Sprint boosters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just so I understand.... in an automatic car, if you floor the accelerator and drop the parking brake, then keep your foot down non-stop on the kick-down switch until the car reached (say) 100 mph... how would a Sprint Booster make any difference?

I can see how it will make a difference when driving the car normally re in a variety of driving conditions, but I don't understand the science behind the claim that Speed Booster improves acceleration when driving in 'drag racing' mode.

Come on , seriously , it's right in front of you in plain sight !

Read it again and tell me !
Humour me. Assume I'm a technical ignoramus; lead me into the light...
Just so I understand.... in an automatic car, if you floor the accelerator and drop the parking brake, then keep your foot down non-stop on the kick-down switch until the car reached (say) 100 mph... how would a Sprint Booster make any difference?

I can see how it will make a difference when driving the car normally re in a variety of driving conditions, but I don't understand the science behind the claim that Speed Booster improves acceleration when driving in 'drag racing' mode.
That is exactly my point too. There is no science behind that claim. All it does - all it does - is alter how much throttle opening you get for a given pedal position at the lower end of the throttle pedal travel. Driven normally, the car will accelerate faster for a given amount of pedal, because the throttle plate will be further open, but you can achieve the same thing by giving it more wellie.

Think of it as the electronic equivalent of adjusting out the slack in a mechanical-only throttle cable from the Dark Ages. The car will feel faster, and it should certainly improve the known leisurely MB throttle response, but significantly improve out-and-out acceleration? Only a technical ignoramus would believe that...

Last edited:
In normal use the weight of a car can easily vary by 120 kg or more (perhaps 7% of the kerbweight), depending on how much fuel is in the tank (60 litres of petrol is 46 kg, 60 litres of diesel is 50 kg) and whether you have a passenger or not. IMHO this will be far more significant in terms of actual acceleration!

Wouldn't a simple binary software switch that goes from zero throttle to 100% throttle be the best solution for drag racing situations?

I.e. instead of shortening the accelerator pedal travel, why not eliminate it altogether?

Nothing there to persuade an objective observer that claims of half a second off the 0-60 time are anything but BS, though. See my post 42: "The car will feel faster, and it should certainly improve the known leisurely MB throttle response, but significantly improve out-and-out acceleration? Only a technical ignoramus would believe that..."

'S bollocks 3, innit...

(If I wanted a more 'sporty' drive from the CLS, I have no doubt I'd notice the difference with a Sprint Booster, but I'm used to Mercedes C mode gearchanges now. It's silly claims of imaginary standing-start acceleration improvements that get my goat...)

Last edited:
So you don't get the Dik Wipes white papers flaw at all despite me presenting it in in plain sight ?

I'm very disappointed in you but not as disappointed as a certain Mr Oldman would be....

Perhaps if you tell me exactly what the flaw in his reasoning is I'd get it then?

Investigation; pulling everything out into the cold light of day to establish fact from BS, and drawing conclusions therefrom.

Funny guy !

People claim BS when they can't see or understand something slightly technical.

Alrighty then...

The paper is flawed because he tested the device on his Mercedes that had no drive by wire electronic throttle body delay ( 0.2 secs ) then broadly claimed it doesn't work .

He should of been pragmatic and tested it on a vehicle with throttle latency especially an auto or at least commented concluding that it's not to say it could work on such a vehicle .

I've looked at this subject quite deeply about throttle controllers as I like to know the ins and outs of a ducks ass .......................

And there are gains sometimes to be had .
Funny guy !

Alrighty then...

The paper is flawed because he tested the device on his Mercedes that had no drive by wire electronic throttle body delay ( 0.2 secs ) then broadly claimed it doesn't work .

He should of been pragmatic and tested it on a vehicle with throttle latency especially an auto or at least commented concluding that it's not to say it could work on such a vehicle .

So can you please explain exactly how they work & how there are gains to be had? (genuine question) .

AFAIK, all they do is bring the throttle in quicker. Torque being a function of hp & rpm it might steepen up the torque curve a fraction but torque will still maxout at the same rpm. How can max HP or RPM be changed unless it is changing the mapping?

I just drive my wife's B class in S mode. Behaves just fine.

OK , these things have been around for a while , surely some trusted petrol head publication/TV show has actually tested them on a closed circuit/dragstrip taking proper measurements by now ?

Or is that not a thing anymore , we just have to trawl through YouTube looking at unscientific content ? . I actually like the idea of the thing working , my own C55 deserves a bit more response from its transmission despite it being called 'speedshift' :rolleyes: it is anything but.

Is there a trusted independent back to back test out there for us to read ?

Or when it's BS...

I work with facts; in this instance, scientific facts. I can see, and agree, that Sprint Booster can, logically, compensate for a lazy throttle response, and will make a car more responsive to the throttle, so seem faster. Half a second off the 0-60 time, though, on an automatic with the throttle wide open right from the start? BS.

Last edited:
I don't think that anyone can argue that the thing doesn't work, it does indeed sharpen-up the throttle response and noticeably changes the driving experience.

I think that the 'scientific' question would be whether a car fitted with SB can beat a similar standard car in various race situations? I have no idea (and personally it's an academic question for me anyway), but my non-scientific gut feeling is that any gains on the track are probably minimal.

Or when it's BS...

I work with facts; in this instance, scientific facts. I can see, and agree, that Sprint Booster can, logically, compensate for a lazy throttle response, and will make a car more responsive to the throttle, so seem faster. Half a second off the 0-60 time, though, on an automatic with the throttle wide open right from the start? BS.

What ever you think or believe is fine it's your opinion and you're entitled to it .

I've suffered enough retards this weekend and I'm going off riding the mountain bike with a visit to a beer garden 🍻

What ever you think or believe is fine it's your opinion and you're entitled to it .

I've suffered enough retards this weekend and I'm going off riding the mountain bike with a visit to a beer garden 🍻

From their website​

Will Sprint Booster increase my vehicle’s Horse Power?

NO . Sprint Booster will not increase the vehicle’s HP.
Sprint Booster is a device that reprograms the signal received from the accelerator pedal giving quicker throttle response on the vehicle and works within the manufacturer’s values.

Does the Sprint Booster affect any of the vehicle’s electronic systems?

Sprint Booster does not interfere and does not alter any parameters of any of the car’s electronic systems like can bus system, (ABS , ECU…etc )

Speaking as a retard; "Well, Duh!"

That graph adds nothing; we already know that the device works by electronically 'taking up the slack' in the throttle linkage, so of course on a rolling road run the throttle opening with it operating will be greater than without.

What ever you think or believe is fine it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. The only way to demonstrate that you are wrong would be on a drag strip, and I don't see that happening,

I should stick to your mountain bike in future...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom