Sprint boosters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
I'm interested to know what members opinions are on Sprint Boosters.

Do they make a difference to how a throttle pedal reacts, do they cut out any hesitation that a car could have in certain gear box programs?

Interested in your thoughts.

Something like this!

Thanks

It’s never gonna give you that instant shove that you may be looking for, it just makes the ECU think you have pushed the throttle pedal further than you have.

If that’s what you’re looking for then it could be for you - but it offers zero performance increase in reality.

Fantastic bit of kit , best thing I ever did to the Merc.

Brings the torque in quicker and wakes up the lazy throttle pedal especially when joining roundabouts and existing junctions .

I have that exact same SB model .

It’s never gonna give you that instant shove that you may be looking for, it just makes the ECU think you have pushed the throttle pedal further than you have.

If that’s what you’re looking for then it could be for you - but it offers zero performance increase in reality.

I didn't imagine it to give you a shove in the back as such just to iron out that lazy slight hesitant throttle. I also wasn't after any performance increases. It is just Purley for the delay in throttle response. If it could improve that by 20/30% it could be a good iteam.

Fantastic bit of kit , best thing I ever did to the Merc.

Brings the torque in quicker and wakes up the lazy throttle pedal especially when joining roundabouts and existing junctions .

I have that exact same SB model .

Thats really helpful, thanks for the information.

Exactly what I was hoping it could offer. 👍

A pair of heavy shoes will have a similar effect ;)
Heavy shoes, what like a flip flop, and not hob nail boots😉😁

Tbh, on all the modern MB boxes (7-speed onwards) I find they are a bit too lazy in C and too snappy in S.

Never really been concerned over the throttle response, I guess you adapt to it in time.

Wouldn’t mind a gearbox remap to make ‘C’ sort of halfway between C and S, and leave S as it is :cool:

I guess try a sprint booster if you want, but I reckon once the initial novelty has worn off you won’t notice any real difference :)

I believe I have something similar on the Suzuki (not an aftermarket item).

The 'Sport' setting doesn't just change the transmission shift programme, but it also changes the sensitivity of the throttle response - the engine is reving high in response to a fairly short accelerator pedal travel. To the extent that other family members find the car undriveable in Sport mode, due to the 'jerky' acceleration. Personally, I enjoy the extra mental effort required in order to make smooth progress... basically you have a much smaller travel in order to replicate what would have been 'full throttle' in standard mode.

The car feels much more 'powerful' when the throttle response programme is altered in this way, though I am well-aware that it's an illusion - the engine obviously doesn't produce any more power.

On the Merc, of course, Sport mode only affects the transmission shift programme but it doesn't alter the throttle response (or, if it does, it's very subtle).

Last edited:
I've looked at this subject quite deeply about throttle controllers as I like to know the ins and outs of a ducks ass and they work best when there is a significant delay.

And there are gains sometimes to be had .

2020-06-10 06.52.49.png

Screenshot_20210410-080829_YouTube.jpg

I also find the gear box to be that small bit lively in S. But the c mode to be that ever so slight hesitant. Reading up on the SB it sounds as though it can alter the that slight hesitant input. And give a quicker response through the pedal with the different settings it has on offer.

I think I may purchase one.

Often thought of one for my Range rover, as very often when you come to a roundabout slowly, decide to go as someone is coming round, accelerate, then there is nothing, your committed, stamp on the throttle & get a blast from the other cars horn as you eventually accelerates. Common problem with them as it sits in second gear. Ok, use the paddle but you never think of it.
Anyway never got one yet.

It's amazing the number of people who consider but don't purchase , there's no risk as 30 day satisfaction guarantee and is an easy 5 min fit .

My only regret is I didn't do it sooner .

just_do_it.jpg

It's amazing the number of people who consider but don't purchase , there's no risk as 30 day satisfaction guarantee and is an easy 5 min fit .

My only regret is I didn't do it sooner .

View attachment 114041

Orderd up this afternoon 😁👍

I'm in the long debating not purchasing camp! In essence they just mean that you need less pedal movement for the same response, so equivalent of a bigger shove with the boot, rather than removing drive by wire delay, right.......?

IIRC there's been a lot of discussion on these here in the past - probably quite a few threads knocking about.

When I get mine hooked up I can post up my findings.

Be good be good pleeeeassee be good.....😂😂

And there are gains sometimes to be had .

No, that's just variance in the dyno. Most of the rolling roads used by tuning companies are only consistent to around 3%. Hub driven ones tend to be slightly better as they remove any inconsistency of the tyre against the roller

No, that's just variance in the dyno. Most of the rolling roads used by tuning companies are only consistent to around 3%. Hub driven ones tend to be slightly better as they remove any inconsistency of the tyre against the roller

2020-06-10 06.52.49.png

That is no variance !

That is 100% a throttle controller getting an ecu to signal quicker to the throttle plate / injectors or whatever to act quicker than someone stabbing the throttle !

None of which has any effect on making a larger amount of power, because the underlying mapping and parameters of the engine (air in, fuel in etc) haven't changed, just the rate the throttle position ramps up. You may get to a certain position in the rev range slightly earlier after moving the throttle, but what happens at those revs will be no different.

The situation you're claiming never happens on a full power dyno run anyway. The throttle is held to the stop before measuring the run commences, with the dyno providing sufficient load to hold the engine at a static speed. Hit the button to start the run, and the load is released. The car never leaves full throttle until the end.

However, your evangelism surrounding these devices is clear. If that's what you want to believe, crack on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom