spine chilling......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
was on my way home the other day, driving, unusually, as I am normally on 2 wheels.
Sat at the lights at Swiss Cottage on the Finchley Road (central london) when a group of two ladies and four kids are crossing the road going across me (ie the lights were red for me and green for the road this group was crossing).
The group reach the central island and one of the kids (about 5yrs old) runs out into the middle of the road and is missed by probably 6 inches by a car going across at approx 35-40mph.
Mum runs out screaming and grabs this girl and pulls her to safety.

So - no harm done but the little girl was within inches of very probable death.

Having a 4 and 6 year old myself, chills ran down my spine as I watched it happen and every time I think about it since.

I am always very strict with my kids when we are crossing roads (normally end up shouting at them) but the moral is you can never be too strict..........

Keep your kids safe.
Nick

I know it was a long time since I was a kid, but I grew up in the suburbs of Sarf Lunden where streets were pretty busy and I don't remember being allowed to cross a main road at that age without an adult holding my hand. Why don't parents seem to do that anymore? :dk:

My 10 month old is just finding his feet just now ( and staggering around the house holding on to things ) , but we already have a set of reins for him !

I witnessed a near fatality today in Saville Row, London. Girl wandered into road on her phone completely unaware of the taxi driving along. She didn't even look as she stepped off the pavement. It was one of those moment when I, and a few others who saw this happen all gasped at the same time.

Luckily, the taxi driver managed to swerve at the last second and missed her by literally a cenitmetre - or two at the most. A really heart stopping moment.

The taxi driver pulled up, looking really shocked. The girl just laughed and walked into an office building. I split second earlier, and the outcome could have been so different.

I witnessed a near fatality today in Saville Row, London. Girl wandered into road on her phone completely unaware of the taxi driving along. She didn't even look as she stepped off the pavement. It was one of those moment when I, and a few others who saw this happen all gasped at the same time.

Luckily, the taxi driver managed to swerve at the last second and missed her by literally a cenitmetre - or two at the most. A really heart stopping moment.

The taxi driver pulled up, looking really shocked. The girl just laughed and walked into an office building. I split second earlier, and the outcome could have been so different.

Saw a similar thing, but the woman got hit, happily for her, it was a bicycle, injuries to her and the rider were both trivial. Scary when you think what if, though.

I will never forget, shortly after passing my driving test (age 17) being on a suburban street, and as I was approaching a van spotting 'little' legs underneath it. As I came past a young boy just appeared. Fortunately because I had seen the legs I had already taken the speed off so stopped. If I had missed the legs, or they had been obscured I would not like to think about the consequences.

Girl wandered into road on her phone completely unaware of the taxi driving along. She didn't even look as she stepped off the pavement.

This , whilst it would have been sad if she'd have been squashed would have been natural selection at work ...

Anyone who is stupid/ignorant enough to step into a road while on a phone without even looking , i'm afraid gets what's coming to them.

That's the trouble with people these days , so wrapped up in their own little world , living oh such important lives , that they don't think what could happen to them

There's an interesting point here - to what extent could the pedestrian casualty figures be improved by pedestrian/child education, and what is the relative cost effectiveness v. traffic calming, speed cameras etc etc. The entire compliance effort on this area of risk is presently focused on the motorist - speed kills, kill your speed, not a child, etc. But of course if the child was trained/supervised to stay on the pavement/cross only where safe etc, there should also be a worthwhile improvement. I recall lots of road safety stuff from when I was a kid (from Tufty onwards, for those old enough to remember) - I can't think of any equivalent now...or am I just at work too many hours to see it?....

This is why we need to redesign the cars to be more pedestrian friendly...

Last edited:
These days people are so much more distracted by their pocket internet, telecoms social networking, devices and disillusioned by crazy media stunts that they probably think that if they get hit by a car, tumble over its bonnet, and hit the windscreen that they'll just brush themselves down and walk away as that's what always happens in the movies...

This , whilst it would have been sad if she'd have been squashed would have been natural selection at work ...

Anyone who is stupid/ignorant enough to step into a road while on a phone without even looking , i'm afraid gets what's coming to them.

That's the trouble with people these days , so wrapped up in their own little world , living oh such important lives , that they don't think what could happen to them
Whilst I am so tempted to agree with you I cannot help but think about the victims

By victims I mean the family of the deceased...Yes the parents MUST bare responsibility and I think the original post was about a young chlld? To allow ayoung child free reign to run out onto a busy road beggars belief, but think of the devastation.. The parent witnessing the death... The partner being phoned at work to say their child has just been killed!!!! The parent that was responsible will have to live with what they have done for the rst of their lives... The other parent plus grand-parents might blame that person and it might causedivorce or even suicides?

Then e have the innocent driver..

I have seen a child smash onto the bonnet of a car and then be thrown back onto the road.. I have cradled the child whilst brain fluid ouzed fromits ears.. It is not nice... The driver of the car went into deep and severe shock... so please understand that I do understand what you are saying but in the real world there are just too many casualties.

I wonder if the parent will blame the car driver and if the child got injured then would the parent try sueing the car owner? :devil:;)

If a pedestrian ( not the young child mentioned above ) steps into the path of an oncoming vehicle due to their own negligence then the law calls this contributory negligence. The parent who had not taken reasonable steps to protect the child would find it difficult to sue unless other factors ( excess speed etc ) could be proven. ( IMO).

If a pedestrian ( not the young child mentioned above ) steps into the path of an oncoming vehicle due to their own negligence then the law calls this contributory negligence. The parent who had not taken reasonable steps to protect the child would find it difficult to sue unless other factors ( excess speed etc ) could be proven. ( IMO).
It was a tongue in cheek remark...

I live on the coast... Every year we see children either dying or being paralysed for life because they enjoy 'tombstoning' They jump from high ground into the sea and sometimes they cannot see the sea:devil::wallbash: They do see rocks though.

On our local news you will see coastguards advising these children of the dangers but all they get is abuse... When an incident happens...As it ALWAYS does... Then we see the parents on televisin saying how negligent
the council is for not fencing off all the cliff edges!!!

In February of this year we sadly had a father and son drown whilst attempting toswim in rough seas!! FEBRUARY!!!!!!!! The next of kin complaineed that there were not enough signs to say there were no lifeguards present!!!!!!

We live in a blame culture where no one will accept independant responsibility and how dare we suggest parents should be held reponsible for children that want to run out into the road!!:devil::D

For some reason when i'm driving i seem to attract suicidal and kamikaze pedestrians - they come in all shapes /sizes/colours/ages - the only thing they have in common is their blinding idioacy

This is why we need to redesign the cars to be more pedestrian friendly...

Or redesign the pedestrians to be vaguely intelligent........

I think any motorist should have to deliver a death message before they are allowed out on the roads - knock on an unknown door, not knowing who would answer and tell them that the man of the house has been knocked down and killed.
The person delivering the message should be briefed that it was due to the man not looking before crossing and the driver was probably only doing 30 to 35 mph.
And a 5 year old should answer the door, followed by her mummy.

Its pretty sobering and gives some perspective about the important things in life.

:dk:

I was 3rd on scene of a collision where a 21 yr old driver was trapped in his car.
I held his hand and we talked (though he was in great pain from his trapped legs) for half an hour or so - whilst we waited for the Cops, then Fire & Rescue to arrive (less than 10 mins) and Ambulance too.
We talked about all manner of things - slightly bizzare circs, but he was a nice enough lad.
He lost consiousness and died as I stood there, holding his hand, trapped in the drivers seat.

I attended a particularly unpleasant one a couple of weeks ago : one young man died instantly ; his friend was trapped in the burning car by his foot , which the paramedics amputated to get him out before he burned to death - sadly , he was dead on arrival to hospital . A tragic waste of life and I can only imagine how the families will be feeling .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom