Spring sunshine :) (R129)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
So yesterday was lovely, and seemed like time to get the hard top off. Always a nervous moment, but the soft top came out of hibernation without hesitation. Bless.

I decided to reward it with a three-stage Renovo treatment. It seems to work, as water now beads on the hood.

While poking around with a can of WD40 under the hood I came across a switch by the bulkhead. It looks like a courtesy light switch, but I can't see a light. Can anyone advise?

Cheers

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_20130407_201440[1].jpg
    IMG_20130407_201440[1].jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20130407_190040[1].jpg
    IMG_20130407_190040[1].jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 38
It's for the bonnet open warning and alarm.

While poking around with a can of WD40 under the hood I came across a switch by the bulkhead. It looks like a courtesy light switch, but I can't see a light. Can anyone advise?

Do you mean under the bonnet? If so it's likely to be connected to the alarm.

Not happy now

OK so today I get into the car after heavy overnight rain and the headliner is about 70% visibly damp. So the waterproofing treatment has left it less water resistant than it was before :(

Has anyone else experienced a similar effect? I did this really carefully too, leaving the colour dye to dry before I applied the waterproofing. Grrr.

Jon

That is interesting as I was thinking of similarly treating the roof on my 129 as the canvas is no longer black, more of a faded very dark grey.

Keep the thread up to date with your long term findings please.

Jf

What is weird is it still beads.

Maybe the proofer is topping the individual fibres from swelling and sealing all the gaps. I just don't know :(

Thanks for this info - I'm newbie first timer to soft tops - I have had my R129 less than 5 months, removed and stored the hard top in mid-Feb (somewhat early it turns out) - but keep the car garaged when not in use.

The soft top got properly wet for the first time during the week and I was wondering - as there was no visible run off of the rain - how the soft top waterproofing works?

Should a properly proofed roof "bead" when wet?

What do other soft-toppers recommend as proofing treatment?

Many thanks

MW

What does the handbook say about hood care?

Mine has never 'beaded' but there's no obvious damp inside e.g. when washed. I've never treated it or done anything other than wash it.

The car is garaged now but lived outside for 3 years.

I re-proofed mine and I'm pretty sure it was with Renovo. It didn't need it and there was no fading. No problems before or after but much beading after.

What does the handbook say about hood care?

Mine has never 'beaded' but there's no obvious damp inside e.g. when washed. I've never treated it or done anything other than wash it.

The car is garaged now but lived outside for 3 years.

Mine lives outside and I hadn't had a problem in 2 years. I thought I was doing it a favour.

Manual just says wash it.

Jon

The Renove treatment is very good - certainly a beading roof will last longer than one that holds water and promotes mould growth. Autoglym make a roof cleaning kit which is also quite good.

I've used Renovo before, but I don't like finish of their restorer. Painting their sealant on obviously gives you better application control than other aerosol treatments.

I usually use MB's own aerosol sealant, but you need to apply with care around the windows etc and it will turn the sticky part of masking tape into a gooey mess, so beware!

Mine's a 96 car, and whilst I don't want to tempt fate by saying I've never had a leak problem, it can only be a matter of time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom