Spotted In The Scrapyard.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brooklyn.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge, NYC...

That looks like a W110.

This photo illustrates just what a technologically advanced car the P6 was. Amongst its many unusual features was a clever front suspension set-up where the upper arm (circled) was attached directly to the bulkhead and the coil spring (arrowed but not clearly visible) was mounted horizontally in a bellcrank rather than vertically.

It may not look much now, but 54 years ago it would have been quite something and helped give the car fantastic handling.

DSCN7097_3.jpg

The diagrams below give a better view:

Rover_2000_4.jpg

Rover-2000-front-suspension.jpg

Although the Rover name is now synonymous with a lame duck that died a decade ago, there was a time when it represented superb engineering and outstanding technical innovation.

Them were the days......

1972 Triumph Dolomite:

DSCN7174.jpg

I could be wrong but I suspect that it's been off the road for a while.....

DSCN7182.jpg
Less rust than some w210s.

^ That was a POS when it left the factory.
Ask me how I know.

(a)You recognise your work after all these years :) :)
(b)It’s a Leyland product?

Though to be fair, the quality improved slightly after the production moved to Canley. ....it would then often be two weeks before it started rusting. :)

1979 Ford Mustang:

DSCN7697.jpg

DSCN7694.jpg

Acres of brown plastic and beige velour......

DSCN7685.jpg

Last edited:
I love this thread. Thank you Scott for taking time to photograph and post. It always make me think how each and every one of these machines would tell a story. From the expectation and excitement of delivery day to the eventual and sad inevitable final journey to the scrap yard.

Having restored my 124 Wagon I am so aware of the amount of parts that came from donors (I prefer that to scrappers). The sum of these parts makes up the eventual car that gets to live on for a few years longer than it's sell by date. Someones junk is somebody else's treasure??

Thanks again Scott. Well done you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom