Spitfire event cancelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
This is off topic but I know many of you are, like me, Spitfire fans and take part in /watch the displays over the White Cliffs etc.

I need to pass on an urgent message to any of you who were intending to go Spitfire watching or (even flying with) this weekend. Sadly ALL the flights planned for Friday 4th, Saturday 5th, Sunday 6th and Monday 7th of May are cancelled due to the Airfield being water logged and not safe to fly from. This means the Spitfire flights/and displays over Capel Le Ferne will not happen this bank holiday.

All flights are now rescheduled to happen between Thursday 14th to Sunday 17th June. If you have a ticket then you need to contact Steve Burt at [email protected] in order to rebook your slot. If you were thinking of flying in June then you need to be quick as obviously there is much pressure on slots having lost 4 days flying.

If you were going to watch from the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel Le Ferne then sadly there will be no flying Spits this bank holiday.

For those who aren't involved and don't know what I'm on about. I took this photo on my flight last year:)

Last edited:
welcome back R2 we were wondering what happened to you

Hi,I'm fine and grateful to those of you who have enquired as to well being. I requalified to meet the new RDR rules last year and have taken 20 other examinations in order to be able to move my business from being an ifa to joining a leading wealth management group a few weeks ago. It has been a major upheaval, however, the dust is settling and both my clients and I are now seeing the rewards of my labors! I still have R2 and it's still going great. Kind regards to all!

On my way back from LTN yesterday afternoon I was lucky enough to catch a few aerobatic passes made by MH434 in front of a Squirrel camera helicopter over and around Bicester airfield. Quite a few cars parked up on the verges of the A4421 watching the impromptu display :thumb:

Excellent. There is nothing like a Spitfire in flight:)Any photos?

Good thing it didn't rain this much in the summer of 1940 or we wouldn't have been able to take off and fight the Battle of Britain!! :doh:

My grandfather (a Mitchell but not related to RJ) made the pattern for the first Spitfire propellor (two-blade wooden fixed-pitch) so I have more than a passing interest in that magnificent aircraft. Top of my bucket list is to fly in one.

Good thing it didn't rain this much in the summer of 1940 or we wouldn't have been able to take off and fight the Battle of Britain!! :doh:

My grandfather (a Mitchell but not related to RJ) made the pattern for the first Spitfire propellor (two-blade wooden fixed-pitch) so I have more than a passing interest in that magnificent aircraft. Top of my bucket list is to fly in one.

It was on my list as well and I researched it thoroughly. Unfortuately the CAA have stopped the 3 two seat Spitfires in the country taking fare paying passengers up. If you are Ewan McGregor or a friend of Carolyn Grace then you might get a go in the Grace Spitfire, otherwise its pay $6000 for 1/2 an hour in a Yellow Spit over an american desert:(

I flew with a Spitfire with these people:
Double Fighter Days | Fly with a Spitfire ©

It was one of the best days of my life. How close do you want to get to a Spitfire over the channel?

Think about where I am in the third photo :) :)

Last edited:
Excellent. There is nothing like a Spitfire in flight:)Any photos?
Sorry Greg, no piccies :(

I was unable to stop, but did open the windows so I could hear that gorgeous engine, which sounded very much like this:

[YOUTUBE]rnc78LW7V1U[/YOUTUBE]

:) :) :)

Seems s shame that the poor old hurricane gets a bit forgotten overshadowed by the glamour boy Spitfire. Painted this of hurricanes last year.

tangmereseptember1940.jpg

Could someone please tell me how to embed YouTube videos properly please?

Use the 'YouTube' button on the toolbar ... you have to put in just the 'id' of the video on YouTube (the end bit of the URL, not the whole thing).

That is a seriously low pass!
Ray Hanna was probably - no, make that definitely - the best Spitfire display pilot ever. Here's another classic clip of a Hanna low pass. So the story goes, the Director had filmed a couple of passes previously and had asked Hanna to go a bit lower... (Warning: there's fairly gratuitous use of the F-word by Alain de Cadenet at the end of the clip. Watch it and you'll see why :D ):

[YOUTUBE]hvDDDKnNhuE[/YOUTUBE]

Ray Hanna was probably - no, make that definitely - the best Spitfire display pilot ever

In modern times, I'd agree. If it comes to showing off the aircraft, I do think it would be a pretty close run thing between Ray Hanna and Jeffrey Quill (Supermarine test pilot). His descriptions when demonstrating and testing the aircraft during WW2 make me think he was pretty handy at the controls of the Spit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom