Spider cracks in gel coat of skirt.

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Fivehunnit, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Fivehunnit

Fivehunnit Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG (W219)
    Noticed a few very fine cracks in one of my fiberglass skirts on my 209, could these be cleaned out with thinners (scored with a Stanley knife?) and filled with touch up paint, then sanded down and compounded after a few days, or is that just too easy to be true?

2. cliveBRABUS

cliveBRABUS Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 55 BRABUS
    Too easy

3. OP
    OP
    Fivehunnit

Car:
    CLS63 AMG (W219)
    What would it entail?

4. Trickythemerc

Trickythemerc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
    Are you sure they are not some sort of polymer plastic rather than fiberglass..? A good body shop would be the place to go,what has caused the cracks in the first place.

5. OP
    OP
    Fivehunnit

Car:
    CLS63 AMG (W219)
    Definitely fiberglass I had the body kit fitted about 6-7 months ago, the cracks are probably from people banging their feet on it.

6. notsofast

notsofast Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS320Cdi
    As mentioned above, it is important to verify the material. The original sill covers on my 2007 car are injection moulded ABS plastic.
    If yours are aftermarket fibreglass parts then it would be likely that they have been painted and it could be the crazing you see is in the paint?.
    The conventional repair for crazed gel coat with unpainted (self coloured gel coat) fibreglass is to sand out the spider cracks then repair with additional resin. This is normal for boat owners but it would be very difficult to make an invisible repair this way on a car panel but a skim of filler over the repair before painting the sill would work.
    The correct solvent for fibreglass is Acetone but go carefully as it is possible to soften the lay up resin.