Spreading the word

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
I have been down to Brighton a lot this year, Nick Froome has been helping me with my BMW 02 (he races one) and also planning the installation of some superb hifi in the W124. In front of the garage that I keep my 02, he keeps a couple of W201s that the market just doesn't seem to want at a price that justifies prepping them.

So, going to Glyndebourne this week and as my W124 is in Brighton for the hifi installation, I ask my guest, a good friend of 27 years standing if he can give me a lift. No problem, his L reg Mondeo is not a car I would choose normally, but needs must. Sunday afternoon call - it has died, it had an Mot and service a month ago and not having checked, the oil filler cap had been left off and so no oil, engine grinding badly. So down to Brighton to pick up W124, and of course it comes back with trim all over the place as Nick kindly put it all back together.

On the way down to Glyndebourne, my mate, who on the whole isn't a car buff (hence the Mondeo) asks me about a replacement, he has a decent budget, but when we go through the list of modern cars, Skoda, Golf etc, just no excitement. He likes the W124, his father had two in the 80s, but a bit too big - ding, the lightbulb comes on, what about a 190E - four cylinder decent all round performance, comfortable, reliable, and sorted.

So down to Brighton yesterday, Nick's 190E 2.0 sells itself - excellent condition, super interior, new springs all round so the ride is great, torquey and refined for a 4 pot. I sit in the back, not much legroom, but perfectly comfortable and think I am in something no more than 5 years old. We try a 2.6 (my favourite 190, but with a performance my friend will never use), wonderful engine, you would think yourself in a E class. Friend loves it, but thinks the 4 pot all he needs. Sale concluded, friend very happy. Car just serviced, good tyres, new radio, fully prepped. Oh, and a warranty too - on a 22 year old car, from a firm who deliver.

These are great cars, with a real sense of occasion, and at 22 years old, this looked almost factory fresh, and drove that way. The ride is superb, the car is refined, a proper Merc. So hopefully next time I have to get a lift, the car will work, it will have the three pointed star at the front, and it most certainly won't be a Mondeo.

I actually felt jealous too.

Last edited:
Nice looking 190 there. Almandine is a lovely colour.

Did you get your commission? :rock:

He may miss a little of the interior space but that is all.

Another one into the Mercedes fold.

Well done Charles.

Yes - I don't have to move a 190E from in front of the garage each time we take out my 02...

On the other hand, nor does an 02 thief. OOps.:wallbash:
Or look at it this wasy; you have sacrificed your BMW for a Mercedes...:ban:

No one takes Isolde without hearing from Brunnhilde.....

He may miss a little of the interior space but that is all.

Another one into the Mercedes fold.

Well done Charles.

Upfront they are fine. David is a big lad, ex rugby prop, and no problems there. Even with both of us on the same side of the car for the test drive, it didn't list too much...

Joking apart, I was seriously impressed by the quality of these cars, with proper prepping they feel close to new.

I have always been impressed by the 2.6, it is a great engine and really makes this car.

Nick has one, but I think Dash has a super one also - here. For someone who wants performance, comfort, a real sense of presence, all for near nothing, these are really great cars.

I couldn't agree more about the 190, Charles. It is the car that pretty much got me hooked on Mercedes as a boy. :D

As soon as my children are a bit older, I will be buying a 190E 2.3 16v Cosworth. Or an Evo 1, funds permitting...:rock::rock::rock:

As soon as my children are a bit older, I will be buying a 190E 2.3 16v Cosworth. Or an Evo 1, funds permitting...:rock::rock::rock:
That would be a pretty impressive pedal car for the back garden.

My boss in 92 (a Mercedes nut - he had a 350 SEL 6.3 as his fun car) had a brand new 190 2.6 as his company car, and he let me drive it back from Harrogate to London after a business trip. The ride, the creamy power delivery, the smooth auto was a revelation then, and despite the passage of time and many many other cars, I couldn't help but be impressed by them now. The most comprehensively developed non luxury Merc of all time?

Start saving for the Evo. Have you seen the prices of them?

There's a reason you still see so many 190's on the roads nearly 20 years after production ended.

^ Do you? I can't remember the last time I actually saw one.

Was it anything to do with there being loads sold?

I see a reasonable number in London, I suspect now I am tuned in, I'll probably notice far more.

There are 11,000 left on the road, in 2001 there were 57,000. That's a pretty high rate of attrition.

As an owner of an absolute peach of a 190 myself, i have to admit i've become rather fond of them.

Dare i say it, i think they are a better buy than a w124. lots of low mileage examples still around with no rusty wings for between 500 and 1000 quid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom