Sports exhaust on an auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cplnoonoo

Car
Merc C180K Sportcoupe SE
Does it sound ridiculous to put an upgraded sports exhaust on an auto as the rev movement is different to that of a manual?

I have a 2004 C180 Kompressor auto with tiptronic btw.

Cheers

Do you mean literally, or is it just a silly idea?

To put your mind at ease, a sports exhaust is just part of the optional sport package as fitted to the auto W203 and others. SLK included.

Admittedly, it doesn't add a particularly sporty noise to the car, it just looks better IMHO.

Does it sound ridiculous to put an upgraded sports exhaust on an auto as the rev movement is different to that of a manual?

I have a 2004 C180 Kompressor auto with tiptronic btw.
Not ridiculous at all! The rev movement isn't that different is it? Smoother changes perhaps...

Remember that all AMG's are auto's and they have a lovely sound :)

Back to your question, what you mean by a sports exhaust, I guess you may be meaning loud or are we talking a free flowing system?

If my exhaust were to crumble I certainly would not buy a MB system(we are talking thousands here!) I would go for a stainless steel system and get it custom made. It's up to you how loud you make it. On your car in my opinion a loud exhaust wouldn't suit the car, and would get very tiresome when cruising on the motorway. So I'd get them to make it as quiet as possible, but it will still be louder than your stock system.

If you get a good system it will still give you a nice sound when putting your foot down but be relatively quiet at lower revs.

Is a sports exhaust still a good idea on an auto?

:rock:

I'm biased, but yes, definitely :D

Dont know where you are from,but there's a good firm in walsall that makes all there own stainless exhaust parts on site,& a huge range of tailpipes. Well pleased with mine.

The rev movement, or rather shift points, may be different but you can always use semi-manual mode and hang on to the RPM's for as long as you like?

To answer your question though? go for it!

Portzy.

Lies!

Oh, wait...

SS850255.jpg

Whats the best manufacturer to price ratio lol. I want good quality but not overly priced.

Whats the best manufacturer to price ratio lol. I want good quality but not overly priced.

Do you want noise or performance or both?

Noise is easy - just get a custom stainless made up at one of the PowerFlow stockists - lifetime warranty, and usually no more than £350 for a full system.

If you want performance (which I'd argue probably isn't worth the expense unless you're driving a high-performance car in the first place), then things start getting expensive...

Dont want it too loud. just something that purrs a little when running but not the ott growl and racket that you get when driving down the motorway. Maybe a stainless steel system isnt the best idea for this then.

I have a Clk23o and have just added a stainless system from the cat back. looks great and also has a nice tone under hard accelaration.

Last edited:
Dont want it too loud. just something that purrs a little when running but not the ott growl and racket that you get when driving down the motorway. Maybe a stainless steel system isnt the best idea for this then.

Where are you located, someone may be able to reccomend a place nearby to you.

I have a Clk23o and have just added a stainless system from the cat back. looks great and also has a nice tone under hard accelaration.

Need to get the hacksaw out for that oval cutout mate.

It's not difficult , but is nerve wracking !

I did mine to accomodate the AMG backbox i fitted.

Im located on the east coast of scotland in dundee. I dont think is there is many places close to me is there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom