Split GPS Signal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I have decided that its high time that I tidy up my dashboard.

Rather than have two GPS blob's (excuse my technical terms), I want to split it, to give me two feeds, one to APS 30 Sat Nav and the other to my Origin B2.

I remember reading that this is possible, but can't find the post.

Will this split effect the quality of the signal?

Regards

Tan

I was thinking of doing this but I think you need a booster. When I recently fitted my GPS roof aerial I wired the aerial into a re-radiating GPS aerial, I mounted the re-radiating bit behind the cubby box under the radio. The TomTomGo now works anywhere within 1 metre of this aerial regardless if it can see the sky or not.

Oh you lot, I've just done exactly that, tested it out today in the S8 and it's perfect.

GPS splitter £20, some cables to convert SMB to FME and back £30 to make.

Tested it in my S8 today and it works a treat. So now I can connect up my B2 at last.

Craig

Last edited:
Hi Craig,

Do you have any pics and how easy is it to get the bits and to make it?

Tan

on my SL I just cut the gps antenna wire & soldered two leads to it 1 from the becker sat nav & 1 from my B2 . Both seem to work fine without any form of boosting.

I think you were lucky then Steve as some voltage is sent down the cable from the sat nav to the GPS receiver to power it and if you splice the 2 together you could cause problems, but maybe luck was on your side.

The splitter is available from Maplins for £20, the connectors and cable I got from RS components. I bought a 50m reel of thin RF cable to hook it all up for the SMB connectors and the FME connectors, stupid Maplin splitter thing has 3 FME connectors. So I bought several in line plugs and sockets to link it all together.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43686&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=27m2

The second output of the GPS splitter is passive and blocks the voltage from the secondary device.

Craig

I spoke with origin today, and they said that their antenna is not powered.

Does this mean it would not be any good for my Sat nav?

GPS splitter connectors

Could please somebody tell me what type of connectors fit the original MB splitter (see image below) and who sells them. :rolleyes: :D
Any help will be verry much appreciated :confused:

Attachments

• 1205425557229200454603PM.jpg
    1205425557229200454603PM.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 43
Does anyone know weather you can get a device which has sat-nav AND the camera detector thingy? (tells u if theres a camera around.
cheer in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom