Spotted In The Scrapyard.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to make those Leyland cabs when I first started work.

Yes i bought my [war depot ] wife one of these to learn to drive in ..I was amazed at the comfort and the power of the sporty little 1 ltr engine . But it started to rust like they all did back then .,

Few peple realised what a revolutionary model the original Ford Fiesta was for Ford in the UK. Apart from the German made Ford TAUNUS it was the first foray into the frontwheel drive supermini market for Ford Europe and together with other European manufacturers may well have sounded the deathknell for BLMC.

Few peple realised what a revolutionary model the original Ford Fiesta was for Ford in the UK. Apart from the German made Ford TAUNUS it was the first foray into the frontwheel drive supermini market for Ford Europe and together with other European manufacturers may well have sounded the deathknell for BLMC.
I was working in a Ford Main Dealers back then when the Fiesta was introduced. It was a great little car, and still is, as proved by their continual manufacture and sales figures

We had the later XR2i (89 plate G Reg) in a slate grey. It was 6-7 years old when we got it but was my pride and joy. Great little car that never cost me anything aside from service and general running costs.

Eventually part ex’d it for an x demo Mondeo ST24. That was great too. 🥳

We had the later XR2i (89 plate G Reg) in a slate grey. It was 6-7 years old when we got it but was my pride and joy. Great little car that never cost me anything aside from service and general running costs.

Eventually part ex’d it for an x demo Mondeo ST24. That was great too. 🥳
The XR2s were something else!!! They packed quite a punch for their size and weight.Would be worth some money now if you still had it.

A shame as the Metro was a much better car to drive in every sense but driving position. All the Fiesta offered was the driving position feel of a bigger car. If only the Metro had looked less frumpy and Ford wasn't enjoying the rallying success it was. The union jack and a future princess owner was not a marketing strategy to trump Ford's. A couple of brackets would have sorted out the overly upright steering wheel.

This is the last one.

In the centre is a Standard Vanguard which is on a 1964 "B" plate yet production had finished the year before. They were apparently popular cars with the MOD, particularly the RAF, so this one may have done a few years with the Colours before being de-mobbed and acquiring a registration plate for that year.

304404.jpg

To the right is a very rusty Triumph 2000 Mark 1 and behind that sits another 105E Anglia.

The Mark 1 Cortina on the left has a dent in the roof that houses a puddle and the front wing is rotten and hanging off. However, despite probably being a base model, it would be much sought after today as it's the two-door version and would be snapped up for conversion into a GT or fake Lotus.
But did it have the column gear change,and rumble seat???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom