Spinners .. are they illegal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
I have a mate who has spinners on his wheels.

He has been summoned for breach of

"regulation 100(1) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988"

because his car had

"wheels were fitted with a 5 spoked weighted device which was attached to the wheel at the center and was capable of revolving independently of the wheel, If a small child were to put their hand on the wheel when the device was spinning. They would be likely to suffer injury that danger was caused or was likely to be caused to any person in or on it or on a road"

If this is correct, spinners are illegal. Anyone know what the position is?

Apart from the fact that small children are highly unlikely to be on a road where cars are driving through with their spinners spinning, this looks to me like plod has not got enough to do.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

I reckon the taste Police will have something to say about spinners whatever the legal position!

So what about all these plastic shocking imitations? They should be banned too, they are pure pants!!:devil:

Sorry I don't know the answer....:eek:

I have a feeling they are legal but should be made illegal ASAP for reasons of taste if nothing else.

Its a untried legal position within the UK. I havent yet heard of a successful prosecution but there is always a first time.
New York is currently passing legislation to make spinners illegal, and if passed will set a precident for the rest of the USA. And usually what goes over there, eventually comes over here. So while the current situation is that they ARE legal, that doesnt mean your friend will escape a fine.
See here for more details....
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/focus-zx3-spinner.jpg&imgrefurl=http://news.windingroad.com/aftermarket/new-york-state-bill-would-ban-spinners/&h=180&w=250&sz=14&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=1ZH0XjtnnUWG7M:&tbnh=80&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dare%2Bspinners%2Blegal%253F%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Last edited:
Maybe children should be taught that:

1. Cars are dangerous
2. Spinning things are dangerous

I think that pretty much covers it. Spinners are ugly, but if I'd just been ticked off by the police for having them I'd probably be popping back to the shop they came from for a quick chat.

Last edited:
Apart from the fact that small children are highly unlikely to be on a road where cars are driving through with their spinners spinning
Don't they keep spinning after the car has stopped?

But sounds to me like he rubbed someone up the wrong way ...

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

That was possibly the wrong thing to say :D

I can't help you on the legal front but it does seem a little OTT, of course lots of people point and laugh at cars with spinners but I doubt their fingers would ever get close enough to cause a danger.

It's other motorists being blinded by tears of laughter that is the real danger :D

Sorry, I could help it :devil:

I think it's the PC bullying my mate, or the PC is just jealous (not sure of what).

My mate has a Cadillac Escalade (yes, it's a lorry disguised as a 4x4), and is a quiet and humble Japanese guy.

It just seems totally OTT.

It's one of those woolly areas as verytalldave says. The quoted sections talk of accessories that may or is likely to cause injury to pedestrians or other road users.

It would appear to be harsh - I'll avoid any comment from the taste perspective...

He might be...........

Last edited:
My mate has a Cadillac Escalade (yes, it's a lorry disguised as a 4x4), and is a quiet and humble Japanese guy.

It just seems totally OTT.

Well that explains it then...a small child could walk right through the wheels of an Escalade!

Or a child might mistake the wheel for a fair ground ride and try to get on!

Yes OTT . just like traffic coppers in X5 bmw and range rovers vougue.
What do they need those cars for?

This is just another example of the law gone mad!

They will be banning us from having a three pointed star on our bonnets next incase you hit a pedestrian and it impales their torso.

Ive heard before that if there are sharp or pointed edges on your car it can fail MOT because of a risk to people walking past etc. i know of one fella had to remove a spoiler on the rear of his car because it was deemed a health and safety of the public risk, heres a picture i dont think its dangerous....(tongue in cheek)

Attachments

• WhiteMerc.jpg
    WhiteMerc.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 184
Yes OTT . just like traffic coppers in X5 bmw and range rovers vougue.
What do they need those cars for?

Pulling jack-knifed artics off the carriageway to keep the Motorway open.

I would never even consider an ex-Police 4x4 for that reason alone. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom