Nasco12

Nasco12 Active Member

Car:
    W202 C240 1999 Green; Previous: W202 C200
    English spelling is stupid. It takes a perfectly good set of symbol-sound relationships e.g. cat, dog and then messes them up e.g. tough, buoy, chaos. Then so-called "bad" spellers come along, re-introduce some consistency and get criticised.

1 person likes this.
  19. developer

developer MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    I try to speak, write and spell correctly, every time, regardless of where or when.

Anything else doesn't feel right to me, and I can't help but correct any errors I spot.

3 people like this.
  20. Minz

Minz Active Member

Car:

They're, their, there, try not to take it so hard. :D