Sponsorship Letter

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Spinal, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    So I'm working on a letter to send out to a few companies in the area looking for sponsors for the Timbuktu Challege... Could you guys tell me what you think of it?

Comments? Suggestions?

I'm thinking of sending it to:
    - Castrol (oil, fluids and lubes)
    - Halfords (filters)
    - Local garage (car checkup or wheel alignment)
    - Total? Esso? BP? (fuel, money?)

Any other recomendations?

Thansk!
    M.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  2. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    I would add the PR angle.... have prepared press releases which can have the sponsor's name inserted for passing to the sponsor's local press, and continued releases re- progress as the challenge continues,

2 people like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    How's this sound:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  4. ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.
    27 June 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,
    Please accept this letter as a request for sponsorship for Team Book Two’s participation in the Timbuktu Challenge 2009-2010.

Now in its fourth year, the Timbuktu challenge heads deeper into the African continent after crossing ten countries, two continents, two bodies of water, the Sahara Desert, and ends near Timbuktu in Mali. Once in Mali, all vehicles are donated to local charity auctions.

The concept of the 'Banger Challenge' was created in 2002 to parody the real ‘Paris-Dakar’, showing that people on a limited budget can go where the big boys go. The restrained budget adds a further challenge to the event; which needs to be accounted for when preparing.

We are looking for sponsors to support us in this task, and naturally thought of <org name>. In return for any help or funding, we would be pleased place your sticker (which you can provide or we can have made from an image you provide) on our car, which we are looking at entering in several related events in the coming months to increase exposure. Additionally, a banner and link would be placed on our website, which currently attracts several thousand visitors every week. Finally, we have a leaflet campaign in the design phase, which includes space for our sponsors’ logos on the rear. We are looking to distribute between 500 and 1,000 leaflets in the area.

As the Timbuktu Challenge starts in December 2009, this means that <org name> would gain exposure locally at least for the next six months; mainly with people interested in motorsport.

We also are looking into producing a DVD of the event, caps and t-shirts and are currently working out the details of this with a manufacturer.

Additionally, we would supply you with a press release once the event is complete so that you may pass this to your local press or use it for P.R./marketing purposes. We will (conditions permitting) do our best to provide updates during the challenge.

We would be so pleased if this is something you might be willing to consider. We can provide you with any further details you may require, and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about this.

Thanks, Michele,
    Team Book Two Driver

Michele, just a few minor alterations FWIW.

I wouldn't use the word cash - there are some people who would shred on sight of that word.

Although most of the "big boys" would know that their sponsorship is quite possibly tax deductable, it may be an idea to mention this in the letter in some way.

Asking for help in this way is difficult and getting the reader to pass the first couple of lines would be the hard part.

Starting the letter "please accept my apologies for this intrusion" doesn't sound quite right, but something along those lines would be the way I might play it.

Best of luck with the letter and the challenge.

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wasn't planning on using the word cash, everything in '<''>' was a "please replace me with appropriate terms" sort of thing. The "contents" were a few lines down (e.g. oil, filters, etc). Though I may ask for financial support, so point taken ;)

I didn't know sponsorship was tax deductible! Do you have a link on this? Or somewhere I can read up on it? Seems like a good deal :D

I've changed the updates part - though it feels a bit "cheeky" to say that... it's going to be VERY hard to provide updates as it doesn't seem like Inmarsat will be providing us with a satellite system... so we'll be on satphone only!

Thanks,
    M.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  6. EDZ649

EDZ649 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL600 V12
    Think you should ditch the opening sentence, it's too abrubt.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr E

Mr E MB Enthusiast

Car:
    57 W211 E280 AG
    I would also make the effort of finding out a name of someone appropriate in the organisation to send the letter to.

I remember going on this trail back in my early 20's when raising money for a climbing tour in the Karakoram. It was very difficult to get anything from the large national companies - they have their main sponsorship deals already sorted. I had much better results from local and regional business where the type of coverage I was likely to receive (local press and radio) would actually do them benefit. It was all a mute point in the end as a bad fall ended my climbing days with a serious back injury.

I would have thought that local dealers, motor factors, garages, etc would be a better option. Another good tip that I got was to try and get a bit of local coverage first - produce a press release and chat to the local rags, and you can then include this in your request.

I went into companies and stores with a letter address to the person and "By Hand" written on it. 9 times out of 10 I actually got to see someone and because I had made the effort, even if they couldn't help out they were quite happy to provide an intro to another company that may be interested. My pack included a letter introducing who I was and what I was doing. I also had information on where I was going, the route to be taken and climbs involved. Finally I included the press info from the main organisation, press releases I had put together and a couple of clippings from local papers where the story had be carried.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chattonmill

Chattonmill MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E55 AMG
    I agree, perhaps something along the lines of

'On the (Insert dates) Team Book Two will be participating in the Timbuktu Challenge. As with any event of this nature there are the associated costs which have to be met. Whilst the team themselves will be funding the vast majority of these we are also looking for some sponsorship to help us on our way.

2 people like this.
  9. kwakdonut

kwakdonut MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Frod Mundano TDCi, Kawasaki z650
    What about a 'posed' picture with all team members round the mentioned vehicle - although not in any sort of business that could help, it would be nice to see smiling team members and a vehicle that actually exists!

Have you tried companies local to your location too? (I notice you put your location as Uxbridge) - Tesco's HQ is on the A40 isn't it? Maybe Wembley Stadium? Just suggestions..

I do hope you are successful!

2 people like this.
  10. bluevenetian

bluevenetian Active Member

Car:
    Midnight blue W124 estate
    Writing a press release and sending it to the local newspaper would be a good start. If you get your story in the local rag, it shows two things to potential sponsors

1) that you are switched on enough to get publicity and not some chance it merchants

2) that they (the sponsors) may benefit from the aforementioned publicity -- think feel good snap with their logo

1 person likes this.
  11. PXW

PXW MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance
    A few thoughts. Does the event do more for charity than simply donating a banger to Mali? If so, big it up in this letter ('The event typically raises £xxx each year for charity). Also, name the beneficiary charity - they will want to know, as most companies have restrictions on the kinds of charities they will support. It may be worth finding out the company's locally supported charities and if possible within the rules of the event including them as beneficiaries (eg I believe Castrol in Swindon support Prospect Hospice -btw Castrol and BP are one and the same - be careful about approaching the same company twice!). You need to maek the project relevant to the company and demonstrate how it fits in with the company's own values. For exmaple, many large companies are very hot on HSE - how well does the event fit in with this? Or perhaps they have a corporate value on green credentials - link in the benefits (if you can think of any!) or at least say enough to remove this as a potential barrier. I would go easy on the eaflet point - the big companies will place little value (possibly negative value) on having their logo on 1000 local leaflets!

Having established this event as something with which they would like to be associated, don't talk about their 'sticker' - talk about prominent presentation of their company's brand and logo on the vehicle. It would also be worth talking about photo opportunities that you might offer, offer to run a blog of the experience to keep them updated etc etc. I would also give some indication of the level of support you are requesting - is it £1000, £500, £5000 etc etc?

One other thought - might be worth looking at major companies not in the oil/motoring sector. For example, Cadbury have recently moved their HQ to Uxbridge and could be interested in something that supports a local charity, thus strengthening newly formed local community links (but watch for the quaker values!).

1 person likes this.
  12. PXW

PXW MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance
    No, Tesco HQ is in Cheshunt, Herts.

1 person likes this.
  13. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)

How about

"Team Book Two are driving a Banger to Timbuktu, but we need your help"

1 person likes this.
  14. Biscuit

Biscuit Active Member

What about including some of the coverage of previous races? Local stories from years gone by give a good idea of what kind of media coverage it gets and journo's have a good habit of summing up the challenge in the opening paragraph.
    "shropshire plumber Jack Bloggins is setting off on a challenge to get his mini to Mali next week to raise funds for ....." etc etc

failing that some webpages might give some idea...

another thought ... where does it start? and whats the total mileage? you might want to pop in a sentence or two about the scale of the challenge in addition to the 10 countries bit.

and not sure cars in charity auctions sounds right... are they auctioned off in aid of local charity or donated to charities?

1 person likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Thanks for all the input; it's great!

The letter stands thus (with proper headings and two nice logos at the top, the official challenge one and our team's).

Just some background info/answering questions...

We're looking for about £100 from each "corporate" sponsor, so nothing that breaks the bank... Hence the products services we asked for should amount to that value roughly (e.g. a hunter wheel alignment, few cans of oils and fluids, etc). The exact items, amount I'll fill in once I have the compaies "targetted".

I've merged the two intro's together ;) Thanks ;)

The car is donated to the Rotary club, which then auctions it off. All proceeds goto charity (though the actual charities aren't decided until the event from what I understand... but I'm not sure of this... will check this weekend when I meet the organisers)

I really want to write something for a local newspaper (I've even been asked to do so by the mensa travel sig...) problem is, I have no clue what to write :p Will need to sit down and think a bit...

Just finished getting the banners ready, and some flyers... not just need logos to put on the back :p

M.

16. EDZ649

EDZ649 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL600 V12
    Much better :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  17. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    If you get a MB for the trip I may sponsor you depending on costs.

1 person likes this.
  18. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
  19. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Thanks for the offer, but I bought a shogun one (late) night without even seeing it! D@mn you eBay! <shakes fist> :p

We've had the debate before - Spike's angry at me for a few things, one being that I didn't take a W124 down to Timbuktu :p

Next year... if I survive this challenge ;) I'm thinking maybe next year I'll do the Banjul challenge in a W124 or similar.... (maybe even my W202 - but don't tell her or she'll throw a fit!)

On a side note, out website is pretty much ready - just need to work on the French and German versions! Luckily my mother started her career as a translator, so I'll get her to do that ;) Just need to get her to work out emails :p The site will be "live" this Saturday - so I'll post a link here Sunday (once I get home from the official "release").

You can still sponsor us if you wish - though I think you'd have a challenge detailing the car (there's clay in the wiring looms by the doors after we went into a water hazard, clay on the inside of the windscreen after some of it splashed in through the sunroof and all forms of mud... pretty much all over :p) so a dirty car may not be the best advert for your company ;) It does look the part though :p

M.

20. stevesey

stevesey MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    Castrol HQ is in Swindon (Wakefield House, Pipers Way, SN3 1RE) - I'm in the building quite a bit.