Sponsor my charity run please - Richmond Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Boys / Girls..

hope you all are keeping well..

I am not in the habit of begging, however today i come to you on my knees!

I have never ever been able to run.. never enjoyed it.. never thought i could even do it.. However on 20th July 2014, i set myself a 100 day challenge to start running, every single day, and be able to complete a 10k run.. with the aim to complete it in under an hour ..

my first training jog was on 20th July and looked something like this:

day1.jpg

pretty miserable if you ask me..

yesterday was day 71 and looked something like this:

day71.jpg

A nice improvement i hope you will agree

Overall, my stats look like this:
dayall.jpg

Basically, i have managed to train 300km so far.. im so happy

HOWEVER, and this is where i need your help!

granme.jpg

I have spent the past 2 months deciding which charity to support for this 10km run on 26th October 2014, and for my grand mother, aged 80, whom now is showing early signs of this syndrome and also being more than a mother to me, I feel this is the right charity to support.

Alzheimer’s Research UK is the UK’s leading dementia research charity specializing in finding preventions, causes, treatments and a cure for dementia.

What is dementia?

Dementia affects over 830,000 people in the UK. Around 23 million of the UK population have a close friend or family member with dementia. As well as the huge personal cost, dementia costs the UK economy £23 billion a year, more than cancer and heart disease combined. Despite these figures, dementia research is desperately underfunded.

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure.

I am excited to take part in this run and I hope you can all support me on this challenge.. I know I can do it.. but your donations is what will motivate me more!

the link is:
https://www.justgiving.com/dillanvaghela10krun/

Thank you very very very much

Dillan

Last edited:
Whilst I can understand the 100 day challenge, running every day is not a good training idea. The body should have a recovery period. I'd suggest a run 2 or 3 days then rest 1 day cycle. My knees aren't up to running these days too many years hanging out of the side of racing dinghies plus running. I think my best time for a 10K was 41:25 and 1:35:45 for a half marathon, that was in my late forties, never did get to do a full marathon.

wow, those are great times..

i have taken alot of advice on my method, and my routine is quite unique..

also my runs are still very relaxed compared to what others and perhaps yourself do or did :)

1. minimal stretching before, as you need to have fairly taught muscles, not fully loose muscles when running, but i stretch alot straight after :)

2. slower start pace and then build up for stamina.. i spent first month, jogging 3/4 minutes, then walking 1 minute, doing a lactate clearance exercise..

i never ever ran, even in my 99 gym challenge last year, i did not tread mill at all.. weights and cross training morning and evening every day..

3. now i am pushing my limits every day, i did a strava 10k in about 70 something minutes, and now i think i am towards the 63 minutes... i really want to try do it under an hour.. and hope to build on this as honestly i have found running the most enjoyable thing ever!!!

i agree, that generally, i should take breaks on it, however, what i do after every run, is then spend 45minutes - hour in the gym doing the following:

800 steps on my tip toes with 14kg weights on each arm, doing what one calls the farmer walk..

calf raises and calf drops with 12 kg weight, 30 reps, with feet pointing forward, 30 pointing outwards, and 30 pointing inwards, 3 sets.. so 270 in total and then 3 sets of squats with 25kg on a bar 20 x 3

this releases lactate from the muscles and really helps clear, and every day i am feeling super fresh..

trust me on this, i was the laziest guy ever..

these last 2 challenges really are making me feel great..

ofcourse i hope i dont get injury, and i am careful, i have full Osteopath support too

I have an operation coming up, so this really should be a great mental booster before i have the op!

here are some stats from my 99 day gym challenge last year :)

finalday1complete.jpg

please sponsor me : https://www.justgiving.com/dillanvaghela10krun/

Artyman.. advice always appreciated.. :) and thank you for the sponsor :)

Hi all.

Thank you for the all the support and for the donations to date.

Alzheimer's Research UK

Yesterday was my Run day.. and i completed my first ever 10k run.. yippee

I did it in 59min26s.

This was, as can be seen, Just under 1 hour.. and i had set myself an aim to complete it in under an hour :)

154547_10152864508578417_2996837079065982731_n.jpg

1236835_10152829191034108_5140592473606373671_n.jpg

It was by far one of the most rewarding things i have done, and i am so pleased to say i will take part in another one for sure!!! :)

FOR ANY ONE WISHING TO SPONSOR ME, PLEASE DO SO AT THE FOLLOWING LINK:

Alzheimer's Research UK
- Mental illness is something that affects more of us in the UK than many of the more well known conditions.. Its comes normally of OLD age, and is often neglected until it is too late...

YOUR DONATIONS IS NEEDED NOW.. WHEN YOU HAVE THE FINANCIAL AND MENTAL ABILITY TO MAKE THIS CHOICE... DEMENTIA IS AS CRITICAL, IF NOT MORE, THAN CANCER AND MANY OF THE OTHER MAJOR CONDITIONS THAT MAY POP INTO YOUR MIND..

Thank you!

Well done, just need to sort the training to improve your times for the next one :)

That's a great effort in just over 3 months!

I found that joining the local weekly Parkrun really helped keep the motivation up once the big event was over. parkrun UK

That's a great effort in just over 3 months!

I found that joining the local weekly Parkrun really helped keep the motivation up once the big event was over. parkrun UK

nice.. i am gonna look at this, as i want to keep this up if i can :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom