Splutter....hiccup.....off!

Discussion in 'Engine' started by punjabi, Aug 30, 2008.

1. punjabi

punjabi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    V230, 300TE
    After not driving the 300TE for a period of 4 days, I decided to take it for a spin to the local shops about a mile or so away, journey ok but them it started hesitating and having slight hiccups (like fuel starvation), I immediately turned around and headed back home when after a hundred yards it splutterd, a few hiccups and came to a stop. I tried restarting, engine turned fine but no start! This is the first time that it has behaved in this manner. Pushed it to a safe position beside the road and summoned the RAC who said they will oblige within the hour. After a frustrating 15 minute wait and fiddling with the mobile phone, I thought I would give it another go at starting, turned the ignition and hey presto! ..............it started without any problem and smooth as velvet! Drove it around for a while and headed home - absolutely no recurring signs or any problem, engine smooth as normal!?!

Any idea what may have caused the GLITCH? It is a 12V engine.

2. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    Has it had a service? Maybe the spark plugs need changing?

3. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Dizzy cap.

4. Smiley

Smiley Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Not really a good idea to go for "a spin of about 1 mile" - better to get everything warmed up - 10 to 12 miles is much better - even if it is every couple of weeks or once a month.

5. greyboy

greyboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E280 Sport saloon.
    Symptoms sound similar to my old 300TE. It was the dizzy cap. Cleaned the burnt contacts and rotor arm and that fixed it. I did fit a new cap though, when i could get to Eurocarparts. ;)

6. OP
    OP
    punjabi

punjabi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    V230, 300TE
    Although I have 'collected' the service parts (plugs, ignition leads, rotor, dizzy cap, oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant), I have been a bit lazy in carrying out the due service, as it had been driving very well indeed. Evidently, now the car has started crying out for due attention which it will receive next weekend! Thanks for the input all!