Spitfire flyover.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many moons ago, when they were doing the summer south coast displays, we had the Spitfire and Hurricane both fly almost down our Close, left wings dipped at around 500ft circling before going into Southampton airport (where leaded was still available)

Didn't have a camera on me, so I just enjoyed the sight and sound of both showing their bellies off.
Will take that memory to my grave

Also agree on Vulcan and visually the Harrier (strange to think the Yanks are still flying them)
But a Merlin wins engine Top Trump's!

I used to work on a military airfield and remember the last time a Lighting took-off from that runway. Pretty much everyone working the flight line that day were out watching as it roared down the concrete and then stood on its tail for a typically impressive vertical climb-out.

I also remember a very impressive F-15 take off from the same period.

The Spitfire however, is a real icon.

If you mean an English Electric lightning 0- 60,000ft in 3 minutes is pretty impressive. Very interesting over/under engine format and those swept wings look cool too. Not bad for a 1950s machine!

If you mean an English Electric lightning 0- 60,000ft in 3 minutes is pretty impressive. Very interesting over/under engine format and those swept wings look cool too. Not bad for a 1950s machine!
Yes, I do mean an English Electric Lighting, thanks for the clarification. I'd forgotten that the F-35 (?) is also referred to as a Lightning.

Saw more than an EE Lightning an air shows in the 70's. On one occasion, saw one take-off, do some manoeuvres on after-burner, then a low-level run just at the sound barrier, followed by a few more AB manoeuvres and then a very hasty landing. Needed refuelling just off the runway so it could taxi to its hardstanding area. Bloody nearly ran out of fuel... Very impressive though.

Over Mill Hill earlier and maybe on its way to Northolt. 8AFE3361-D393-4A3C-AFB8-3A4524CA163E.jpeg

Just don't look for a ride in it unless you've just had a decent win on the lottery - an hour will set you back £3-4k!!
An hour from Goodwood out and around the IOW with some aerobatics and a go on the controls is 5k, My Sister did it last month.

When she got back her face was broken for the rest of the day,massive smile.

They also have the round the world plane there

I have a RR Merlin piston as a side stand `foot` on one of my motorbicycles.....

IMG-0551.jpg

My wife was at the coast near Lee-on-the-Solent this week and saw the Spit flying out of Solent Airport.
I was at a motorbike doo recently near Headcorn, we had a free weekend-long flying display - all day - from the Spit, Harvard plus other stuff flying out of there all day. You can fly in the spit from there, too - about 3/4K i think..

A little story.
During the war a spitfire landed on the main road that runs at the side of our village. The female pilot had landed to have a cup of tea with her parents who owned a local farm. She had collected the Spitfire from somewhere in North Yorkshire and was delivering it the airfields in the south.
Whilst she was indulging in afternoon tea the local farmhands spun the Spitfire around and when she had said her goodbyes off she went.
Unfortunately she was killed a few days later.
Sad but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom