Spotted In The Scrapyard.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love this thread. Thank you Scott for taking time to photograph and post. It always make me think how each and every one of these machines would tell a story. From the expectation and excitement of delivery day to the eventual and sad inevitable final journey to the scrap yard.

...that's life...

1964 Triumph Vitesse:

180125152457_thumbbig_1.jpg

180125152519_thumbbig_1.jpg

Many moons ago ... back around 1979, I had one of these. It was a soft top. Red, with black vinyl trim. It was my first car, bought off my next door neighbor for £600 notes.. It was my first "banger" so to speak..it needed work done to it.. and in those days panels were not as expensive as now.. Anyway I set about driving in and out of college perfecting my trade as a Maintenance Engineer. One Day Mr Stevenson the Fabrication Teacher was looming around my "car" - "Is this yours?" he asked "It is.." "Hmmm.." as he wandered around the car.. "What are going to do with it ..." he asked "Probably drive it until it drops.." I see..supposing I made you a deal.." "what kind of deal I asked" " Bring it in after college and allow the students to train on her, and we'll restore the car for you?" I needn't look back.. it was a great learning curve for me in the art of welding, fabrication, engine rebuilds and upholstery. ..It was finished in time for summer '81. it was gleaming one of the MOD students was a coppersmith he got all the chrome work redone.. and she was awesome! Drove like a peach.. so I came home one day and there was the previous owner out in the street talking to my neighbor. She nearly died when she saw this..Her jaw hit the floor, so much so she bought it back from me..
It had 4 speed and overdrive and the 2 ltr straight six in her.
One day me and the mates took her up the local boozers.. I fancied this barmaid called Carol, a tall dark haired swarthy looking girl. My mate agreed to take her mate.. IF we were successful... but what we didn't know was that they were already spoken for. They were the local gangs Molls and of course the pub was full of the "gang" so it kicked off.. and we started getting hassle from the gang.. it was decided then to make our retreats.. and slopped off in to the car park.. I got in the car, as did my mate and reversed out my parking space... things were being hurled at us from a far.. A customary rev of the engine, pop the clutch and...*Bang* followed by a loud *Crunch* and it was all over.. we'd lost forward gears... "Quick ...reverse!!" the mate shouts as the gang spills out... we turned and.....for 13 miles we drove home in reverse, the mate up on the back seat shouting commands, me watching where I was going and keeping her straight and steady.. those were bygone days, I was 19 then and the police were more lenient back then..and the roads were quieter.. I can laugh now...

That is what I love about this thread. The thoughts of the memories that every single one of these "wrecks" is staggering. They would all have, in their day, been somebodies pride & joy, a part of somebody's life, growing up, marriage, death, but a real tangible part of that persons makeup. How sad to see them now, but in a fascinating way how beautiful they cam look.

They'd look better in an open hearth furnace...:):)

Does anyone remember this:

http://picloup.azurewebsites.net/PB...ket.com/albums/q128/daveywren/31012010107.jpg

This was my next "Big Mistake" in cars.. this time I wasn't so lucky, it was a Flintstones car.. the floor was departing from the car.. and what I learned off this car was that "Rabbits can run up to 30mph!" another Wu56Shoozz useless fact.. ask me how I know Lols! I had two of these (not rabbits smart RS!) one exactly like this and another in black..loved them, but total rust buckets...

Citroen BX:

DSCN7982.jpg

Most Citroens parked around here look the same, not convinced that the one above was in a scrapyard!

Not in the scrapyard... but on a street in London... two Mercs and a Roller gathering dust:

20180628_214942.jpg

Also, I wonder what will happen when the parking suspension comes into effect....?

Morris Minor 1000:

DSCN3918.jpg

DSCN3917.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom