Spelling, grammar and punctuation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The psychology view of that is exactly the reverse

People who read text and then think to themselves the grammar and punctuation in that was not very good are generally of higher IQ than those that read the text and feel the need to comment about it and berate the writer.

I notice the standard every time, but usually bite my lip (typing finger?) and, as a matter of courtesy, refrain from commenting unless I feel there is a point to be made; I rarely berate the writer, unless he or she seems to be lauding ignorance.

I scored fifteen in the test, too. I'm no longer in the first flush of youth, I know how to spell and punctuate, and I make few grammatical errors - and those last are usually deliberate, for emphasis or as a matter of style. Those who know how to get it right, usually do so, but in the end, so long as the message is understood the medium is of less importance.

That's it, innit.

13 out of 15, hence the perpetual prodding of a cricket bat in the kidneys from the English teacher

42/30... Grammar great, math could be better!!!

My education was circa 1961 - 1965 at a Secondary Modern school. And 1955 through to 61 at primary school.

What I really missed (I think) were(was?) truly inspirational teachers at primary level. That gave you the gift of wanting to learn and very rarely was praise given. All praise now to modern teachers who know how to use positive reinforcement as an important learning tool. My Mum and Dad tried their best for me with their own extra homework for me - especially spelling. That worked to an extent but I just could not wait to leave school and get on with life. Spelling for me is always a bit Eric Morecambe - I get all the right letters but not necessarily in the right order. Touch of dyslexia I guess too but nothing to write home about and certainly not to hide behind.

13 out of 15 for me which I'm actually quite pleased with ,hope camerrafodder looks in on this topic as I think his got the biggest shield out of the lot of the gramma police lol (text speak as well)

How about using the text below for an exercise? Ignoring the many punctuation mistakes, the two major examples of clumsy syntax surely illustrate why it is important to write with care:

Just thought I would share this one with you, last night I was relaying my story of getting flamed on here for poor punctuation and grammar to my daughters Psychologist friends. Now its not that I don't know how to use the English language (I have a Degree and Masters). With me its more of a can't be ar*sed thing, it's a forum not a formal business communication so who cares if the English is not perfectly correct? Well it would seem plenty do.

Apparently it is well recognised in psychological circles that people who struggle to put words and sentences into context when they do not have the correct punctuation, bad grammar or incorrect spelling have usually had impaired cognitive development in their early years. The human brain grows to 80% of its size within the first 2 years of your life. Your life in these years determines your cognitive development, so things like poor diet, environmental deprivation and parental attention can impair cognitive development.

Someone who has developed fully cognitively doesn't care if the words are spelt correctly, if the grammar is correct or if there is any punctuation, they can immediately set the words and sentences in context and understand it.

I was pointed to the paragraph below (which you have probably seen before) which is taught in Psychology, if you can read this without faltering, re-reading or stopping to think your cognitive development was good. If you can do this and you still have a problem with grammar and punctuation then you are one of life's moaners who need to get a life :D

I managed 15 ... pleasantly surprised as I only studied English to 'O' level and that was nearly 40 years ago.

Edit: Mrs BTB got 14, and she's German :)

Yes, but I'm a Brummie - over 5 would be good :cool:.

What is the singular of 'dice'? Die !
What is the plural of 'Syllabus'? syllabi !
Is 'revert back' correct? Y
Is it companies or company's or companys'? Companies
Can one say: "At this moment in time"? Y
Can you start a sentence with 'and'? Not in a politically correct World
Can you put a comma before 'but'? put it where you like, always breaks things up :)

It is all three depending upon context.

Thanks for that John, heres what I got, now thats really going to p*ss on someone's parade

5482567216136192_zps49be673e.png

Not as much as the two missing apostrophes!

Yes, but I'm a Brummie - over 5 would be good :cool:.

LOL yes probably more foreign that she is :D

Speaking of which ... she's managed to pick up Glaswegian reasonably well thanks to a friend we see twice a week, but the Geordie accent still completely defeats her!

prprandall51 said:
How about using the text below for an exercise? Ignoring the many punctuation mistakes, the two major examples of clumsy syntax surely illustrate why it is important to write with care:

15/15 when it matters I'm bang on the money, when it doesn't I couldn't give a flying feck

Gents... the 'test' always comes back with a score of between 13 and 15, regardless of your answers.

The psychology view of that is exactly the reverse

People who read text and then think to themselves the grammar and punctuation in that was not very good are generally of higher IQ than those that read the text and feel the need to comment about it and berate the writer.

Psychology is mainly mumbo-jumbo with a large helping of pseudo-science though...

balge said:
Psychology is mainly mumbo-jumbo with a large helping of pseudo-science though...

That may be your opinion but opinions vary. All the psychologists I've met are well educated practical down to earth people with a total grasp on reality

But opinions vary, that's life

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom