Spotted abandoned 201 2.3-16

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Yesterday, in a back street near me I spotted a rather nice looking 190 in silver with a full bodykit. Didnt look like it had been moved in a while and it had no number plates fitted and a tax disk expiring end of October.

On the windscreen, written in what appeared to be lipstick was a note saying;

"abandoned - help yourself"

Not sure if this would be of any interest to anyone or what the law would be regarding such a find.

Theft by finding.

Taking Without Consent (lipstick notwithstanding).

Etc..

"abandoned - help yourself"

Not sure if this would be of any interest to anyone or what the law would be regarding such a find.

Probably written by a neighbour sick of the sight of it lying there while the owner is in jail!

Russ

Or done by an ex-wife/girlfriend!

Probably... but then if no one grabs it then any minute now the council will come and grab it (the tax has just ran out) and the owner will receive a bigger bill than the car is worth.

I would imagine that everyone involved would be keen for the car to be taken.

A friend of mine took away an abandoned vehicle in the past and then went and told the police. After 3 months it was his legally.

I believe the first step here is to report the abandoned vehicle to the police. If you are the first lucky reporter and if the original owner is not found you may find that after a few months it's legally yours.

If however you just take it away or take parts from it then you could be looking at theft charges.

Scrappies seem to work to the rule 'If its untaxed & been there 14 days its mine' but legally ? A few years ago there was a scrappy who used to patrol the bank of the River Witham, if he saw a fishermans car he'd stop & see if said fisherman was asleep, & if he was, lift his car. After several had gone, the police set a trap,& lifted him !

The consequences for the rest of your life of having to admit to having a criminal record (for it would be theft if you lifted it) do not bear thinking about - and for the sake of a couple of hundred quid scrap car.
Better to knock on a few doors find out who owns it and offer them £20 to take it away; like you say they will probably be delighted.

If the logbook is in the car then just claim it as yours.

Being that the number plates have been removed, it would suggest that the owner doesn't want to be traced.

If I were interested in this car, I'd 'recover it' to a place of safety and then immediately contact the police to say that I had done so. (assuming neighbourhood enquiries didn't get anywhere first)

if its got 2.3-16 wriiten on the back with the cossie kit & is silver in colour its probably a fake, as the silver only came in the 2.5-16....

And I cant see the point in why someone would badge a 2.5-16 as a 2.3-16. :confused:

Is the registration number not written on the tax disc ?

Mine is ....

If anyone cares you can PM me the chassis number from the car and I'll get you the reg and tell if there is any police interest in the car.

There is a registration number on the tax disk... not sure if its for the same car though since the number plates aren't visible.

What does the disc say ?

Put it into webuyanycar and it will tell you what sort of car it is .

I'll go back later tonight and look - will post pics too but they'll be pretty ropey at night with a flash.

if its got 2.3-16 wriiten on the back with the cossie kit & is silver in colour its probably a fake, as the silver only came in the 2.5-16....

And I cant see the point in why someone would badge a 2.5-16 as a 2.3-16. :confused:
Sorry, but Smoke Silver was available on the 2.3-16

Stopped past it on the way home today (no pics yet though).

Spoke to some neighbours who said it had been there since June and none of the neighbours knew whose it was at all. They said they had phoned the police and council numerous times to tow it away but they hadnt. They were more than keen for me to take it away there and then so I guess it was they who wrote on the windscreen.

The car is taxed until the end of November, not October as I first thought.

Shows up as being insured still so other than the missing number plates and seemingly being neglected, it would appear to have an owner and if taxed and insured then it has every right to remain on the road I guess despite its missing numberplates.

At the end of the month though it may well be worth revisiting.

Only other making is that it has a small badge on the back saying "Devonshire performance cars". Oh and according to the DVLA it is gold (looks silver to me though).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom