Spent the day refurbishing my alloys wheels it took me 8 hours and my fingers hurt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't see your pictures, how are you loading them?

Looks good. I have got the kit to do it, just finding time is an issue. Hope to do it soon and all the other little jobs pending.

This forum has deffo brought a new meaning to cleaning a car and I hope to do it the '8 hour' way soon.

Have a good week

Ian

WOW what a finish deffinatly better then before, You really are a very talented guy you can do all sorts and you have achieved alot within the first week or two since having bought the car. Good stuff:bannana:

I'm doing that, what I mean is I can't see them in your other thread.

I have copied the post from the member's gallery section to here should work as it does for me:

Spent the day refurbishing my alloys. To do the 4 its taken me around 8 hours
frown.gif

Glad I did it now but I think next time if funds allow get them professionally refurbed

I took each wheel off one by one

Sprayed a very strong alloy wheel cleaner to get the bake dust off the photo below is after I had cleaned them. Then I sanded them down. Then I did a coat of primer, then a few coats of paint and a few coats of Laquer and tryed to mask off the tyres as best as I could but the masking tape I had was useless so I just scrubbed the tyres afterwards to remove the paint and then dressed the tyres with mothers(a brand name)tyre shine.

The alloy wheel cleaner did a very good job as the holes were caked with brake dust that would not budge after several washes

Nice work, it is a pig to get the masking tape to stick on rubber tyres, I use a half round piece of cardboard and move it round as I go, as you say thought a thinners soaked rag soon wipes it off.

Looks good. :)

Still the pics won't automatically open and I can't see the links. It must be something to do with teh imageshak hosting as I can only see the pics if I go to edit the quote the post and copy the image links into the browser.

Any chance you can post your pictures as links only unless someone has a way to resolve this.

TIA

p.s. The wheels look loads better.

Still the pics won't automatically open and I can't see the links. It must be something to do with teh imageshak hosting as I can only see the pics if I go to edit the quote the post and copy the image links into the browser.

Any chance you can post your pictures as links only unless someone has a way to resolve this.

TIA

p.s. The wheels look loads better.

Im seeing all the pictures ok.

Nice work, it is a pig to get the masking tape to stick on rubber tyres, I use a half round piece of cardboard and move it round as I go, as you say thought a thinners soaked rag soon wipes it off.

Looks good. :)

HaHa

I thought it was my cheap masking tape!
In the end I just let the paint go on the tyres and then I scrubbed it off with washing up liquid and a washing up sponge

HaHa

I thought it was my cheap masking tape!
In the end I just let the paint go on the tyres and then I scrubbed it off with washing up liquid and a washing up sponge

I have tried every type of tape made in the world today,, and the only thing that sticks to them is mud and instant glue, not much use really.

It looks good though and you must be pleased with the result.

You've done a great job there.Its looks like new wheel now.Next thing is to get rid of those lead balancing weights off the rims and put proper ones on,then you shouldn't get anymore corrosion on the lip again.Funny about the masking tape not sticking,the stuff I used stuck to the tyre really well.

You've done a great job there.Its looks like new wheel now.Next thing is to get rid of those lead balancing weights off the rims and put proper ones on.

If your going to take off the weights what would be the point in buying new ones, there only needed for a wheel balance if your gonna take them off just leave them in the spare tyre space on in the toolkit

You've done a great job there.Its looks like new wheel now.Next thing is to get rid of those lead balancing weights off the rims and put proper ones on,then you shouldn't get anymore corrosion on the lip again.Funny about the masking tape not sticking,the stuff I used stuck to the tyre really well.

What masking tape did you use ? Mine was useless

Could I ask what paint you used and where did you get it from?

Me too, that's an awesome result and i'd like to give mine a go :)

Sanding them sounds a bit scary though! What's this about removing the lead weights. I have them and hate the look, surely if they come off then the wheel will then be out of balance?!?

What masking tape did you use ? Mine was useless

It was aquired through work ;) Most of the stuff we have is 3M so Im assuming its made by them.

Edit. Just found the roll.Its made by Tesa AG. Made in Germany

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom