Spiders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that the general instinct of spiders, like most creatures, is to get away from humans and most reports of humans being bitten are when they poke hands, fingers etc into places where the spider may be.

Friends used to live in Queensland and they were told upon arrival of the things to watch out for in the garden, i.e. do not disturb piles of leaves or rocks with your hands etc.

We have one rather aggressive spider currently in residence in the futility room, I assume she has a nest in one of the cupboards as she runs to the front and rears up every time the door is opened, it does not bother me of course because I have no reason to find washing liquid, fabric softener or dishwasher tablets :)

Its the only way to be sure...

flame-thrower-o.gif

A mate of mine used to live I Australia and said it was nothing unusual to see spiders as big as saucers walking across the wall.
Not sure whether they were poisonous or not, he's still here so probably not.

See post #6.
Probably a Huntsman

I stopped killing them a long time ago as they do sterling work catching manky things which are not required.

Always remember once almost dropping off the sleep and hearing a thud on the carpet. Similar if you dropped a pencil on carpet.

Wondered what the hell it was so turned on my torch only to find a massive house spider on the floor just in front of the open window - also with a fat ass and huge legs.

Then a couple of weeks later the same thing happened again. I can't remember if I killed them at this stage or whether this was the same one coming back in.

One of our cats usually kills them but doesn't apparently eat them - you find a spider in a "I've given up" pose with curled up legs and motionless.

I had a huge spider in the house once..i couldn't even put a pint glass over it to remove it,so I fetched some 4in waste pipe...I put the pipe over it and before I realised I couldn't reach the newspaper to put over the end the thing shot out at me:crazy:

Thankfully I managed th drop the thing at the same time screaming like a girl:(

When I eventually found it I just hit it with a shoe:D

Took me a few seconds to work that ^^^ out - only because of the apparent 4 legs did I look deeper!

Wondered what the hell it was so turned on my torch only to find a massive house spider on the floor just in front of the open window - also with a fat ass and huge legs.

Are you sure it wasn't Maureen from over the road ?

"The pupils placed the eight-legged creatures in boxes with conkers and stones - and noted that most of them climbed over the conkers. Spiders were also placed in a water tank with a choice of escaping across a bridge made of wood or conkers - and most chose the conker route"

Sticks and stones it is then, from now on.

I can't stand spiders. They scare the bejeesus out of me. I've got conkers in my house and my BMW (strangely, never seen a spider near the MB).

I have an elderly cat that eats only wooden pegs, or food that comes with a bar-code, so she's no good, and I live in a house with a cellar. Mrs TDE1 isn't afraid of them (spiders, or my conkers ;) , so its just me. Don't seem to get spiders in the house until the weather cools so had forgotten about them til now.

So thanks a bloody lot, Kianok :crazy::eek:

Last edited:
I used to live in Africa. Didn't get the big hairy spiders in the house though I did find a black widow spider in the swimming pool filter once. And a snake in the shed, but it was more scared of me that I was of it.....

The cat used to eat most of the stray insects, the worst of which were preying mantis, up to about 6" long. Get eaten, the the cat would vomit up bright green masticated mantis shreds. ugh.

One issue that didn't cross my mind until I saw this on FB the other day.

I think it's legit......

We have one rather aggressive spider currently in residence in the futility room, I assume she has a nest in one of the cupboards as she runs to the front and rears up every time the door is opened,
GULP!:eek:

Death is the only option.

The way I see it, It's you or the spider, simple.

Last edited:
I catch them and put them through my neighbours letterbox...because SHE is a dog and SHE lets her cat piss on my garden and SHE screams at the mention of spiders and I laugh when I hear HER scream. HaHaHa:devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom