Sportline and towbars-no go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Apial

Car
300ce-24 sportline
I want to fit a towbar behind my 300CE24 Sportline. All the ones I find for a 300CE (Brinks)say not for the sportline. Now has anyone fitted one? Did you have any problems, and how did you get around them?

Someone suggested fitting a drop plate upside down. Is that a problem?

Don't put a towbar on such a beautiful car !! :crazy:

keep its lovely lines clean !!

Howard, as much as I agree with you, I am forced by greater powers to transport one pony and pony trailer to various country horse shows. Towing with my Fiat Coupe and MINI are not really a good option. The 300CE24 will hopefully be fitted with a discreet removable towbar and allow it to get a few miles of summer use before being polished and laid up for winter in a good dry garage.

I only expect to do a thousand miles per year so giving the towing job to the Merc will give it an extra run that it needs to stop the seals deteriorating and the brakes siezing etc and more importantly earn its keep. Otherwise the afore mentioned powers will force its sale. :eek:

It seems that if I take my car down to St Albans, Watling Engineers will measure up the car and design me one. Now it is a long trek for me to St Albans, so if another manufacturer makes one then please post here. BTW Watling already make a neat detachable towbar for the Cabriolet, but due to chassis reinforcement in the cab, this version is unsuitable for the Coupe.

How much lower is the Sportline? Isn't it only about 40mm? Is MBenz being a little over fussy seing as the ball height on a trailer can be anywhere between 14 and 17"? :confused:

I have a c36 and that was not listed as a car suitable for towing, I have fitted a std w202 towbar (brink removeable) and it tow's just fine.

When I fitted mine, I had to make very slight alterations to the rear valance - right at the bottom, but everything is hidden and you would need a keen eye to spot it has a towbar.

I only tow a small trailer with garden waste, so I am not towing any weight though. I may tow my Speedboat with it at some point (If I ever get it back in the water again). However the speedboat is not a heavy load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom