Split in airmatic hose, repair tips anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
The ML went in to the indy today for a A service. All good except for I now have a split hose on the airline of the airmatic system.

Haven't long since replaced the second air compressor. It has been caused by one of the lines chaffing against something and has slight split, obviously now the compressor is working harder to compensate for this leak.

Indy advised there is a repair kit for such circumstances. Have contacted the dealer and waiting for a call back. I need this doing within the next few days I we have a camping trip to Cornwall planned (approx 400 miles drive for us) next week.

It appears pretty straight forward, cut out the offending/damaged section and renew using same tube/hose with straight union connectors.

If I tackle this myself, would it need re calibrating on Star?

Can I just use the same type/diameter of hose with connectors or any other suggestions? The repair kit comes in about 2foot lengths with couplings/unions attached which will create more work trying to route it, as I only need about 6" replacing.

Repair kit:

s-l1600.jpg

Could I use the same type of hose and something like these unions:

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Or something like this:

s-l1600.png

Make sure to get the correct Outside Diameter tube (OD) and keep everything clean and you should be ok, we use these joints all the time in plant maintenance.

Reactions: Abb
Thank you for the I input. Out of the two, which one would you suggest would be better for it’s use in the application I need.

I was swaying towards the black pushfit fitting ones.

I have been using push fit pneumatic connectors for years, as long as you use quality ones - Festo of SMC for example- mated to the correct diameter tube they are 100 OK . FYI they do not work on vacuum systems as they rely on air pressure for the seal to be good. Vacuum ones are available.

PPS. just cut it to length with a tube cutter or very sharp 'stanley' knife. Just make sure you cut it square and don't use side/wire cutters and you will be OK.

No need to recalibrate on star either. Don’t let the corner totally collapse using a jack and the airbag will not empty. Compressor should run post repair to re-pressurise.

I have been using push fit pneumatic connectors for years, as long as you use quality ones - Festo of SMC for example- mated to the correct diameter tube they are 100 OK . FYI they do not work on vacuum systems as they rely on air pressure for the seal to be good. Vacuum ones are available.

So am I right in saying the ones in my first pic will work, decent brand of course.

PPS. just cut it to length with a tube cutter or very sharp 'stanley' knife. Just make sure you cut it square and don't use side/wire cutters and you will be OK.

Luckily for me I have the tool that came with my last compressor, so square and near it will be!
Just spoke to MB, no tubing available at the min, and it’s a mere £15 per metre!!

Obviously they must use the same tubing to smoke the crack that they quite clearly are!

@Petrol Pete any recommendations for the pipe/tubing?

Haven’t measured it yet, but I think it’s 4mm.

I think it will be 4mm as it is in my GL. I would go from one pushfit union to the next MB fitting if possible as generally the less joints the better. As for MB parts pricing, I’m sure they use an old ERNIE machine. Although those F1 cars don’t pay for themselves I suppose.

Just to close this thread, I purchased and fitted a pneumatic push fit connector (4mm), identified the location of the leak by means of spraying it with soapy water and watching for bubbles, cut the pipe and fitted the connector.

The connector was £2.64!

I was quoted 1hr labour from my indy, £48 each for the required connectors, which I need 2 of, and a 1m length of tubing at £15!!:eek:
Not a bad saving, even if I do say so myself! :p

Obligatory pic:

IMG_3316.jpeg

To add to this thread a mate of mine had similar on his RR. RR wanted a arm, leg and kidney to fix. He ended up slipping a drink to the local mobile JCB / hydraulic bod who fixed it in his yard in about 20 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom