Sports Suspension - How do I know ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnorton

This may sound like a stupid question, but I purchased a C320 Elegance ( W203 ) from Merc Direct. I never asked if this model had sports suspension fitted. How would I be able to tell if this was fitted. In my service book there is a list of code numbers which I assume are the extras etc.. does anyone know how I can find out or does anyone know how to decipher the codes ?

Thanks

jay

What codes have you got I'll have a look at what i've got at hand

I thought all the W203's had the same suspension unlike the 202's where you had Esprit, Sport and Classic/Elegance suspension set ups with different ride heights and firmness.

I may be wrong (I sometimes am!!)

203 Classic's and Elegance's have the same suspension, Avantgarde's is a little firmer.

it is still possible to get sports suspension on the elegance ;)

just looking thru the C class price list.

The code for the sports package (inc lowered suspension) is 949.

If it has the sports pack on it, it will have............5 spoke 7.5 j x 17(225/45 tyres front)
8.5j x 17 (245/40 tyres rear)
The front discs are larger and cross drilled and MB Lettering on the Calipers. it has a polished stainless steel tailpipe and sports exhaust.
The suspension is lowered 15 mm

I think the biggest indication would be the pedals with the stainless steel inserts.

Regards
Joe

I have a CLK430 with code 794 AMG light alloy 7.5 J x 17 ET 37 wheels on an elegance car. The code for suspension is presumably the 488 code but this is not listed on Koolvin's crib sheet. I was told at purchase from the steelership that factory fitted AMG's always came with sports suspension. Is this true on all the Merc's or just the CLK series?

I just looked at the codes supplied with my car and it says 653, which according to the list, means sport suspension with 8 hole alloys. I know I've got the alloys, but do all W202 Esprits come with this suspension?:confused:

I heard that the classic / elegance w202's had standard suspension, unless an option, whereas the Esprit and sport were stiffer and lower

Code 781 AMG suspension / wheel package

Sorry to bring up an old thread, just gone through this and checked my service book and I found this for my W202 Esprit:

781 AMG suspension / wheel package :D

Does this means that my car comes with AMG suspension ? :confused: I've got alloys but not AMG style but original MB 15" type 'Zosca' as per this member's car in the gallery.

jgeorg's gallery

How do I know? Noticed that the ride's stiffer than elegance/classic but not as roadholding as my W210 avantgarde with 18" AMG wheels. I'm having the car in the garage tomorrow for steering checks, might have a peek undercarriage. Is there any tell tale signs?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom