Spotted In The Scrapyard.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't tell at this distance- give away would twin exhaust pipe on driver side- so on the face of it- a 2.0 litre mk3
Hi,
I think it’s the 2.8i - judging by the badging on the left hand side of the tailgate
Also the 2.0 litre had a single exhaust on the left hand side.
As the only exhaust visible is on the right side - I believe this car has twin exhausts!
Cheers
Steve

I haven't seen anything interesting for quite a while but I have come across some photos on the internet of how things looked nearly 40 years ago. They were taken in Harborne, Birmingham around 1980 and so obviously the cars are totally different and the body rot is very visible in a way that it wouldn't be now. Initially, the yard appears to be in a rural or semi-rural setting but you can see the concrete tower blocks of the city above the hedgerow on the right.

Despite the passing decades, some things don't change that much. The cars in the yard are mostly 10 - 20 years old, just as they would be now, with the occasional older model to be found. On the left-hand side, under the tree, there is what looks like an early post-war saloon (Austin or Morris ?) which seems archaic even back then. However, if it was around 32 - 34 years-old, it would have been a similar age to the mid-1980s Maestro featured earlier in this thread so possibly wouldn't have been all that unusual.

Apart from that, the cars are mostly 1960s models. There's an Austin A40 Farina in the foreground, behind that a 105E Ford Anglia and then a pair of Hillman Hunters or derivatives. After the black 1940s car there's a Vauxhall FC Victor estate and another A40 Farina with it's rear raised.

I think that TRF in the bottom right-hand corner may be a Mark 1 Cortina and there's a Mini with external door hinges by the hedge (Are those front disc brakes ? If so, it may have been a Cooper). Following along the hedge there's a Vauxhall FB Victor, a Mark 1 Cortina estate, a Hillman Minx and what is probably a two-door FB Viva. In the distance is what looks like a BMC van (ex-Post Office ?), a Morris Minor (possibly a van) in the centre and another Mini over on the left minus its boot lid.

It's hard to identify much else but all of these cars would now be worth a tidy sum had they survived with the Minis, the Minor Van and the Anglia probably commanding the highest prices:

304405.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything interesting for quite a while but I have come across some photos on the internet of how things looked nearly 40 years ago. They were taken in Harborne, Birmingham around 1980 and so obviously the cars are totally different and the body rot is very visible in a way that it wouldn't be now.

But some things don't change that much. The cars in the yard are mostly 10 - 20 years old, just as they would be now, with the occasional older model to be found. On the left-hand side, under the tree, there is what looks like an early post-war saloon (Austin or Morris ?) which seems archaic even back then. However, if it was around 32 - 34 years-old, it would have been a similar age to the mid-1980s Maestro featured earlier in this thread so possibly wouldn't have been all that unusual.

Apart from that, the cars are mostly 1960s models. There's an Austin A40 Farina in the foreground, behind that a 105E Ford Anglia and then a pair of Hillman Hunters or derivatives. After the black 1940s car there's an Vauxhall FC Victor estate and another A40 Farina with it's rear raised.

I think that TRF in the bottom right-hand corner may be a Mark 1 Cortina and there's a Mini with external door hinges by the hedge (Are those front disc brakes ? If so, it may have been a Cooper). Following along the hedge there's a Vauxhall FB Victor, a Mark 1 Cortina estate, a Hillman Minx and what is probably a two-door FB Viva. In the distance is what looks like a BMC van (ex-Post Office ?), a Morris Minor (possibly a van) in the centre and another Mini over on the left minus its boot lid.

It's hard to identify much else but all of these cars would now be worth a tidy sum had they survived with the Minis, the Minor Van and the Anglia probably commanding the highest prices:

304405.jpg
Field full of Memory's.........which say's a lot about my age....would have worked on nearly all of those cars. Farina's, Hillman Minx/ Hunter, Vauxhall's, Ford 100 and 105E's, Austin and Morris car's, plus a few " Foreign" car's, not seen in the pic.

That looks more like somebody's treasured collection that they're planning to "do up" (and have been for years but never will !).
Yes they do have that look about them, don't they? Some nice one's there though.

Apart from that, the cars are mostly 1960s models. There's an Austin A40 Farina in the foreground, behind that a 105E Ford Anglia and then a pair of Hillman Hunters or derivatives. After the black 1940s car there's a Vauxhall FC Victor estate and another A40 Farina with it's rear raised.

304405.jpg

Good spot. I think third one back is a MkII Cortina (lack of raised swage on front wing) whilst beind the FC Victor is a HA Viva (check relationship of front quarterlight with curve of window). My guess for the '40s car is a series M Morris 10.

Great photo, as usual.
I recall an Epic scrapyard I used to see as a child in the 70s, when travelling to Lancs from down South.
Somewhere around Rothwell or Desborough, near the M6. Cars seemed to be piled about 8 or 10 high!

Good spot. I think third one back is a MkII Cortina (lack of raised swage on front wing) whilst beind the FC Victor is a HA Viva (check relationship of front quarterlight with curve of window). My guess for the '40s car is a series M Morris 10.

You could be right about the Cortina although I'd still say that the car behind it is a Hunter or derivative. The rooflines and door profiles are very similar on both cars and follow the square, clean-cut lines of that period. The car behind the FC Victor with its rear raised is definitely an Austin A40 - the roofline and the rear pillar are identical to the very first car in the foreground and they are possibly even the same light colour with a cream roof.

Along the hedgerow, hidden between the dark Cortina estate and the light coloured Minx with its boot lid open, is another 105E Ford Anglia. It's about 13 years-old and is extremely rusty in a way that would be very typical of cars back then. The front edges of the wings have gone, there's underseal daubed all over the lower part of the valance and it looks very much as though someone has cut out a piece of plastic and used it to cover the rot next to the offside indicator. But it can't have been all bad as the engine clearly had some life left in it and has been removed:

30403493763-04807091dc-b-1.jpg

I used to work in a garage stores in teenage holidays. The storekeeper bought a new Ford every 3 or 4 years. First thing he did was remove all chrome trim, door handles, wing mirrors, radio aerial and bumpers. Every orifice was treated to Waxoil or whatever. Then a full underseal. All this before driving it.
When he sold them on his cars were mint, unlike most others on the road at the time.

^ Modded mine with high lift Ian Piper cam and the exhaust manifold from a Ford Cortina 1500 GT.
Also had wider rear steel wheels and cross-ply tyres.

^ Modded mine with high lift Ian Piper cam and the exhaust manifold from a Ford Cortina 1500 GT.
Also had wider rear steel wheels and cross-ply tyres.
Don't think cross-plies were an upgrade. Disc Brakes sticker at the rear was a definite upgrade.

Correct. I'm not sure radial tyres had been introduced then.
Drum brakes on mine:(
Yeah but, if you had drum brakes and the Disc Brakes sticker you had a cool performance upgrade. Think brake linings were made of cardboard in those days. Really there were some very sharp practices apart from cardboard brakes. A liitle sawdust in the sump to hush up the main bearings. Some newspaper coated with bitumen in the sills to hide the rot. A little heavy oil to keep the oil pressure light off. Etc etc.

You are right about the Cortina although I'd still say that the car behind it is a Hunter or derivative. (Agreed) The rooflines and door profiles are very similar on both cars and follow the square, clean-cut lines of that period. The car behind the FC Victor with its rear raised is definitely not an Austin A40 - the roofline and the rear pillar are not identical to the very first car in the foreground ...

30403493763-04807091dc-b-1.jpg

Your scrapyard thread is one of my favourites but, as in other threads, you have a reputation of considering yourself to be right at all times. On a matter of principle, I will state that the "second A40" is an HA Viva.

Look closely and you can see the waistline crease and, as said before, the quarterlight is entirely different. The rear side window is straight rather than curving down slightly as on an A40. And that is not an A40 bonnet...

Anyway, don't lose sleep over it - I won't!

...and keep the challenges coming... :D

304405.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom