Sport mode - what happens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mbstarz

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi sport
So I switched to sport mode but don't really see a major difference.

Is it only for high speed driving?
What should I notice?
Will it kill my economy if I leave it in sport?

Sorry if it sounds a silly question but just thought I would ask!

Leave my 124 in S mode all the time. It makes the changes more relevant rather than E which means it won't come out of 4th unless you beg and plead with it.

Sport mode uses 1st gear and apparently the changes are slightly quicker.

In Comfort mode the car sets off from standstill in 2nd gear and never uses 1st.

That's what my C Class does anyway.

Apparently Sport and Comfort use 2 different reverse gears also.

^ +1

As above, Sport or Standard (Depending upon how Mercedes interpreted it at the time the manual was printed). Pulls away in 1st gear and holds onto the gears longer.

Comfort pulls away in 2nd gear and changes up at lower revs. Unless you floor it when pulling away, in which case it will select 1st gear automatically.

After trying both, I leave mine in S. Couldn't see any increased mpg in C.

...After trying both, I leave mine in S. Couldn't see any increased mpg in C.

+1.

Same here.

C would be useful for starting off is snow or sand, but I have not yet tried either....

I think I will leave mine in S mode and see how it affects mpg around town. It does actually feel nicer to drive and a lot smoother.

Setting off in C seemed a lot of strain in 2nd for a heavy c class, isn't this bad for the engine or gearbox and results in less mpg due to pressing harder? I'm no mechanic but just a thought

I think I will leave mine in S mode and see how it affects mpg around town. It does actually feel nicer to drive and a lot smoother.

Setting off in C seemed a lot of strain in 2nd for a heavy c class, isn't this bad for the engine or gearbox and results in less mpg due to pressing harder? I'm no mechanic but just a thought

Taken today after a short Motorway drive at 70 mph.

Note the car was in S. I don't think you can really expect much better mileage than that (mine is a Petrol).

34zhb84.jpg

C and S only changes the rpm/load the gears are selected (and speed of selection in some newer cars).
MPG won't be adversely affected if you are only driving moderately and at the same speeds.
As for different reverse gear.... unlikely. May be will alter the sensitivity of the throttle pedal... all Mercs I have use 50%ish sensitivity in reverse..... i.e. you have to press it twice as far as compared to going forwards.

def90cars said:
C and S only changes the rpm/load the gears are selected (and speed of selection in some newer cars). MPG won't be adversely affected if you are only driving moderately and at the same speeds. As for different reverse gear.... unlikely. May be will alter the sensitivity of the throttle pedal... all Mercs I have use 50%ish sensitivity in reverse..... i.e. you have to press it twice as far as compared to going forwards.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_7G-Tronic_transmission

There are 2 different reverse gear ratios in the 7 speed box.

From the above.

The 7G-Tronic has two reverse gear ratios: 3.416 and 2.231. The winter mode, also recently named 'comfort' mode, starts out in 2nd forward and 2nd reverse.

Mercedes-Benz 7G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the above.

The 7G-Tronic has two reverse gear ratios: 3.416 and 2.231. The winter mode, also recently named 'comfort' mode, starts out in 2nd forward and 2nd reverse.

This actually makes sense. If you rock the car back and forth in the snow, you want to be in 2nd gear both ways.

Personally I suspect that C only exists to allow the cars to achieve lower co2 emissions when rated at the factory for type approval .

Mine is set to automatically be in E on start up and I have to manually set to S if required. Presumably all the blue efficiency models do this.

paulshep69 said:
Mine defaults to Comfort and I need to move it to Sport or Manual, not sure if it's across the range then?
My 2007 W204 when new would start up in whatever gearbox mode was selected when you turned it off. In 2009 it had a gearbox software update applied and from then on it defaulted to Comfort mode on startup. I think it was around MY2009 that this behaviour became standard across the range.

C and S only changes the rpm/load the gears are selected (and speed of selection in some newer cars).
MPG won't be adversely affected if you are only driving moderately and at the same speeds.
As for different reverse gear.... unlikely. May be will alter the sensitivity of the throttle pedal... all Mercs I have use 50%ish sensitivity in reverse..... i.e. you have to press it twice as far as compared to going forwards.

Mercedes-Benz 7G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the above.

As does the 5G 'box

Mercedes-Benz 5G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comfort mode has helped me loads in the past. Just keep it on Sport and use Comfort for slippery conditions.

Mine is set to automatically be in E on start up and I have to manually set to S if required. Presumably all the blue efficiency models do this.

My E350 Coupe is also set at E as default , I have to manually switch to S , I prefer to drive with it set in S , the car feels more responsive , have never checked the fuel consumption on the car since I have owned it , just drive and enjoy it :rock:

Depends on the exact model and options. My 2012 C350 has the Sport button on the dash next to the passenger seat heating and ventilation buttons. It operates the Dynamic Handling Package which provides firmer suspension damping, faster throttle response and more aggressive gear shifts for optimum acceleration (ie it holds the gears for longer to make best use of the wide power band). It makes the car even more fun to drive but knocks the fuel consumption for six, possibly because I make more use of the performance when it's switched on! It's probably a good thing that the Sport button is left of centre on the dashboard and not more conveniently located next to the gear lever or I'd be using it a lot more and possibly getting some points on my licence!

Does putting it in to S change handling or suspension?

Nope... just the gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom