Spinning bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
You may have seen my thread in the general section regarding a elongation of the hole in the subframe where the front control arm bolts on.

This has now been welded and seems fine

When the bolt was placed back in the mechanic said it just span round and wouldn't tighten. He showed me it happening

Isnt this just cause he wasn't holding the bolt and only turning the nut? Or am I losing the plot?

Sorry for asking so many questions and thank you in advance for any help.

This pic show what I think he should have been doing ... but he only had a wrench on the nut side? :confused:

Attachments

• w211_e320_e500_front_control_arm_diy_74.jpg
    w211_e320_e500_front_control_arm_diy_74.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 37
Did he mean the nut had hit the non threaded part of the bolt before tightening enough to stop it turning and clamping everything together?

Did he mean the nut had hit the non threaded part of the bolt before tightening enough to stop it turning and clamping everything together?

Im not 100% sure.... it was a new camber bolt he tried, like in the pic, so im assuming not?

He was only using a spanner on the nut side?

Attachments

• $_1.jpg
    $_1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 26
Looks like it's got some sort flat in the shank to stop the bolt spinning, maybe to stop the bolt twisting the rubber bush. If that is the case you wouldn't need to hold the bolt head. Hopefully someone with experience with these bit will chip in.

My understanding is that they used the camber adjustment bolt and allowed it to spin whilst fitting it. :fail
If that is correct then they have ruined the adjustment lugs in the control arm. :doh:
The lugs locate in that slot on the bolt and being made of alloy and are not meant to take the torque required to tighten the bolt.
All they do is allow a small amount of adjustment when the nut/bolt is slackened off to set the camber.

The bolt must be prevented from rotating whilst tightening the nut.

I would be chasing them for a new control arm bush and find someone that knows what they are doing.

My understanding is that they used the camber adjustment bolt and allowed it to spin whilst fitting it. :fail
If that is correct then they have ruined the adjustment lugs in the control arm. :doh:
The lugs locate in that slot on the bolt and being made of alloy and are not meant to take the torque required to tighten the bolt.
All they do is allow a small amount of adjustment when the nut/bolt is slackened off to set the camber.

The bolt must be prevented from rotating whilst tightening the nut.

I would be chasing them for a new control arm bush and find someone that knows what they are doing.

Thank you for that. It confirmed what I thought.

You're welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom