Spotted my first CLK (E coupe on the road today)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Doing my morning drop the little one off at Grandma's run spotted this car coming towards me with really bright lights (sort of audi LED things)

Turns out it was a new E class coupe, and as it got nearer noticed the private was one that I useually see on a R-class.

Looked good from the glace I saw on the move, previously I saw them at the Geneva show.

Quite a bit smaller than his R class...maybe the kids have moved out

They really are a good looking car - only thing I'm unhappy about, especially as a biker, is this daylight running light thing. I know we've had a long thread on this before but we really don't need them in this country. They should be off unless legislation specifies otherwise.

They really are a good looking car - only thing I'm unhappy about, especially as a biker, is this daylight running light thing. I know we've had a long thread on this before but we really don't need them in this country. They should be off unless legislation specifies otherwise.

but bikers ride with their lights on all the time!

Wow - you are a brave man!!! Prepare for the Biker Onslaught! :eek: :p

(I agree with you but was not brave enough to post it. Bikes screaming up behind me with full beam irks me to say the least)

....and if cars all have their lights on too, this makes bikers 'invisible' as such, increasing the chance of accidents!

Am not opening the light on debate again, just stating that more new cars seem to have this now.

Wow - you are a brave man!!! Prepare for the Biker Onslaught! :eek: :p

(I agree with you but was not brave enough to post it. Bikes screaming up behind me with full beam irks me to say the least)

But at least you saw the biker!

Yes, even as a biker myself, some of the antics are somewhat 'irksome' as you put it!

I dont really think daylight running lights are a safety issue for bikers, as an ex biker I know all too well what its like to be treated by car/van/bus drivers as though I didnt exist, this was with running lights, white reflective helmet etc etc.

If I see a bike coming up behind me, I move over a bit to give him extra room to pass me, I know he is going to do it, so why not make it safer for the biker to pass in confidence that he knows my driving line.

Some of them even acknowledge the fact with a slight wave :)

Awareness is the issue.

Last edited:
If I see a bike coming up behind me, I move over a bit to give him extra room to pass me, I know he is going to do it, so why not make it safer for the biker to pass in confidence that he knows my driving line.

Some of them even acknowledge the fact with a slight wave :)

Awareness is the issue.

Almost all bikers in this day and age also drive cars so understand life both sides of the windscreen.
Unfortunatly the same can not be said of the the majority of motorists.

I always give a wave if someone goes to the trouble of moving over for me....at least I know that they know I'm there!:)

Agree - its not always possible, but I will acknowledge a considerate motorist(s).

All non-bike riding motorists please note that the majority ARE grateful if you pull over slightly, even if we don't always show it!!!

Bikes screaming up behind me with full beam irks me to say the least)

Never saw bikers driving up to cars with full beam on before.
I think you're getting confused with the way motorcycle suspension works.

Russ

Never saw bikers driving up to cars with full beam on before.
I think you're getting confused with the way motorcycle suspension works.

Russ

Fair comment - maybe screaming was OTT. But certainly close enough behind for full beam to dazzle. And yes, I have an auto dipping mirror, but not everybody does

A few points;
The highway code says that a motorbike(even cycle) should be allowed as much room as a car.
-does this mean we pull off the road to allow a bike to pass??:crazy:
-If a bike wants to pass, there should be enough room for them to do it safely, without a car having to pull over a foot or so to allow it
-by pulling over, it could be construed that the car driver is indicating to the bike that it is safe to pass. Are you as the car driver sure it is safe ahead for the bike? The onus should be fully on the bike-rider - they are the one to take the risk & should only do so when it is safe
By pulling over in your car, you are more likely to drive through nearside road debris. Some drivers may be distracted by a motorbike sitting on the rear bumper & may make mistakes as a result

ducks & runs for cover (I do ride a motorbike occasionally!)

So when in a motorway slow queue (say all three lanes moving at around 30 mph) do bikers feel it's alright to go between lanes 2 and 3 and though they have created a 4th lane...often they are missed in the mirrors of the car in lane 3 as they "undertake"....(almost an appropriate word)

So when in a motorway slow queue (say all three lanes moving at around 30 mph) do bikers feel it's alright to go between lanes 2 and 3 and though they have created a 4th lane...often they are missed in the mirrors of the car in lane 3 as they "undertake"....(almost an appropriate word)

4th lane is wrong.
However, a vehicle can pass in slower lane when there is slow moving traffic in outer lane(highway code)
(obviously vigilance needed for vehicles changing lanes)

Anyway.... I've never seen the new E Class coupe in the flesh:(
Tomorrow I might just get on my bike, headlight on and filter down to the dealers to have look at one.....;)

I sat in a white one at the Geneva show, lovely inside and out but it was probably full with 10K worth of goodies.

It also needs big wheel in my book as the arches need filling...

Nice car and think it will sell. I also liked the full sunroof on the show car..

DSCF1354.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

My flickr pics here..

Geneva Show 2009 New E Class & E Class Coupe - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
As a former biker (Yamaha FJ1200) I ALWAYS move over for bikes and they ALWAYS thank me! Nice! :)

I tend to find even if I move over they still seem to cut you in.

Also whereas in europe they kick the leg out to say 'thank you' there is none of that here.

Generally on the country roads I drive on in Chester its the bigger bikes playground and us cars are just in the way. I don't mind being overtaken by them but theres no need to cut you in. Sorry if that is a few that give me that impression but thats how I see it as a driver.

Most of them are straight liners also as even in the bus they bottle it near the twisty. Either that or currently due to the weather a lot of fair weather riders are dusting down there leathers.

ooh and while I'm nagging what is it with bikers who stopped at the light find it impossible to just wait for the lights rather than constantly rev rev rev rev brum brum?

:(
Tomorrow I might just get on my bike in the flesh.....

Naked-Calendar.jpg

Now that is exactly what I mean about irresponsible bikers. Don't you know that wearing Helmet and Leathers is important to your safety???

:eek:

i think the new crease lines that run along the front and back in the middle look ridiculous...

i mean seriously... what a **** design concept...

the new rear lights are so big, classy cars really dont need to bling up the headlamps..

compact neat and tidy designs.. ie.. w124 or the likes were focused clear cut design... what is this ****??

the new interior looks like mis matched shapes..

and i know that with so much technology and stuff going on in the dash, they have to increase it, but what is with the new monster dashes... so much space is taken un.. its so over endulging.. like the bmw 5 series of the late 90's they were huge... maybe we can cram in a mattress to turn it into a rest bed...

and due to the wrong chassis on the new e class coupe, the rear windows would not close all the way, and that little quarter panel is one of the worst design traits i have seen of any car in a long time...

THINK BEFORE USING ANY OLD CHASSIS...

oh and on a definate final note, the new front bumpers of the new e which lack chrome, look so plasticy, with tiny little chrome strips scattered around, is it recognisable as a benz any more???

the pure plain plastic bumpers with so little in feature and detail make the cars look like the standard equipment old style round head lamp e classs... chrome is what makes cars stand out, and this whole car is a mess. both the coupe or saloon.

i mean, sure i might buy one some day, but not cause i want to, but cause everything else is pants too these days... and saying that, maybe mercedes knew it all along to supply a car thats supposed to be an e class, but is actually a "c class in transition" and put some funky design stuff that would appeal to some one looking out of the back side, and voila.. a new car.. my suggestion, save your money and keep the cars you have... they are probably much more reliable and sure, maybe not as well put together, but if you car goes wrong, the simpler cars will just be easier to fix..

its prob like a cartel... they built the cars before that others could fix, today, u need a computer from one of the space stations to tell you that the mirror indicator is not working and to fix it, u must log in the computer main frame... arghh..

what happened to the hands on approach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom