Splitview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi All,

Does anyone know what's required to pair a replacement headset and remote (official MB units) to a car with splitview please?

Many thanks,
shr

These use RF links and need to be paired with the Mercedes diagnostics tool.

Are you after the headset and remote for the front passenger? Be sure about the correct parts.

Yes I have the replacement sets.
Just need to code them to the car. Any idea on time scales and costs?

Are you after the headset and remote for the front passenger? Be sure about the correct parts.

According to EPC the part numbers for the front headphones and front remote are identical to those of the rear. Therefore they should all be interchangeable with each other.

These use RF links and need to be paired with the Mercedes diagnostics tool

This. I had mine done (albeit not split screen) as I needed a third set of headphones pairing to the rear screens. Couple of years ago and can't remember the cost, I do recall no one seeming to know how to do it though! :D

Try ringing your local stealer and see what they say regarding costs and timescales.

This. I had mine done (albeit not split screen) as I needed a third set of headphones pairing to the rear screens. Couple of years ago and can't remember the cost, I do recall no one seeming to know how to do it though! :D

Try ringing your local stealer and see what they say regarding costs and timescales.

My local stealer is not overly knowledgable on the subject. They say they can do it but want the car all day. They can't give me a cost as uncertain how long it will take.

I'm not prepared to let them have it on an open ended hourly rate at my expense.

My local stealer is not overly knowledgable on the subject. They say they can do it but want the car all day. They can't give me a cost as uncertain how long it will take.

I'm not prepared to let them have it on an open ended hourly rate at my expense.

According to EPC the part numbers for the front headphones and front remote are identical to those of the rear. Therefore they should all be interchangeable with each other.

I think it depends on the MY at least. Like part number A2228206189 is described as for the co-driver. Some other parts are for the front passenger, I wonder if anyone knows the difference. :)

Coding for the front passenger remote and headset should be straightforward. Within the head unit (diagnosis tool) menus you have two options, either search for "devices on the air" or read the ID from each device to be paired and enter with the diagnosis tool.

Thanks DB.
The other option is for me to update my STAR machine and do it myself. Mine only covers up to 2010 models.
I believe I read on the American forum that you did this yourself on one of your cars.
How long did it take?

Thanks DB.
The other option is for me to update my STAR machine and do it myself. Mine only covers up to 2010 models.
I believe I read on the American forum that you did this yourself on one of your cars.
How long did it take?

I don't have rear entertainment, I even do not have SplitView. I only retrofitted the (front passenger) remote (retrofitting consist of adding the antenna and pairing the remote). Pairing the remote took probably 10 to 15 minutes, most of the time from connecting the diagnosis tool and waiting to reach the COMAND control unit. Add 5 minutes to enter the ID of the headset too.

At the time I took care of the pairing, the diagnosis SW menus were somehow more straightforward. Honestly I do not remember if it was only simulation mode that did not have the pairing menus any more. For one that has never done the pairing it might be confusing if nothing can be found before actually working with the car. Then again, I doubt techs at the dealer ever practice the task in advance.

The workshop manager at my local stealership said he hasn't done one of these in years so couldn't remember the procedure.
That suggests he's probably not done it on a W222. Maybe he has on a W221 which I believe is a completely different procedure.

I realise that rear entertainment and splitview together are very rare in ther UK but surely a dealer can look into what is required and then quote the customer accordingly? Yes something along the lined of DAS sim (or the modern day equivalent)?

When you retrofitted the remote for the front passenger, what functionality did you get if the display wasn't changed to the splitview version? I suppose your front passenger could operate all the comand features but wouldn't that annoy the driver as operating the remote would most likely over ride what ever the driver had set comand to?

The dealer indeed has several ways to check in advance how complicated a task is. Perhaps they want to charge for that time too and if their memory is as short as mine, the cost would be similar either way (even if they had several similar tasks every now and then)? I would expect them to charge what they find necessary after completing the task. Their choice if they want to learn with the car of in advance (to recap what they have forgotten from training).

I did not gain much with the remote, mainly one more gadget that was easy to retrofit. It was more targeted for the rear passenger as I do not have RSE. Haven't spent a lot of time at the rear seat though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom