Spring has sprung!! (S/W switch)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mijfife

Car
E300 Avantgarde TD Auto Estate. 1998
Hi all, my S/W switch on the auto gear selector panel was sticking in W so I stripped it to free it off. Olivier did mention to me that the little internal spring could be a pain to put back... he was right :doh: It sprung when I was clipping the switch back in and disappeared into the bottom of the selector illumination panel somewhere! I don't want to break anything so is there an obvious way to remove this assembly so I can try and find the spring? It's the white plastic rectangular bit beneath the illuminated letters that I need to get into.
On the plus side, the little plunger on the S/W switch is now moving free again but without the spring, it will now be stuck in S mode :eek:

1998 w210 300 diesel

Cheers Jim

I run mine is S all the time W is so slow.

Lynall

Hi Lynall, I did notice quite a difference between my car & Olivier's, hence why I wanted to check the switch. I'd just like to have both options working so hopefully I can recover the spring and put it where it should go!

Cheers Jim

Hi Jim,
Not sure if this is where the spring went but I think ( if I remember properly) the "letters" PRND etc... is just a sticker you can peel off.
This if this is where the spring went.
Petty about the spring springing but glad that the plunger was the bother , it's at least a good result :thumb:
Olivier

Hi Olivier, I think the spring went deeper, I ideally need to remove the white plastic unit that the PRND bit is attached too. Failing that, I'll need to ask if the dealer does a replacement spring for the switch or try and find one in the breakers yard.

Cheers Jim

There was a DIY from DieselMan on how to open it and clean the contacts in it but I cannot find it? Try to see if you can.
DieselMan could you put this DIY up again?
Cheers.
Olivier

Thanks Olivier, I couldn't find it either :confused: Does the whole unit come out to change the bulb? It moves around a wee bit in the housing but I'm not sure if it's supposed to unclip and don't fancy breaking anything for the sake of a little spring!

Cheers Jim

In this country, you only even need W when its icey anyway

If I was Jim I rather like find the spring if its in there, I wouldn't like it to go between some contacts while driving :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom